PDA

View Full Version : A Tanadrine Studios Original Sci-Fi animated series: Delura Ep 002

Ryan Roye
02-21-2011, 07:26 PM
http://www.tanadrinestudios.com/Delura/DeluraEP002_LinkPicSM.jpg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUaRbZyzUPo) (youtube picture link)

Delura continues slowly but surely. My goal is to get to the point to where I can produce a 3-6 minute episode once a month and I almost reached it this time around. I had challenges regarding the Silgrarian rig (the green/white creature in the pic) that really slowed down my production, but being so far along in the animation process it would have forced me to scrap a lot of work so I bit the bullet and worked with what I had. The next episode that features a Silgrarian will have completely re-done movement controls which I hope will eliminate the difficulties/limitations I had. I also have ideas as to how I can further improve my humanoid rig as I had issues with IK getting confused when the character is not upright.

If you're into picture-perfect "pixar-like" animation, Delura will most definitely disappoint you. Its not that I don't care about how my projects look... its that I prefer to learn by doing something I enjoy and always striving doing better on the next project, sometimes focusing on a very specific element of improvement such as lighting and rigging. I also believe in the idea that it is possible to create a compelling animated story with limited resources... something that's more than just a short or a one-time deal. I know my stuff doesn't even hold a candle to a lot of stuff out there, but I do feel that with every video I produce there is noticeable improvement. I hope you all see that too. All 3d elements, sound effects, music and post production work was created entirely myself, with textures utilized/edited from CGtextures.com.

evolross
02-21-2011, 07:35 PM
Very cool. I can definitely see your passion in your work. Keep it up.

02-23-2011, 02:45 PM
LOVE it!! :lwicon:

evenflcw
02-23-2011, 03:42 PM
Finally stuff are starting to roll out! And great stuff too. Nice animation as the silgrarian handes Aidens body. And nice wind effect in the intro. Quite paintery and fitting with the style overall. How was that done? particles and sprite voxels?

There was one thing though that lessened my enjoyment abit. Aidens scream was much too loud for my ears relative to the rest. It's ok with some high sounds, but that was too high imho. It made me lower the sound in order to safeguard against the next high volume sound that might come. Unfortunately it was mostly the silgrarian speaking softly and in a low volume.

Dashermkii
02-23-2011, 04:13 PM
That was awesome the one scream was a bit loud its was very real like but it almost made me turn the volume down.
Aside from that i liked it a lot.
Is it strange that i already like the story line? it has alot of mystery to it already.
I really liked it and am waitng for for the next one. how may episode are you planing on making?

calilifestyle
02-23-2011, 05:28 PM
Yup this great. I say they are planning for well over 100 episodes. after this is episode 002, hehe. If they can do i'm down for it. I just wish they had a website. this way they could at lest get some adwords income. Maybe even blip.tv would bring them some cash.

Ryan Roye
02-23-2011, 06:47 PM
Yeah, I think overall I need to make it a habit of normalizing my sound effects a bit more. Now that I finally have time to sit back and watch my work I noticed Aiden's voice gets too soft towards the end too.

There's a bunch of other stuff that could be improved too which is in my "pay attention to this next episode" list, like setting the particle dissolve distance too short, object clipping that eluded me, making a habit of moving my humanoid characters by their object box instead of their "Center of Gravity" bone and misc rigging improvements (especially for the Silgrarian!)... its a constant learning experience. I'm hoping by the time I get to episode 20 I'll be scratching my head wondering how I tolerated my own work... and I mean that in a good way.

Anyways, some facts:

-The landscape particles were simple white sprites with their default settings, set to "velocity", so the faster they went, the more they bent in that direction. I wasn't too picky about small details, though part of me regrets not putting some "ground wind" in the shots.

-The holographic screens were AVI files generated by Flash CS3. AVI files (especially large ones) can bog down Lightwave, so I made proxy image placeholders for any screens the characters didn't interact with.

-Aiden's scream was made after I jabbed at my spouse's armpit during an unrelated outtake... worked like a charm but it'll probably bite me in the butt later, needless to say many obscenities were shouted at me ;). One of these days I'll have some funds squirreled away for some better sound equipment that can handle loud outtakes without distortion.

-My characters are animated entirely with IKbooster with the exception of biped legs. I've yet to master it, but I like to think I'm getting there slowly but surely.

-Delura will go on as long as it holds my interest... considering that I have enough script to constitute 15 episodes already, I'm really doubting it'll be anytime soon.

-No website yet... yeah we should probably have one but I think we need to focus on getting more work under our belt just a little bit longer before considering it.

NOTE: For the sake of viewer convenience and keeping a clean messageboard, I'll be making a universal Delura thread when episode 3 is done so I'm not making a new one every episode. This will make it easier for current and newcoming viewers to keep up with the series. My goal is one video a month, wish me luck! :)