PDA

View Full Version : The Adobe US-UK Price Thing ...

JBT27
02-20-2011, 07:56 AM
OK ... it's a rant, and we've been there before ... but no-one does anything, or particularly kicks off over it.

So I was just looking at jumping from AE CS4 to CS5 - we have a small 4K project, and I want the 64bit support.

To upgrade in USD it's $299, but to upgrade in UK Sterling, it's £287.98 ... that's $467.91 at the current rate.

This is download. Wherever you are, you download it from servers, well, wherever they are, it's the same for everyone on the planet. It cannot be customs, or packaging or shipping or anything else. In fairness I included the UK VAT rate, but even without that, the equivalent dollar rate comes in at $386.70.

Why? If the upgrade in US currency is $299, why is it we don't all get charged that?

I've only noticed Adobe doing this. Other companies just state a price for a product and that's what you pay, regardless of where you are, if it's a download.

But what's the point? People just shrug, do nothing, say nothing ... so we make money from using it ... hardly excuses this practice.

Julian.

Red_Oddity
02-20-2011, 08:04 AM
I think it's a EU/UK thing, as in the Netherlands we pay 355 euros (485 USD) for the AE4 to AE5 upgrade.

Same goes for Autodesk.

Been ranting for this for years, nobody listens, not until the EU parliament themselves start using Adobe or Autodesk software, maybe then they'll start looking into it.

Red_Oddity
02-20-2011, 08:07 AM
Also, it would be nice when Adobe would give the ability for floating licenses (everyone seems to get FlexLM to work, but oh no, not Adobe, they have to reinvent the wheel again, same with their ****** custom build installed.)

JBT27
02-20-2011, 08:21 AM
OK - I guess it could well be an EU thing. I wondered about AD well, but as I don't own an AD anything, I wasn't sure.

I honestly don't know where to flag this up or who to ... letter to a member of parliament, or perhaps the local member for the EU parliament?

In the great scheme of things, I wonder how big a market this is and at what point someone would care enough to get the bureaucracy going to stamp on it?

It's depressing, especially if I want to buy into one of the Adobe suites ...

Julian.

serge
02-20-2011, 08:51 AM
Some information from 2007 (I guess it's still the same reason):

“The costs of doing business in European markets are significantly higher per unit of revenue than in the US… Pricing is higher in Europe on many goods, not just software. Adobe sets/evaluates pricing with each release, and has reduced up the delta [price differential] when possible.” (link (http://thenextweb.com/eu/2010/04/12/fury-adobe-creative-suite-5-international-pricing/))

It's depressing, especially if I want to buy into one of the Adobe suites ...

Just a note in case you didn't know: you can't upgrade single apps from suites, only suite to suite upgrades.

DrStrik9
02-20-2011, 09:18 AM
<snip>
Been ranting for this for years, nobody listens, not until the EU parliament themselves start using Adobe or Autodesk software, maybe then they'll start looking into it.

LOL. They're politicians, aren't they? :devil: The difference is undoubtedly going into their pockets, so don't expect them to change it, even if they started using the software. :D

JBT27
02-20-2011, 09:34 AM
Some information from 2007 (I guess it's still the same reason):

“The costs of doing business in European markets are significantly higher per unit of revenue than in the US… Pricing is higher in Europe on many goods, not just software. Adobe sets/evaluates pricing with each release, and has reduced up the delta [price differential] when possible.” (link (http://thenextweb.com/eu/2010/04/12/fury-adobe-creative-suite-5-international-pricing/))

Just a note in case you didn't know: you can't upgrade single apps from suites, only suite to suite upgrades.

Thanks - but I did know about the upgrade thing from singles and suites, etc.

The pricing thing ... well, bull really ... 'Pricing is higher in Europe on many goods ...' Yeah, but the goods here are software upgrades, downloaded from the same source no matter where the buyer is in the world. The 2007 explanation is so flawed it's a joke ... emperor's new clothes anyone?

Julian.

Matt
02-20-2011, 10:03 AM
Trading standards should look into this, maybe that's what UK peeps should do.

OnlineRender
02-20-2011, 11:59 AM
Trading standards should look into this, maybe that's what UK peeps should do.

new laws have been implemented "last week " in which it's like a consumer watchdog for internet websites "A UK governing body " . but trading standards would be the place to go first .

JBT27
02-20-2011, 12:22 PM
Trading Standards makes sense as the first port of call. I'll see what they say.

Julian.

warmiak
02-20-2011, 01:50 PM
new laws have been implemented "last week " in which it's like a consumer watchdog for internet websites "A UK governing body " . but trading standards would be the place to go first .

Don't they ultimately have the right to simply state " this is how much our stuff is going to cost over there and if you don't like it ... well don't buy it " ?

JBT27
02-20-2011, 02:28 PM
Well, I suppose any supplier has a right to do that. They make it, they set the price ... got no problem with that.

