PDA

View Full Version : Preset Location

SteveH
02-21-2011, 08:27 AM
Our IT guys - being the wonderful supportive guys that they are :devil: - have locked anything that is installed on C:\program files on out new Windows 7 machines. Unfortunately that means you can't write to the presets folder. This is not good.

I see in layout there is a Edit>Path Options - and if I click on use custom paths and give the presets option a path - then you would think I could put the presets anywhere I want. But nooooooooooooooo.
I guess I don't see how I'm supposed to rea dand write off the preset shelf that is in a custom location.

I'm sure it's something simple and easy (it always is) - so....anyone have the answer for me?

nickdigital
02-21-2011, 09:07 AM
It works for me. I have mine directed to C:\config\Presets here at home. At work I have it pathed to a network folder so my entire animation team is working out of the same folder.

Where are you directing yours to?

nietzwaar
02-21-2011, 01:45 PM
do you not have a second workspace in which you van save?

SteveH
02-21-2011, 07:44 PM
Nickdigital - I foudn out the inability to write to anything installed in program files is a security "feature" of windows 7. If you dont' have administrator previlages you can't write toany of those folders.

So th epath I setup is c:\Newtek\resets - but like I said - it doesn't look there in the preset window - atleast not that I can see.

Nietsware - yes I do have the location above - but darned if I can get Lightwave to see it. Operator error I'm sure!

nickdigital
02-21-2011, 08:45 PM
So th epath I setup is c:\Newtek\resets - but like I said - it doesn't look there in the preset window - atleast not that I can see.

Just to be clear, you have an object loaded in Layout and the surface editor open right? Presets won't appear unless there's something for the preset to be applied to (a volumetric light, a hypervoxel setting, a surface, etc).

SteveH
02-22-2011, 08:40 AM
Well another day goes by - and now my new path works just fine.
I guess it was just me....Or maybe that chicken I sacrificed last night did the trick! Thanks to all for their help. :)