PDA

View Full Version : Water. Animated calm lake surface - sugestions ?

fazi69
02-19-2011, 11:37 AM
Hi. Many years ago I will use NatureFX but for my current project I just can`t. Lake in my project have no need for 3d waves, flat surface is good enough. Right now I have just added bumpmap (crumple) but it is static and I don`t see any way to animate it other than by added reference object. Ripple type bump after few tests is no good eighter. Nodes are pretty much mystery to me so I did`nt even look there. Plugins ? Since Flay.com is down I feel hopeless in this department. So if You have some nice patent tell me.

In signature there is a link where You can see my scene with still static lake.

kopperdrake
02-19-2011, 01:16 PM
Is there no XYZ Position option in the surface menu for crumple? I was pretty sure every procedural had a position, rotation and scale option at the bottom? If so, just alter the position in the Y axis over time.

fazi69
02-19-2011, 01:23 PM
Is there no XYZ Position option in the surface menu for crumple? I was pretty sure every procedural had a position, rotation and scale option at the bottom? If so, just alter the position in the Y axis over time.

There is but it will only move the same static and unchanged over time bump structure. I need something which moprhs in time like real waves.
I tried animation of of "texture value" thru nodes by oscilating this parameter in time but with unsatisfying results.

SteveH
02-19-2011, 01:49 PM
If you animate your bump texture in the Y direction - and if your texture is large enough - say 50 meters - then for sure the wave bumps will change over time. Often times for a lake (not moving in on edirection like a river) I'll have atleast two textures both moving in the Y - but in oposite directions and have the layers added in blending mode. It works pretty well - give it a try.

kopperdrake
02-19-2011, 02:06 PM
Aye - I've used the same Y technique and it's worked out ok. I'm sure it's crumple I used as well. I'm not in front of LW so can't confirm.

fazi69
02-19-2011, 02:14 PM
Aye - I've used the same Y technique and it's worked out ok. I'm sure it's crumple I used as well. I'm not in front of LW so can't confirm.

Now I get it ! You mean if I move Y axis (up and down) I will get unforseen effect ... hmmm... to the lab then.

kopperdrake
02-19-2011, 03:40 PM
Yep :) Hit the 'E' for envelope button next to the Y axis value and animate the Y value over the number of frames of your animation. I can be pretty convincing :)

archijam
02-20-2011, 03:42 AM
A few good threads on this.

The best I have seen combine crumple with another texture ..

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83308

Find a photo reference and use that. I find that you can also use a map to make the effect less strong by the shore, or uneven as though wind is blowing across the surface ..

prometheus
02-20-2011, 11:07 AM
Rman collection from dpont, there´s both standard layers plugin and node rman collection plugin.
Check the windy wave, or wavy water, and/or even raindrops if needed.
The download link is at the very top to the left, a little hidden unfortunatly.

http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/Textures.htm

You also have the Ogo Waves plugin, check erikals video at this thread
and the dowload to the plugin is there too.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108118

Michael

fazi69
02-20-2011, 11:24 AM
Rman collection from dpont...

You also have the Ogo Waves plugin.....

Michael

Ogo looks too flat but Rman WindyWaves looks worth checking.

Thanks everybody for help. Problem is solved.

erikals
02-20-2011, 11:43 AM
HOT ocean plugin?

JBT27
02-20-2011, 11:57 AM
Try the Y channel animation first, with two or three layers - the easiest and highly effective.

Julian.