PDA

View Full Version : animate texture.... HELP

richdj
02-23-2011, 08:28 AM
OK, I've been trying to do this for a couple of days and getting no-where, fast..

I'm creating a car rig tutorial, everything is going reasonably, until I get to creating flashing indicators. More so the luminosity. OK, I can animate the luminosity. But what I want to do is have a controller (null), that when it's on (rotated) the luminosity flashes (goes through the pre-made animation). When it's off (original position), then there is no flashing. I've tried looking at various options, including nodes (my knowledge level is way too low there). Anyone point me in the right direction? It needs to be a native tool, or free plugin.

Cheers
Rich

nickdigital
02-23-2011, 08:32 AM
OK, I've been trying to do this for a couple of days and getting no-where, fast..

I'm creating a car rig tutorial, everything is going reasonably, until I get to creating flashing indicators. More so the luminosity. OK, I can animate the luminosity. But what I want to do is have a controller (null), that when it's on (rotated) the luminosity flashes (goes through the pre-made animation). When it's off (original position), then there is no flashing. I've tried looking at various options, including nodes (my knowledge level is way too low there). Anyone point me in the right direction? It needs to be a native tool, or free plugin.

Cheers
Rich

You could have a layer with it's animation on a repeat cycle and then animate the opacity of that layer. So it's more about tuning the visibility of your animation on versus turning the actual cycle on-off.

richdj
02-23-2011, 08:40 AM
You could have a layer with it's animation on a repeat cycle and then animate the opacity of that layer. So it's more about tuning the visibility of your animation on versus turning the actual cycle on-off.

Excellent, that sounds spot on.. I've been looking at it far too long. Even played with the visibility. It just never occurred to me to animate it. Cheers Nick..

Rich

nickdigital
02-23-2011, 08:56 AM
If that doesn't work you might be able to do something with Master Channels.

After replying to your question I wasn't 100% sure what I said would help. That's what you get for being on the forums before you're fully awake. :)

richdj
02-23-2011, 10:51 AM
If that doesn't work you might be able to do something with Master Channels.

After replying to your question I wasn't 100% sure what I said would help. That's what you get for being on the forums before you're fully awake. :)

Just had a nightmare sorting it... But, it was all down to me not doing it right.. Works spot on.. Thanks again..

Rich

richdj
02-23-2011, 03:03 PM
OK, I had this working. Or so I thought. I've just done some more testing and the animated value is being ignored, and it's just using the rotation to add luminosity. I'll have another play tomorrow, but any further idea's welcome..

Rich

nickdigital
02-23-2011, 04:30 PM
Does the attached file help?

I have an opacity envelope on the driven that goes from frames 0-10 and have it linked to the bank channel of the driver. The driver is animating from frames 0-20 so the opacity envelope is timed differently now.

richdj
02-24-2011, 04:01 AM
Cheers Nick. This works. But, when I alter the animation to a repeat (and just tried adding keys), on/off. It still works as the driver over-ruling the dissolve animation. So it's on or off dependant on the driver. Not the driver showing the dissolve animation. Hope that makes sense..

Rich

nickdigital
02-24-2011, 09:04 AM
Try these files. The setup is admittedly crude.

In one setup there's two objects. One has the blinking animation. There are snap dissolves between the two controlled by the Blink01 null.

In the 2nd setup there's a surface with an image map that moves up and down to display two different colors. The opacity of that layer is driven by the Blink02 null.

The setups could be more efficient and better designed but they sorta accomplish what you want.

richdj
02-24-2011, 10:06 AM
Cheers Nick, I'll have a look shortly..

Rich