PDA

View Full Version : Ethernet in your truck

vanderwielen
02-18-2011, 01:35 PM
We've just complete our dual 850 upgrade in our sprinter. In the process, much, if not most every, piece of equipment is web page administrated. Ethernet cable runs everywere from 850's to multiviewers, ki-pros, routers, switches and so on.

You've probably figured the solution is to fix those IPs so you can easily find them with your browsers. We discovered a Hawkings HW2RI router, that is both an access point and wireless internet extender. It allows us to connect to any wireless internet point we are within range of and at the same time serve as an access point and router for our laptops running livetext2. Essentially, all devices have internet access and internal IPs.

In fact, if we are not within range of an access point, we tell our hawkings router to use our Sprint overdrive unit. We can get real time stats and do research as long as we're within Sprint coverage. We can also stream, but the best upload is about 150K.

The hitch in the giddy up is that college and universities who provide internet access to us for streaming have routers that detect when another router is conected via it's WAN port. They prevent access. So, it is impossible to stream from the same 850 that is producing and is internally connected, via internal IPs, with the livetext2 laptops.

If newtek had thought of this, they could have installed a second ethernet port and solve the conflict. As it is, we stream from our second unit.

Of course, you could have your livetext laptops, via a switch, pick up their IPs via the university, but that would remove them from accessing the devices in the truck that are web based.

Zane Condren
02-18-2011, 01:42 PM
If you need a second ethernet port, pickup a cheap USB ethernet adapter.

kltv
02-18-2011, 01:43 PM
$30 solution?

http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=104991#

It is only 10/100, but if all you are doing is pushing the stream it would work...

Kris

PIZAZZ
02-19-2011, 09:58 PM
I was thinking of seeing if the Hawkins router could spoof a mac address. We do that with our linksys ones all the time. I haven't used hawkins but I like the feature set you described.

bbeanan
02-20-2011, 11:43 AM
yea a spoof mac address should do the trick and pretty much all routers can do that now... most will even let you type in the mac address you want.

Or you talk to the IT dept at the University and I am sure they can make it work since it for the University.