PDA

View Full Version : Save Transformed for All Selected

JBT27
02-21-2011, 07:21 AM
I could do with saving several scene objects in their scene positions, but of course the regular Save Transformed only does one at a time.

I've tried both Mike Green's and Colin Peterson's Lscripts, but both fail with 'illegal arithmetic operation on data type', and Mike Green's would also not accept a regular filename, like 'Objects_Trans'.

So is there anything out there that anyone knows of that actually works for LW10. I assumed being Lscripts these might work, assuming they ever did, but something's up with them both.

Thanks.

Julian.

Nicolas Jordan
02-21-2011, 07:30 AM
I'm also looking for a reliable way to do this. I think this is a function that should really be native to Lightwave.

JBT27
02-21-2011, 07:39 AM
Indeed - a fundamental workflow for alot of scenes.

Basic stuff that trips you up and slows you down all the time.

I'm looking, but not finding anything other than those two, apparently broken, scripts.

Julian.

Svenart
02-21-2011, 08:18 AM
@ JBT27: Are you using a mac?

Maybe scene2modeler can help you:

http://svenart.de/lscripts.htm

If it is not working, please let me know.

JBT27
02-21-2011, 10:38 AM
Thanks. I'm on Windows, but does this need the Hub running?

I've tried it - the Layout portion seems to do something, but I cannot get the objects into Modeler ... but then I'm running 32bit Modeler and 64bit Layout ... is that going to screw it up?

Julian.

Svenart
02-21-2011, 10:44 AM
after you have started scene2modeler_layout.ls in layout, open a new object in modeler and start scene2modeler_modeler.ls. Then It should work. 32bit or 64bit is not important I think.

I just tested it with lw10 and here it is working. Not sure about the hub, but I dont think it must run.

JBT27
02-21-2011, 11:08 AM
Well, it seems clear enough, but I cannot get it to work.

Launching the scene2modeler_layout.ls brings up a dialog, and there's a pause when I click OK, so presumably that's doing what it does.

But then in Modeler I launch scene2modeler_modeler.ls in a new blank object, but nothing, no objects, no dialog.

If it works for you, then clearly I'm doing something wrong, though bear in mind these two LW installations, 32bit and 64bit are physically separated in two folder hierarchies. But you say that should make no difference.

I'd love to get it working though.

Julian.

Svenart
02-21-2011, 11:13 AM
scene2modeler_layout.ls saves the transformed objects into a subfolder called "data". You will find this folder where the scripts are. Scene2modeler_modeler.ls should load all this objects and delete fromt the data folder.

How much objects are you trying to save? If it is more than 100 than it can take a while.

64 or 32 bit should really not be the problem.

Can you try to locate the objects in the data folder after starting the layoutscript?

JBT27
02-21-2011, 11:19 AM
Ah now ... this data folder ... let me just go check on that ... I suspect that's where mine is falling down. Back shortly :)

Julian.

Cageman
02-21-2011, 11:34 AM
http://www.chrisepeterson.com/lscripts.php

Look for SaveTransformed.

:)

JBT27
02-21-2011, 01:45 PM
http://www.chrisepeterson.com/lscripts.php

Look for SaveTransformed.

I did, and I tried it - see my opening post ... if it works for you, please tell me how :)

Julian.

JBT27
02-21-2011, 01:55 PM
scene2modeler_layout.ls saves the transformed objects into a subfolder called "data". You will find this folder where the scripts are. Scene2modeler_modeler.ls should load all this objects and delete fromt the data folder.

How much objects are you trying to save? If it is more than 100 than it can take a while.

64 or 32 bit should really not be the problem.

Can you try to locate the objects in the data folder after starting the layoutscript?

It's only about 8 objects so far, and not large objects at that, maybe 2K-4K polys each.

But, and I'm sorry if I'm being thick, where is this data folder?

As I was saying, my 32bit Modeler is in one program hierarchy, and the 64bit Layout is in another, so they don't share folders. So although they may talk to each other OK, they are not in the same neighbourhood, unless they both address some data folder in Documents and Settings ... ??

Julian.

Svenart
02-21-2011, 02:04 PM
the datafolder is in the same folder where you have your scene2modeler script stored.

do you have both scripts in the same folder? If not, this should be the problem.

jeric_synergy
02-21-2011, 02:10 PM
But, and I'm sorry if I'm being thick, where is this data folder?
Not beating up on you but: can't you do a global search of your machine for folders with the string "data" in their name???

++
Any script that ends in "*.ls" is uncompiled, and you could add functionality to it.

Cageman
02-21-2011, 02:27 PM
I did, and I tried it - see my opening post ... if it works for you, please tell me how :)

Julian.

Hmm... not sure what you are doing, but I've actually used it to save out over 300 objects from a scenefile.

JBT27
02-22-2011, 02:48 AM
No - go ahead - if I'm missing something obvious, please say so. :D

Yes, of course I did a global search!

These scripts end .lsc, otherwise my next thought was to see if I could set them to look in a specific folder.

As I have been saying all along, I am using my Modeler 32bit, which is in one install folder, and my Layout 64bit, which is in another - when you install both versions of LW, they go in separate install folders. So the two scripts are not in the same folder, which is obviously now why they are not working.

I'm using 32bit Modeler because of older plugins, but maybe I re-look at 64bit then, unless being able to set a folder location for the Data folder is an easy addition to the Lscript?

Thanks.

Julian.

JBT27
02-22-2011, 03:24 AM
... :foreheads

... or, place the scripts in the same folder and then load the respective scripts into 32bit Modeler and 64bit Layout ... geez ... talk about needing more sleep.

Yep, working now, and working well ... thank you :D

Julian.

akademus
02-22-2011, 04:20 AM
cp_savetransformed.ls up and running here on lw 9.6 64bit on win7 without any problems. i dont know if its working in 10 but it should...

it even asks you do you want to save selected ones or all of them. very handy...

JBT27
02-22-2011, 05:32 AM
I got Sven's working now, but I couldn't get cp_savetransformed.ls working in 10 - it reported an arithmetic error - I mention that above somewhere, first post I think. In fact Mike Green's tripped on the same error as well.

I'll take another look, but Sven's is pretty good, excellent in fact.

Julian.

geo_n
02-22-2011, 05:45 AM
Been using Mikes script to save transformed in layout for a long time.
Subpatches have to be off or set to 0 for me.
Then I open the folder of the collected lwo with Mike's plugin in modeller and they're distributed by layers. I then subpatch the ones required before I export the single transformed lwo to 3dmax.
Works pretty good for lwo to 3dmax workflow incase fbx is being difficult.

Svenart
02-22-2011, 08:09 AM
@ JBT27: great to hear that it is working. If you have any ideas to improve this just let me know.