PDA

View Full Version : 'Busman's Holiday' for 3D artist's

gerry_g
02-22-2011, 05:24 PM
I just saw this for a sculptors exhibition and thought yeah, I spend enough time looking at these already, wonder where he got the idea ?.

This has to be proof positive art is dead.

http://www.tate.org.uk/modern/exhibitions/gabrielorozco/default.shtm?utm

cresshead
02-22-2011, 06:04 PM
most recent art will never get to be seen in an art gallery...you get the pompous poop the opera crowd call 'art'...unmade beds, chain-sawn livestock and dis-guarded bricks and tyres...

there's some fantastic recent art but you won't find it in a gallery...more likely on a dvd , children's book, graphic novel, video game, a toy or a phone app.

Silkrooster
02-25-2011, 09:37 PM
Isn't there some kind of hidden code that states for it to be art in a gallery you must die first? lol.

Captain Obvious
02-25-2011, 11:51 PM
most recent art will never get to be seen in an art gallery...you get the pompous poop the opera crowd call 'art'...unmade beds, chain-sawn livestock and dis-guarded bricks and tyres...

there's some fantastic recent art but you won't find it in a gallery...more likely on a dvd , children's book, graphic novel, video game, a toy or a phone app.
Oh don't be so narrow-minded. Art isn't only pretty pictures. Pretty pictures are also art, but that does NOT mean that an unmade bed cannot also be art. It is not the actual composition that makes it art; it is something far more complex and less tangible. The thing that makes art art is — just as with colours — just the mere perception of it as being such. I'm a huge fan of the aesthetic side of art; the kind that's overwhelmingly more common than all the others combined, but that does not mean that a conceptual installation piece is not art simply because it does not result in a clearly defined, easily interpreted and aesthetically appealing showpiece.

The fact that you don't personally like conceptual art is fine, of course. I can't be everyone's cup of tea. However, I find your attitude about it quite odd (and frankly, a little bit insulting). You say most recent art won't be seen in an art gallery? Well, honestly, if that's the case: when was the last time you actually went to an art gallery? Most of them do not display the works of Orozco. In fact, I would bet that the vast majority of art galleries out there cater to an audience far more like yourself (and myself, for that matter). It is also worth keeping in mind that Tate Modern, who are currently doing the Orozco exhibition, is not actually an art gallery. It is a museum for modern art (hence the name), and there is a world of difference.

Seriously, I would expect you guys —*being artists yourselves — to be more respectful of other types of art than the ones you produce.