PDA

View Full Version : Delete an object in layout ?

1080p
02-21-2011, 05:42 PM
All I see is 'Clear All Objects' button, how do I delete an object in layout ? I wrongly sent an object from modeler to layout.

UnCommonGrafx
02-21-2011, 05:45 PM
-

Press the above key.
Think: Add to scene; subtract from scene.
Best on the keypad.

jeric_synergy
02-21-2011, 07:30 PM
"Clear"/"Clear Selected Item".

Note how the hotkey is right there in the menus beside it, but due to the nature of the hyphen, it's easy to miss.

wrench
02-22-2011, 07:36 AM
In Modeler make sure you have the Layers Panel open. In it, the last column show a dot. If you click the dot it means that the layer you have clicked won't be sent to Layout when you transfer an object. Ideal for tool or test layers that you don't want cluttering up your scene.

B

prometheus
02-22-2011, 12:05 PM
Here we go again..some people will disagree with this, but I have never come to terms with the - workflow for deleting objects in the scene as I mentioned before.

I could feel good with - for deleting keyframes and + for adding keyframes, and having delete for Deleting/removing an object in layout.

In modeler the - works for deleting object as well together with the delete key and are thus double function occupied shortcuts wich are unnecessary.

And as mentioned before, to me It seems that many newbie people just hit this wall "how can I delete an object" when using lightwave.

Using the delete key is also more consistent with what you do in modeler and also to what many other software has as a default delete object key.

Of course ..if you use it very much you might not have any issues with that default shortkey for removing objects, but to me It just donīt feel natural.

Michael

jeric_synergy
02-23-2011, 01:38 AM
I could feel good with - for deleting keyframes and + for adding keyframes, and having delete for Deleting/removing an object in layout.
Madness. "+" is a SHIFT key, too much work.

Layout is about animation, not objects, so making KEYFRAMES should be the focus, and it is. RETURN is nearly the easiest key to hit, and DELETE does not require a shift, so they are the correct and proper keys to use for manipulating keyframes.

If you're deleting so many objects in Layout it needs to be easier than "-", you are doing it wrong.

prometheus
02-23-2011, 03:13 AM
Madness. "+" is a SHIFT key, too much work.

Layout is about animation, not objects, so making KEYFRAMES should be the focus, and it is. RETURN is nearly the easiest key to hit, and DELETE does not require a shift, so they are the correct and proper keys to use for manipulating keyframes.

If you're deleting so many objects in Layout it needs to be easier than "-", you are doing it wrong.

I so Totally disagree with you, layout will in the future not be about animation but modeling as well in core.

To me the natural mind set of deleting removing objects is the delete key.
It is not based on how it should work on a mathematical logic perspective but on how windows users have been using most software from the start back in the beginning, from simple deletion of text in word to deleting segments, lines in illustrator etc.

try deleting objects in rhino,vue with the minus key:) and a whole lot of other software.
I believe shorcuts needs to be set to what is close to mind or what users mostly have been used to or to what is common standard mostly.

I donīt follow you on the- + keys, what do you mean shift keys?

The only reason, wich could be the major reason to keep return and delete key for keyframes is probably the keyboard button location close to the arrow keys for quick navigation when working with it.

Michael

evenflcw
02-23-2011, 08:40 AM
Imho, the ultimate and most obvious setup, and which I've used always is

Enter - Add keyframe
Backspace - Delete keyframe

Delete - removes selected.

Motivation: Enter and backspace are both big buttons and right next to eachother. As such they are a perfect match for related functions with frequent use and (animation) workflows requiring attention on the screen rather than the keyboard. Personally I never understood how anyone could have figured delete was a better option. Maybe it was because of stupid mac keyboards, which lack dedicated backspace key.

Delete usually delete what you can actively select. You cannot delete selected keyframes in Layout (would be nice if you could!). Thus delete should delete what you can select. In Layout that is items, in GE that is keys, in modeler that is points, polygons or edges.

prometheus
02-23-2011, 08:46 AM
Imho, the ultimate and most obvious setup, and which I've used always is

Enter - Add keyframe
Backspace - Delete keyframe

Delete - removes selected.

Motivation: Enter and backspace are both big buttons and right next to eachother. As such they are a perfect match for related functions with frequent use and (animation) workflows requiring attention on the screen rather than the keyboard. Personally I never understood how anyone could have figured delete was a better option. Maybe it was because of stupid mac keyboards, which lack dedicated backspace key.

Delete usually delete what you can actively select. You cannot delete selected keyframes in Layout (would be nice if you could!). Thus delete should delete what you can select. In Layout that is items, in GE that is keys, in modeler that is points, polygons or edges.

Sounds like a decent workflow and a good motivation for what you describe.

Michael