PDA

View Full Version : Bitmap, Png or Jpeg for render's ?

1080p
02-21-2011, 11:39 PM
Hi what format to use for video renders ? Bitmap, Png or Jpeg for render's ?

moussepipi2000
02-22-2011, 12:13 AM
i personnaly use tga with alpha channel.

OnlineRender
02-22-2011, 12:35 AM
Jpeg will have lossy and degenerate the image , Png will hold transparency and give higher quality of render . generally I export png then compile the render .

kopperdrake
02-22-2011, 03:23 AM
Used to be a tga man myself, but the last few weeks I've moved over to png files and they're much easier to use (imho), with the built in transparency they move into Photoshop ready cut. Plus they're smaller than targa files, which can only help.

Tartiflette
02-22-2011, 05:50 AM
For LDR, PNGs all the way (portability, weight because of the non-destructive compression, and embedded alpha channel). :)
For HDR, most of the time HDRs and probably OpenEXRs when i finally buy my license of EXRTrader ! :D

Cheers,
Laurent aka Tartiflette :)

lardbros
02-22-2011, 06:11 AM
Oh good to hear... I always use .png for the exact same reasons as above, low in size, lossless compression and embedded alpha, for handy compositing in Photoshop. Only downside for animations is that Premiere and After Effects seems to cope better with other file formats. Must be tricky to decompress a large stream of .png's on the fly?! It's certainly not too slow to be usable :D

I've been meaning to buy exrTrader too... I'll have to look into that again...

Lightwolf
02-22-2011, 07:18 AM
I usually still render to TGAs when it comes to LDR images, just because they're extremely easy to read (and feels quite snappy) and the storage advantage compared to PNGs doesn't make that much of a difference.
PNGs in some cases though.
However, when it comes to renders then it's (as some might guess) OpenEXR all the way (and then straight into Fusion).

Cheers,
Mike

speismonqui
02-22-2011, 08:18 AM
JPG for personal previews and web galleries (no need for higher quality) . PNG or TGA for final render/production.
BMP? mmmm.... I think is a good quality format, but I've never used it.

Richard Hebert
02-22-2011, 08:28 AM
This is an interesting topic. I personally had to resort to using .tif files for compositing in After Effects (5.5 Mac). PNG's seemed to have a quality drop probably for the reason listed by Lardbros. These problems will probably vanish after an upgrade overhaul.

Richard

OnlineRender
02-22-2011, 12:45 PM
JPG for personal previews and web galleries (no need for higher quality) . PNG or TGA for final render/production.
BMP? mmmm.... I think is a good quality format, but I've never used it.

for me LW BMP output into AE or even worse Primer , the colour channels get messed up

bazsa73
02-22-2011, 01:16 PM
deluxe RLA here or TIFFs, but png sometimes as well

lardbros
02-22-2011, 01:43 PM
BMP's are completely lossless, and also uncompressed, so you suffer the wrath of massive file sizes! Unless there is a new BMP format out?

Titus
02-22-2011, 08:09 PM
openExr when I want to have the best color range. Tif LZW compressed when is a basic job.

jeric_synergy
02-23-2011, 01:29 AM
BMP is a totally braindead format, without ANY data-compression: it's just something stupid Microsoft threw together in an hour. Even IFF is better than BMP.

PNG is the way to go. Lossless data compression, embedded alpha, what's not to love?