PDA

View Full Version : attn- Aurora; Cryptonomicon

warrenwc
02-18-2011, 04:56 PM
I was going to PM this to Aurora, but I thought many others would be interested.
If you love math & don't mind some sex & violence, you MUST read Neal Stephenson's book titled Cryptonomicon.
http://www.harpercollins.com/books/Cryptonomicon-Neal-Stephenson/?isbn=9780060512804
I haven't had such fun with a book since Daemon & Freedom TM.
It's essentially a novel about code breaking & cryptography, but covers just about everything & is written for geeks of the math persuasion.
I'm listening to the Audible audio version, but I'm going to have to buy the book too. It has honestly made me LOL many times.
You'll thank me.

lertola2
02-18-2011, 06:12 PM
I agree. I really liked this book. I have read all of Neil Stephenson books. My favorite is The Diamond Age.

wrench
02-20-2011, 09:15 AM
I think my favourite is probably still Snow Crash, but Cryptonomicon is his best "serious" book I think. I love the Inner and Outer Qwghlm stuff and as a history of an alternate World War II mixing in real characters it's peerless.

B

VirtualFM
02-21-2011, 06:51 PM
Read all of those as well. One of my favorite authors! The books are just full of clever characters and situations... unfortunately, all the endings sucked until now! Great story teller and situation maker, awful novel-finisher (whatever you call it!).

I love the concept of "The Primer" in Diamond Age but Cryptonomicon is still my favourite. I've been reading "Quicksilver" now for years because of lack of time. I'm loving it, but at this speed I will only finish it when I have 60! There's two more volumes, as it is part of "The Baroque Cycle", where he mixes Cryptonomicon character's ancestors with real historical figures like Newton, and fictional characters, like D'Artagnan. He also wrote "Anathem", which I bought... and may finish reading it when I reach 80! :-P