PDA

View Full Version : The old, much missed, flay.com

stiff paper
02-18-2011, 03:10 PM
For anybody at all that's interested, or thinks they need it just one more time, as of right this minute (Feb 18 2011, 2:08 PM California time) you can browse the old version of Flay by doing this:

Google.
Search for, exactly:- flay.com vertibevel
("vertibevel" is just the name of any plug in...)
You should now get a result that says something like: "Flay.Com: Link Detailed Result".
Click on the GOOGLE CACHED version of the result...

Enjoy.

I'm sure it won't be there for very long.

borkus
02-18-2011, 11:32 PM
"That licks balls...", to quote Jay and Silent Bob... I had just migrated to a new laptop and was thinking I should head to Flay and grab some of my favorites. Hope I saved all the ones I had to have on my desktop. Thinking I should have been more diligent though...

rkpdesign
02-18-2011, 11:59 PM
I am new to LightWave but I have found many plugins that are discussed on these forums at:

http://www.lwplugindb.com/

tyrot
02-21-2011, 03:59 PM
we call that place ..... the last castle... :)

Dexter2999
02-21-2011, 04:23 PM
Noticed that Newtek still has Flay listed on the links page.

C'mon people. I'd cut you more slack if you weren't paid to do this stuff.

ncr100
02-22-2011, 12:44 PM
Alternatively, google for site:flay.com and click the Cached links.

e.g. http://www.google.com/search?q=site:flay.com

stiff paper
02-22-2011, 12:59 PM
No, no... really, you don't need "links", you just need one link.

Once you're on a flay.com page that's inside Google's cache, you can browse the WHOLE Flay site just exactly as if it was still online, except it's all in Google's cache. Everything still functions. You can do a search for plugins on the plugins page, everything...

But as I say, it's going to go away soon. So if there are any lscripts that anybody wants that were only being hosted on Flay (and there are definitely quite a few) then get them now, while it's still there...

art
02-22-2011, 01:35 PM
Ever since the lwplugindb.com went online I always preferred its search capabilities and the fact that you can simply browse all plugins if you don't look for anything in particular. But flay's number of plugins referenced is probably unmatched at this moment.

I think flay.com should do the community a favor and if they do not want do release full DB with comments, descriptions and what not, they should at least release a list of all authors' websites referenced on plugin pages. Or maybe simply all plugin URLs from those pages. The effort should be minimal and this should not require any permissions to publish (I hope).
This info could be used by other plugin websites (maybe with the help of LW community) to rebuild/update their databases.

stiff paper
02-22-2011, 02:00 PM
...you can simply browse all plugins if you don't look for anything in particular.
Ah, then I guess you never typed "*" into Flay's search and had it list all 1616 plugins...

clintonman
02-22-2011, 02:20 PM
You can also see some flay front pages on the internet wayback machine.
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://flay.com
You can't search for anything but hey it's better than nothing and like someone said before there's the lwplugindb site.

Dexter2999
02-22-2011, 02:20 PM
Wish someone with the capacity would mirror the cache? Be it, Newtek, SpinQuad, whoever.

art
02-22-2011, 02:22 PM
Ah, then I guess you never typed "*" into Flay's search and had it list all 1616 plugins...

hmm, i guess I never tried that :D

EDIT: well, while the cache is still working, I can probably still get the URLs

jeric_synergy
02-22-2011, 02:40 PM
Remember, tmk "Flay" is just one guy's hobby, and he's moved on. (IIRC, he's said the db is not in any convenient form to xfer to something else.)

You might just as well get twenty people from the forum to go thru the cached and transfer them all.

A better expediture of effort might be if we all try to contribute more effort to TAGGING those items now on lwplugindb (man that's a chore to type), which are more likely to be current than flay's offerings anyway.

I've made it a habit when I consult lwpidb to tag three plugins every time. Hopefully if that becomes a widespread civic habit, lwpidb will become more and more useful and we can stop pining for flay.

art
02-22-2011, 04:01 PM
Just in case, I downloaded (using a script) detail pages of Flay's 1616 plugins.

Lightwolf
02-22-2011, 04:15 PM
(IIRC, he's said the db is not in any convenient form to xfer to something else.)
Not quite:

Unfortunately, the plug-in database and web pages contain a good deal of content that was sent to me with permission to publish. I canít just hand it over for somebody else to do the same.
Itís a matter of respecting otherís intellectual property.
And I think that's perfectly fair.

Cheers,
Mike

art
02-22-2011, 04:40 PM
I hope republishing plugin URL's and names would be fine... but maybe this should be checked first as well

Lightwolf
02-22-2011, 04:50 PM
I hope republishing plugin URL's and names would be fine... but maybe this should be checked first as well
It should be, just not the hosted files.
And I guess the URLs would need to be checked as well (I think all the ones pointing to stuff I ever did are obsolete for example).

Cheers,
Mike

art
02-22-2011, 04:59 PM
It should be, just not the hosted files.
And I guess the URLs would need to be checked as well (I think all the ones pointing to stuff I ever did are obsolete for example).

Cheers,
Mike

i already found a few broken URLs

WimH
02-28-2011, 06:35 AM
works still fine thx!!!