PDA

View Full Version : Precise move

lreyes
02-18-2011, 10:51 PM
Is there a way I can put an opject in layout precisely where I want it?..I have a lot of objects in layout and the move up and down etc is very touchy?

nickdigital
02-18-2011, 10:53 PM
Have you tried changing your grid size? They should be the "[ ]" keys. That'll affect how sensitive your mouse movements are.

UltraViolet
02-19-2011, 01:10 AM
That's kind of odd behavior, Nick, in all the other software I have, grid is used for position/size reference and snapping, I would expect that movement sensitivity is function of distance from the object selected :)

jeric_synergy
02-19-2011, 01:35 AM
That's kind of odd behavior, Nick, in all the other software I have, grid is used for position/size reference and snapping, I would expect that movement sensitivity is function of distance from the object selected :)
And you'd be wrong. Mouse/tool sensitivity is scaled by the size of the grid in LW.

For precise movement, users can use the numeric panel, for those tools that do NOT use the "Apply" button methodolgy, the difference moved is updated as you change the values (unlike the not-interactive tools that use "Apply").

For movement and rotation, you can use the ROVE TOOL-- changes made in the Numeric Panel are updated immediately.

UltraViolet
02-19-2011, 10:43 AM
And you'd be wrong. Mouse/tool sensitivity is scaled by the size of the grid in LW.

I'm aware of that, my point was that I simply do not like it ...

The fact remains, in all other software I use (Carrara, Silo, Vue), grid is for reference and snapping, nothing more.

For precise movement, users can use the numeric panel ...

Lol, well, that is not a solution, again, all other software I use have numeric panels, but precision of gizmo/manipulator (or whatever you want to call it) movement is not function of the grid, and it feels like much more natural approach than the one which is in LW :)

Exception
02-19-2011, 10:47 AM
Lol, well, that is not a solution, again, all other software I use have numeric panels, but precision of gizmo/manipulator (or whatever you want to call it) movement is not function of the grid, and it feels like much more natural approach than the one which is in LW :)

Right. So, going into an option panel somewhere to change the near and far clipping distances, grid precision and movement rate is much more convenient than just using the '[' and ']' keys to solve all those problems at once?
It's one of those things that LW does exactly right, it takes a bit of getting used to, but in the end it saves a lot of time.

UltraViolet
02-19-2011, 10:57 AM
Exception, are U sure that we are talking about the same thing ?

This process is fully AUTOMATIC in Silo (for example), no clicking or any adjustment is required (I hardly ever use numeric panel because of this) :)

Exception
02-19-2011, 11:11 AM
Exception, are U sure that we are talking about the same thing ?

This process is fully AUTOMATIC in Silo (for example), no clicking or any adjustment is required (I hardly ever use numeric panel because of this) :)

There are always limits to camera clipping and there are always grid settings, no mater what program you use.

Silo is a modeler. You should compare it to Lw modeler, not to layout.

UltraViolet
02-19-2011, 11:37 AM
Silo is a modeler.

But of course it is, good point :thumbsup:

gerry_g
02-21-2011, 07:12 AM
Personally in Layout I tend to default to a tri view (Camera, Top, Back) and do all my adjustments in the top & back views (or any of the orthogonal view) because here scale of movement is linked to zoom factor, so if I'm zoomed way in it's very fine and if I'm zoomed out visa versa, also hitting zero on the keypad maxes out any one view for a better look or drops it back in place if hit a second time.