PDA

View Full Version : CG File Names

GregGerlach
09-30-2003, 08:50 PM
Has anyone found a solution to this problem (other than getting a bigger monitor)? I recently did a project with 20 lower thirds. The problem was that when I went to edit in VT-Edit, I had the file bin open to the directory that contained all my CG pages but even with "Large Icon" selected, I couldn't read the lower thirds; all I had to go by was the file names which of course were a pre-determined numbers assigned by the CG. When I went to select a lower third to insert in the timeline, I had to toggle back to the CG to find out what number my lower third was. It would be great if we could assign file names with words directly in the CG like you can with other CG programs. CG does have a file bin and you can change the file names there, but once you click save, CG senses the files are gone and makes duplicate files with those numbers. Is there a solution I'm missing or is this a feature request?

Greg Gerlach
Lexington, KY

bradl
10-05-2003, 09:57 PM
Greg try this:

You can add Alias names to files (right click file | properties) then right click at the column headings and add the column 'Alias'. Now you can click this heading to see and sort by the alias or choose 'Name with Extension' to return to previous name view. This does work with Large Icon view.

PIZAZZ
10-06-2003, 07:08 AM
Whether you are using VT for Live production or not, you can set the CG or a DDR to the DSK input on the switcher. Then open a vtvision window and assign it to DSK. Previewing your pages through a VTVision window is fairly painless.

We use this method to check the spelling quickly instead of using the CG program itself. You also can check placement consistency this way too.

GregGerlach
10-06-2003, 11:03 AM
Seems like adding an alias works as long as you don't add a CG page within the CG's numbered line-up. Example: You have 10 pages and you want to make a CG page similar to page 5. You hit clone. A page 6 is created similar to 5 but the alias you created for the original 5 stays with the new 5. All aliases created for pages after the new one are now one page off. Of course, the solution is to always remember to drag cloned pages to the end of the list but sometimes you want to keep your pages in a certain order within CG. Like when you make bullet points that you want to add on with each successive page and a client comes back and wants to add a couple more bullets. Having those new "bullet" pages down at the end of the list is not good. The CG "pages" list could become disorganized very quickly. The VT3 needs more file naming flexibility like other CG programs have. It cannot be that difficult. I have an Inscriber CG program that is over six years old and it has such flexibility.

J_Camp
10-06-2003, 04:14 PM
Here's another reason that I've asked for a resizable thumbnail view in the DDR as an option in the "Feature Request" section.