PDA

View Full Version : Spline copy parallel / offset script?

omeone
09-30-2003, 03:37 PM
Before I start tearing my hair out trying to script a spline offset tool, anyone got a script to do this that they could share?

please help... I dont want to look like a smilie ;)

for 2d splines only

tia

Dodgy
09-30-2003, 05:16 PM
Umm, can you explain a bit more? Can't you just use the Array tools? Or copy and 'Paste tool' (hidden in the menus somewhere)

omeone
10-01-2003, 01:35 AM
Yeah, copy parallel and offset are CAD terms (Microstation and AutoCAD) an offset spline would look like the picture below.

I do this manually in LW an awful lot, hence the need...

tburbage
10-04-2003, 02:00 PM
The built-in Clone options can't quite do this because it is requires a combination of tranlate + scale but with the curves held to parallel distance along all points.

I haven't been able to come up with a plugin which really does this, but a question -- are you using one of those cad tools in conjunction with LW? For example, I have Rhinoceros 3D, which has a good curve offset function, and I was able to export the curves to Illustrator/.ai format, then import into LW.

I could suggest other "workaround" approaches but you've probably already made the rounds of them on your own -- and I would wonder whether the trouble it would take to arrive at the perfect final curves might be more than just using a non-curve-based approach to producing the end-result geometry in the first place...

omeone
10-06-2003, 01:57 AM
/Yeah, I'm using Microstation for laying-out purposes a lot, but it's impossible to foresee all the requirements, (its for civil and landscaping viz), it's no fun switching back and forward between the two during modelling, I really need to streamline the workflow so that I have only one CAD session per per project.

I think it would take a fully fledged LW programmer to do this properly, but I don't need true mathematical and / or 3D spline offsets.
As you say I'm using workarounds, which are slow, tedious and repetitive. (Though if not for Hurley's Guide tool and Faulknermano's Freeze Spline it would be much worse.)

I've had a look into LScript and I'm pretty sure it (and I) could do it, but it's gonna take me a long time...