PDA

View Full Version : DEAD ISLAND TRAILER "blood and gore " awesome animation

OnlineRender
02-20-2011, 11:50 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Old41bsSXU

Just Stunning .

Surrealist.
02-20-2011, 02:42 PM
I thought that the concept was great. I love the backwards approach to that. And the music was cool.

oliversimonnet
02-20-2011, 03:48 PM
woah that's a cool trailer. love how it goes backwards.
kinda sad tho haha happy family on holiday (i gather) and in the end they probably all die

jameswillmott
02-20-2011, 03:50 PM
Dead kids don't do it for me. The concept was good though.

probiner
02-20-2011, 04:07 PM
I really don't like the whole zombie thing. It just shows how much fear and how much violence we nourish underneath, secretly, for each other.

Still, the editing is quite nice.

Cheers

Oedo 808
02-20-2011, 04:57 PM
Reminded me of this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_HInDh3eng). Have to agree the dead kid doesn't do it for me either. Probably had less impact for those reasons and also the first time I watched it I actually missed the main storytelling element in it because I was looking everywhere but where I should have been.

wrench
02-20-2011, 05:18 PM
It was made by Axis Animation, but I don't know if they used LightWave on it. They certainly used to be a big LightWave house.

B

lightmann
02-20-2011, 08:03 PM
wow,it likes me too.could be interesting to know some technical aspects from the guys of axis around this proyect.Seriously a great piece.

Hopper
02-20-2011, 09:06 PM
And the music was cool.
Heh .. I didn't hear the music .. I left it muted.. Link Wray (The Wild One) was playing so I let it go... Way better with surf music. :) The mix made the whole thing very 'Quentin Tarantino' like.

inquisitive
02-20-2011, 09:15 PM
glorified gore geez - no wonder young kids are growing up warped.

JeffrySG
02-20-2011, 09:18 PM
Dead kids don't do it for me. The concept was good though.

Sad to say that I agree. I'm a huge zombie fan and love the Lef4Dead series. I must say that I'm very happy there are no kids in those (L4D) games. Maybe having a little girl makes me think different than I did before.

I also agree with everyone else! Love the backwards theme and music was perfect for it. Kind of reminded me of the last scenes from Donnie Darko in a way.

geo_n
02-20-2011, 09:29 PM
Awesome for the disturbed mind. Too violent but I'm sure fans would disagree.
I think resident evil presented gore and horror not to such extremes back then. Now games are over the top.
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/playstation-ps3-murder-kendall-anderson,news-10182.html

Thats why these games don't do well on this side, except for gta. lol.

OnlineRender
02-21-2011, 01:01 AM
It was made by Axis Animation, but I don't know if they used LightWave on it. They certainly used to be a big LightWave house.

B

Axis Glasgow ? , one of the best Scottish Animation companies around , Axis do amazing work .

cresshead
02-21-2011, 01:55 AM
have you seen the making of video with the live damage layers?

Dexter2999
02-21-2011, 02:07 AM
I see lots of references to "backwards" but technically, the video was going both ways. The beginning was going forward. The end moved backwards. They met in the middle. Then cut to a vacation video of the happy family.

I know. I can be nitpicky sometimes.

probiner
02-21-2011, 03:23 AM
Thats why these games don't do well on this side, except for gta. lol.

You just couldn't rule out to shoot a drug dealer, steal his car, diver over an old lady, get into a plane, be chased by the air force, para-glide to desert area, snipe every driver on the lost route, get chased by the cops..., by SWAT..., by the FBI..., by the army, steal the army's tank, drive it to the nearest town and roll over everything, and when you are about to die, buy an hot dog from a stand, could you? :D

IgnusFast
02-21-2011, 06:56 AM
have you seen the making of video with the live damage layers?

Is there a link for that? I did some idle Googling and couldn't locate one...

Ernest
02-21-2011, 02:43 PM
It was nice and cute. My only problem with it was that it was nowhere near violent enough for me. Where were the rivers of blood pouring out of every cut and dismembered limb, like in all the 70s animes that I was raised on as a child?

Cageman
02-21-2011, 03:16 PM
The story, editing and sound is what makes this work. Well done Axis!

That said, I think it falls terribly into Uncanney Valley (which actually fits the title: Dead Island).. jokes aside... not only that it falls into Uncanney Valley; it builds a house there as well. Not all shots do this, but the majority of them do.

BUT.. as I mentioned, the idea, story and the sound makes it all come together in what is a very sad story about a child getting caught in the middle of zombie crazyness.

