PDA

View Full Version : rendering object/scene slices

larkis
02-23-2011, 08:21 AM
How would I go about rendering slices of my scene so it could be put back together on multiple "planes" of glass in the real world ? What I basically want is something like a boolean intersection for the camera, where only a sliver of the scene is rendered at a time. Any tips would be great.

VonBon
02-23-2011, 10:24 AM
so you are making this to go on "Real Life" planes of glass or do you mean
like planes to reconstruct in a compositing program?

Lightwolf
02-23-2011, 11:29 AM
Tricky... A clip map applied to all items (referenced to a single NULL which you animate) that is basically black, white line, black again, could do it.
Coupled with all surfaces copied and flipped in the meshes, the flipped surfaces al getting the same luminous colour value (and not other shading). That would be the colouring for the areas in the geometry that has been "opened" due to the cut.

Cheers,
Mike

precedia
02-23-2011, 03:51 PM
How would I go about rendering slices of my scene so it could be put back together on multiple "planes" of glass in the real world ?

Maybe you could render out to a file format that holds z-buffer information (exr) and use post-processing to extract a range of values from the z-buffer to form your plane?

I'm not sure which compositing software deals the best with z-buffer information (or if Photoshop does). I think Blender has a compositing node for dealing with z-information.

One problem with this is that any culling done at render time will result in missing objects/polygons/surfaces depending on the camera view and this may not be what you want if you are painting the slices onto sheets of glass (where the users perspective along the sheets of glass will naturally result in obscuring objects).

Another idea is that Blender has render layers built into the software, so you could setup your scene with different objects on different render layers, one render layer for each sheet of glass you have in your physical setup. You set up a camera once and then render each layer, one per sheet of glass. One problem with this is that you need to decide beforehand which objects will be on which render layer and therefore on which sheet of glass.

VonBon
02-23-2011, 04:56 PM
i wanna see a picture of it when your finished, if you can show it.