PDA

View Full Version : lwhub.wordpress.com

MentalFish
02-22-2011, 09:17 AM
Over at the LightWave Skype chat ( http://tinyurl.com/lwskype ) there was some talks of a community site for all things nodal ( I think, correct me if I am wrong ). I jumped on the idea and registered lwhub.wordpress.com

If Jeric and others who was having this idea want to take over control of the site, ill let you have it. I just wanted to kick start it and add some thoughts.

What if we make this site a completely "open to all who wants to contribute" solution? Post LW related news, write tutorials, edit pages of tips and tricks and so on.

http://lwhub.wordpress.com

As of right now 3 people apart from the lwhub user itself has been added. If you want to contribute or have access in any way or form, I'll add you to the site, just send me a PM for now.

OnlineRender
02-23-2011, 09:03 AM
:bump: anarchy

probiner
02-23-2011, 10:19 AM
It's a nice initiative =)
But, so you named it after they thing ppl want to see dead and burried... the hub... Is it to be provocative? :D

MentalFish
02-23-2011, 11:36 AM

:thumbsup:

It's a nice initiative =)
But, so you named it after they thing ppl want to see dead and burried... the hub... Is it to be provocative? :D

Yes, I am here to cause trouble :D

But, anyone interested / willing to pick up the torch? I have little to no time running this show.

nickdigital
02-23-2011, 11:43 AM
How would this site be different than the other LW resources out there?

NewTek forums
lwplugindb
Liberty3D
SpinQuad
3dJunkies
etc

Just curious.

jeric_synergy
02-23-2011, 11:52 AM
Yeah, I'm not a fan of 'anarchy'.

OnlineRender
02-23-2011, 12:02 PM
Now that is the million $$$ question .

Lewis
02-23-2011, 12:05 PM
How would this site be different than the other LW resources out there?

NewTek forums
lwplugindb
Liberty3D
SpinQuad
3dJunkies
etc

Just curious.

:dito::dito:

OnlineRender
02-23-2011, 12:14 PM
Tbh I don't think 3djunkies even deserves to be in the same class as the rest,its wip . So cheers for the comparison but iam fully happy to implement something /dev time ..

KSSO
02-23-2011, 12:16 PM
Very nice, great idea

MentalFish
02-23-2011, 12:36 PM
Good question nickdigital

( This is my take on it )

It's an open for all blog and resource site where you can post about your LW training/plugin/lscript/showreel/++.

In a way it isn't needed as long as we have forums such as this to tell about new stuff we have made, but with the ability to create organized and structured content (hierarchies of pages and tagged posts), it can become a valuable resource over time.

If I or any of the admins gets hit by a truck there will be several others to catch the slack. If the server goes down, WordPress will be on the case to have it fixed. If someone gets fed up and stop doing anything for the site, it wont die. In other words, no single point/person of failure, and when the site has gathered hundreds or thousands of posts and pages, it can't just disappear from the face of the planet due to any single person or thing ( unless hijacked and fudged up ).

Personally I'd like to see a structured digest of all the black magic LScript tips-and-tricks people might have, posted under the LScript page. Apart from that I'd like to subscribe to the http://lwhub.wordpress.com/feed/

Will this work? Perhaps, perhaps not. Some nitwit might get invited, promoted to admin and delete the whole shebang :) Admins, should/could take weekly backups of the site by using the export tool.

nickdigital
02-23-2011, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the info. I guess having a library of information that isn't dependent on a single person is good. Seeing the demise of Flay highlighted that.

erikals
02-26-2011, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the info. I guess having a library of information that isn't dependent on a single person is good. Seeing the demise of Flay highlighted that.

...and some other sites, i think this might be a good idea...

OnlineRender
04-27-2011, 04:11 AM
:bump: dont let a good idea die

MentalFish
04-27-2011, 04:18 AM
So, anyone interested in becoming editors of this hub? Write or refer to news items related to LW, post a link to a LW tutorial or plugin...?

vector
04-27-2011, 05:06 AM
I use my blog (http://lightwavebox.blogspot.com/) to share resources, news, tutorials, etc and for me: when I havenīt my markers/favorites at hand (not using my computers) and I need anything LW related.

My english is not good but I could provide info as links, plugins, etc... or you always can take that info directly from my blog...

Regards.

Vector

MentalFish
04-27-2011, 05:54 AM
Thanks, too bad wordpress.com doesn't support aggregation from other sites. That way it could have been an automatic aggreator of many LW sites. I could perhaps start paying for a hosting solution, but then we might end up with unpaid bills again and a site that goes down...

OnlineRender
04-27-2011, 09:23 AM
Thanks, too bad wordpress.com doesn't support aggregation from other sites. That way it could have been an automatic aggreator of many LW sites. I could perhaps start paying for a hosting solution, but then we might end up with unpaid bills again and a site that goes down...

technically it does , just in a round about fashion , for example . . .

Jommla can integrate with word press , acting as a hub / third party network ,I am working on something in which kinda does what you mean.

jeric_synergy
04-27-2011, 01:05 PM
I've got a few up at my blog, but hey, it's a lot of work explaining something you don't understand! So, it's more like "Node of the About-a-Month" than "Node of the Week".

Also, I may have to add a new category: many hints I'd like to post about don't fit within "Node of the Week" or "Plugin of the Week". Like that new thing I just learned about importing Menu 'branches'.....

MentalFish
04-28-2011, 01:26 AM
technically it does , just in a round about fashion , for example . . .

Jommla can integrate with word press , acting as a hub / third party network ,I am working on something in which kinda does what you mean.

I know WordPress can aggregate feeds, but not as a free blog on the wordpress.com site (not allowed to install plugins), it needs to run on a hosted server so I can install plugins to do the aggregation.
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/tags/aggregator

BigHache
05-04-2011, 01:12 PM
I know this potentially enters into the situation of dependency again, but I have a hosting account that allows multiple sites that I'd be willing to offer space to. I've had the account for several years and I'm already paying for it every month. It would probably be best to get a top level domain for it. I'd chip in for that too if this is a useful thing for the community. Thoughts?

OnlineRender
05-04-2011, 01:33 PM
the server I want is $140 a month , but it rocks ! but atm I can run multiple scripts , "Swine "managed to set up 1 login for 6 different scripts ,all on the same server , WP , Clipbucket , PHPforum , zencart and cant remember the rest :)