It reminded me of the pilot of a series called The Walking Dead, where one of the main characters (the police officer) encountered a zombie child and (most likely) killed it (never shown).

shrox
02-21-2011, 03:21 PM
... not only that it falls into Uncanney Valley; it builds a house there as well...

Great quote!

evolross
02-21-2011, 08:11 PM
It's a turn-off for me. It's too dialed into the emotion of death, loss, and sadness... That's not fun to me. The girl falling reminded me of 9/11... Titles like GTA have a totally different vibe. IMHO of course.

I wonder what Andrew from Pilgway would think of 3D Coat was used on this!? 8~

OnlineRender
02-22-2011, 12:43 AM
I wonder what Andrew from Pilgway would think of 3D Coat was used on this!? 8~

probably wont even give a damn , he just sold another seat .
tbh I don't think Axis have any/many Lightwave Seats other than sub contractors .
they do however use C4D messiah and Maya and others .

I think you are all over looking the depth of the animation ,fairlplay some people disagree /feel using a child as the main story teller a little disturbing .

I think the animation is stunning ! good story ,excellent sound track , well animated and there is Zombies what else do you want , Dawn of the Dead :)

JeffrySG
02-22-2011, 09:00 AM
That said, I think it falls terribly into Uncanney Valley (which actually fits the title: Dead Island).. jokes aside... not only that it falls into Uncanney Valley; it builds a house there as well. Not all shots do this, but the majority of them do.

Totally :agree:

It was all in the faces for me... even the humans seemed a little to 'zombieish' for me. I'd rather much less realistic than being like this - for the human/non-infected.

Hopper
02-23-2011, 03:21 PM
Well now... I wasn't too terribly interested in the game after seeing the trailer, but now... well.. it's a whole different story...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ5c9BzohM4&feature=topvideos

probiner
02-23-2011, 03:49 PM
BAHAHAHAHAHA nice find Hopper. Crying tears here... "At least that one is hot".. ahaha

Dexter2999
02-23-2011, 04:02 PM
Well now... I wasn't too terribly interested in the game after seeing the trailer, but now... well.. it's a whole different story...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ5c9BzohM4&feature=topvideos

You had me at "Dancing...man on fire"

Titus
02-23-2011, 07:16 PM
If there are zombies in it... I'm in!

probiner
02-23-2011, 07:32 PM
Can you guys put into words what so cool about zombies?...

Is it just the fact you can watch people being slaughtered without guilt?

I really don't get it... they are slow... ugly... and... sad... and they like to spread it... Sounds like like a poor guy in the last stage of some nasty STD, but that he still goes after girls for sex...

Hopper
02-23-2011, 10:25 PM
Can you guys put into words what so cool about zombies?...
There are no words... They're God's little meat shields. If you take out their teeth and keep them away from sharp objects, they make awesome pets and party favors.

TripD
02-24-2011, 11:31 AM
There are no words... They're God's little meat shields. If you take out their teeth and keep them away from sharp objects, they make awesome pets and party favors.

Heh... when I was a kid, we used to play pin the arm on the Zombie. Good times! :thumbsup:

Hominid 3D
02-24-2011, 12:13 PM
It's a turn-off for me. It's too dialed into the emotion of death, loss, and sadness... That's not fun to me. The girl falling reminded me of 9/11... Titles like GTA have a totally different vibe. IMHO of course.

Good one. I´m actually surprised how that trailer is so well received on the net. 15 years ago it would have caused a very negative reaction.

It´s just sad and horrible, but not particularly well done if you look at the linear edit.

And as much as I like genre movies and horror action, I still think that producers/film makers etc should restrain themselves when it comes to depicting violence towards children, or putting them in those situations in the first place.

Especially in genre content, in which aforementioned violence usually is just a vehicle to carry the theme and nothing else.

And I say "restrain themselves" bc I don´t believe in censorship...for now.

As I see the current trend we´ll get trailers and scenes with children being raped and hacked into pieces on camera.

Troubling.

Lamont
02-25-2011, 05:13 AM
Can you guys put into words what so cool about zombies?When you watch a decent zombie movie, it's really not too much about the zombies other than people trying to survive. The unthinkable happens, people deal. Or some people don't deal. Books are great as they go more into detail of what's going on with the characters. Although not a zombie book/movie, The Road had the same feeling. Man was dying, and had to survive as long as he can to get his son to a safe place. Along the way seeing things that no kid should see (pretty much people eating people/babies/kids, hunted down like animals and such).

