PDA

View Full Version : Getting plugins written and updated: Kickstarter.com

jeric_synergy
02-23-2011, 01:00 PM
I've always thought there should be some easy method of enabling an "all or nothing" or "threshold" type auction so that plugin developers could be certain of some reward, or even funds to buy that 64 bit compiler, before they start on a given project.

Now there is: http://www.kickstarter.com/

pMG rather showed the way just recently, but with an existing product. This would also work for trusted developers who just have an idea.

Additionally, it would help quiet all the whinging from the 64-bit crowd. :hey:

JonW
02-23-2011, 02:39 PM
Newtek could set up something like Apple with it's applications.

Developers put their plugins on the Newtek sales site. Newtek takes a % for administration, some form of sliding scale for new plugins & the number of sales for that plugin/developer, so we don't get rubbish & Newtek doesn't waste time. Newtek adds value to LW.

The plugin could also be more easily locked to a key by Newtek providing a lock as part of their administration fee for more valuable plugins. It could be x% for un-keyed & y% for keyed.

The developer will know they have the best opportunity to sell more plugins. We can find the plugin easily without wasting our valuable time looking around the internet.

There could be a customer review page that we login to place our comments linked to each plugin if wish to do so.

Speaking for myself I don't have many plugins as I tend to make do as I'm usually in a rush & when the job is finished it doesn't matter anyway.

evenflcw
02-23-2011, 03:02 PM
NT really shouldn't take any cuts as the plugin developers help keep their customers happy and broaden their user base by adding functionality, keeping their software current and afloat between major updates. They should pamper the developers with support so they stay around. NT also has the option to (try and) buy-in. With more small 3rd parties, they have more stuff to pick from for integration. Essentially saving them time, money and risk (for doing the same inhouse).

In any case, charges will keep some developers out. Even good ones. So I'm against it if it can be avoided.

Rubbish can sell just aswell or even better than the good stuff. Charges alone will not keep rubbish out. Peer reviews, however, are effective against sorting out rubbish, and doesn't cost the good developers or NT anything.