However, the price is, in this specific case, $299. Take it or leave it. Fine - I'll take it please ... but oh wait, no, I'm in England and apparently being penalised for being so.

Here's the point: the place of supply is the same (I assume), the product is the same, and with download, they cannot seriously claim packaging or shipping or staffing costs. Local taxes are a different matter. It's already been mentioned that AD behave similarly, but I cite all the other, smaller developers who do not do this ... including NT, Luxology, various plugin developers.

You develop a tool, set a price, make it available from whatever servers, and market and sell. That's it. Back in the days of boxed products and shipping and all that, well fine, prices rose - we all get that. But this is download, same product, same servers, lower costs for global business.

So what's actually going on with this?

That's the real point.

Julian.

Dodgy
02-20-2011, 03:39 PM
I ranted about it, then switched to PhotoPlus from Serif. Only 71.48 quid and it has virtually all the features of PS I use.

Lamont
02-21-2011, 05:40 AM
It's $565 to upgrade here. Just took a look at that PhotoPlus software...

But since I still have a PP account in America, I can still get the US price if I wanted.

crashnburn
02-21-2011, 06:04 AM
Don't they ultimately have the right to simply state " this is how much our stuff is going to cost over there and if you don't like it ... well don't buy it " ?

Yes they do, but I'm very sure that Adobe want world wide sales, not just to US customers. Therefore they have a responsibilty to not rip us off. The mistake being made is people outside the US paying these highly elevated prices. If I'm right in thinking, the prices Newtek charge outside the US don't suffer from this extreme elevation in price.:beerchug:

We don't call ourselves rip-off Britain for nothing. So hey, why stop the trend.:thumbsup:

Surrealist.
02-21-2011, 06:28 AM
I wonder if there is some way to use paypal or some other service where you can convert your sterling to USD and then buy it.

Or any other way to simply for example go down to your bank, ask to by 299 in USD, maybe even in a travelers check, I don't know, and send it in the mail with an order.

Just some thoughts.

Red_Oddity
02-21-2011, 06:33 AM
One thing Adobe allows, or used to allow, not sure, is you can buy Adobe software in the US, and use it in the EU/UK, it's a bit of a hassle to get it activated, and you will have no support, but i can make a huge difference in the pocket.

Lamont
02-21-2011, 06:40 AM
When I upgraded my video suite, I just changed my store to US. They charged me sales tax based on the address in my account(old US address), not the address used in my PayPal(Japan).

So... I haven't tried CC yet. But if PP is in your country and your Adobe account has a US address...

cresshead
02-21-2011, 07:02 AM
just trying the free version, looks pretty darn cool so far and beats photoshop elements on some stuff like having layer folders.

http://www.serif.com/free-photo-editing-software/phpse.asp

BigHache
02-21-2011, 07:26 AM
I'm going to give PhotoPlus a go. My Creative Suite is on my Mac but I need some solution for my Windows box. Supporting two suites is out of the question at the moment. Thanks for the link!

JBT27
02-21-2011, 07:37 AM
Yes they do, but I'm very sure that Adobe want world wide sales, not just to US customers. Therefore they have a responsibilty to not rip us off. The mistake being made is people outside the US paying these highly elevated prices. If I'm right in thinking, the prices Newtek charge outside the US don't suffer from this extreme elevation in price.:beerchug:

We don't call ourselves rip-off Britain for nothing. So hey, why stop the trend.:thumbsup:

Workarounds and PayPal and US addresses is all well and good if you can, but the problem remains.

There are alot of companies that set a single worldwide price for their products - no doubt, no hassle - that's what you pay no matter where you are. So it begs the question of what Adobe and apparently AD are doing. It seems like they're unwilling to accept a global market and embrace that, applying old rules to new ways and ripping people off until someone clamps down on them.

Julian.

Dodgy
02-21-2011, 07:44 AM
Arghhh... Now I should give you some of the problems I've found with it, before you hang me :P

The biggest thing I found is no hotkeys for brush adjustments, no [] for size and no 1-9 for flow. The hotkey editor apart from that is a lot like LW, you can assign menu items to multiple hotkeys, which is handy.

There's some bugs in the smear/blur brushes which don't work well with transparency, but I reported it a few days ago and a dev is now looking at it, so hopefully a fix should come soon.

Other than that, it's the closest I've come to a $100 photoshop. Gimp is still very far off, and everything else is lacking a lot of features or works in a very different way.

warmiak
02-21-2011, 08:22 AM
It seems like they're unwilling to accept a global market and embrace that, applying old rules to new ways and ripping people off until someone clamps down on them.

Julian.

Frankly, it is up to you ... ultimately, their products are worth only as much as you are willing to pay for them so if enough people switch to something else they will get the message.

OnlineRender
02-21-2011, 01:11 PM
remember Gimpis another great tool