Is it just the fact you can watch people being slaughtered without guilt?Yes. Twisting the necks of mice isn't satisfying anymore.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the trailer, it works. It's meant to be sad and it is. A family is on vacation and all hell breaks loose. It won't make me go out and buy the game based on that, but it did get me to notice it.

I can only hope the game is played more like a survival game, than slaughter as many zombies from point A to B as you can. I am sure it won't release here, so gotta order it :P.

As I see the current trend we´ll get trailers and scenes with children being raped and hacked into pieces on camera.What? We already got movies like that.

Ernest
02-27-2011, 02:55 PM
Good one. I´m actually surprised how that trailer is so well received on the net. 15 years ago it would have caused a very negative reaction.

And as much as I like genre movies and horror action, I still think that producers/film makers etc should restrain themselves when it comes to depicting violence towards children, or putting them in those situations in the first place.That's not how it would have been received years ago. That's how it would be received today and next week too. THAT is why it is so well received on the net.

Outside of the net, even outside of the gaming forums area of the net, almost everyone would agree with you. This will put off millions of potential customers. It will have devastating effects on sales on the "casual" crowd, which is a HUGE crowd that dwarfs gamers completely.

But they still did it!

That's why gamers like it. Because its a risk that doesn't make any sense for a company to take and they still took it. They did something that 90% of the planet considers to be off limits and completely wrong. They did the one thing that every other gaming company would have cut off from their trailer and their game. Nothing is untouchable for them, even children who are untouchable in almost every game, movie, and TV show.

If they dared to do that, there is hope that the game is not just another generic "I'm super marine and I'll blast off a million zombies by myself" shooter. There is a small hope that it will feel, even a little bit, like the unspeakable horror of being a survivor in a zombie-infested world... even though that also does not make any financial sense.

Formulas are followed because they work. Formulas make money and keep companies alive. That's why all companies stick to the formulas. When one of them doesn't, the gaming community will throw itself at their feet with gratefulness.

PS: The appeal of zombies is that there is no hope for mercy, no hope of reasoning with them, no hope that they will consider us useful; they have no fear or self-preservation considerations either immediate or long term, no hope that they'll die (unless it's the revised 28-Days "infected" type of zombie). If they bite you, there's no appeal, power or glamor, as some might feel if a vampire gets you. And there's too many of them...

Lamont
03-06-2011, 06:42 AM
Not gonna get it:

Silly. Wacky. Goofy. Dead Island is a first-person hack-and-slash game set in the midst of a zombie outbreak in a tropical paradise. It's more Dead Rising than Resident Evil, with a focus on action over suspense.The tone of the trailer should have been followed for the game. I don't care how fun people say it is, they could have done something different. Kudos for the nice trailer though. If I want Dead Rising in a tropic setting, I'll wait for Capcom to make Dead Rising 3: Sun and Fun.

EDIT: I guess what I wrote above is what many people are feeling. Been reading comments on various sites.

OnlineRender
03-06-2011, 06:56 AM
It's ONLY A PUPPET !

Ernest
03-06-2011, 01:08 PM
Yes, if someone wanted to better understand why the trailer was so appealing to gamers, they just need to check out the extreme rage with which the news that it's going to be just another "zombie slasher" was received.

I think we all suspected it. But when you're trapped in the dark, every ray of light fills you with hope, even though, deep inside, you suspect that it's only going to be yet another glow worm.

Hominid 3D
03-08-2011, 12:55 AM
What? We already got movies like that.

Oh ok, i just read about that one on AICN. I wasn´t aware that things have gotten so far already.

So we´re there already.

Sad.

Lamont
03-08-2011, 05:48 AM
Oh ok, i just read about that one on AICN. I wasn´t aware that things have gotten so far already.

So we´re there already.

Sad.Been there since the 70's. Only difference is the effects have gotten better.

Hominid 3D
03-08-2011, 06:30 AM
Been there since the 70's. Only difference is the effects have gotten better.

Really?

I know a thing or two about genre and exploitation movies, and I don´t remember any movie despicting children being killed, abused or worse on camera!

In the 70s a comparatively soft movie (compared to today´s extremes) like "Last House on The Left", "Evil Dead" or "I spit on your grave" generated public outcries.

Now compare that to current exploitation movies like Saw, Hostel or Serbian Movie and tell me that´s even on the same scale.

Naturally we live in different times, and stuff that in the 70s never even entered distribution now gets worldwide attention without a dime spent on marketing.

I just feel like we´re about to break down a new frontier of what´s acceptable to show.