PDA

View Full Version : Wire shrink wrap

Tony3d
02-18-2011, 08:30 AM
How does one go about modeling shrink wrap over wire? How do you get it to conform to the contours of the wire, and plug? Any help would be great.

Tony3d
02-18-2011, 08:47 AM
I see there is a plugin called background conform. How does this work?

MaDDoX
02-18-2011, 08:49 AM
We could use some more details on what you're trying to accomplish. What do you want to shrink wrap, and what type of wire are you referring to?

cagey5
02-18-2011, 09:02 AM
Also try pointfit.

http://www.studiohiro.com/graphics/plugins/lwp_pointfit.html

jeric_synergy
02-18-2011, 09:14 AM
This sounds like a recipe for lots of geometry. Unless you are illustrating the actual process of shrink-wrapping, you might be better off going with a surfacing solution (the nodal dox have some real good wire surfaces) rather than a geometric solution.

Shrink wrap on wire= wire.

Otherwise: yeah, KO_Pointfit.

Tony3d
02-18-2011, 02:09 PM
I would need this insulation to conform to the wires, but it must dip in between the wires.

Tony3d
02-18-2011, 02:14 PM
Also try pointfit.

http://www.studiohiro.com/graphics/plugins/lwp_pointfit.html

Can't use pointfit, I'm on an intel Mac.

JeffrySG
02-18-2011, 03:20 PM
Tony, can you just draw a profile of the shrink wrapped plastic and then extrude it and give it some thickness as well? You could use this pictrix plugin too if you wanted as it has some nice options.

http://www.pictrix.jp/?s=Px_Bezier&submit=Search

jeric_synergy
02-18-2011, 05:10 PM
See, I would call that a "cable", not a "wire".

Does the cable extend for some long distance, with bends and stuff? Does the camera fly inside the cable, or do you only see the end? Is the shrink tubing transparent?

We need this sort of info to give you useful advice.

Tony3d
02-18-2011, 07:16 PM
See, I would call that a "cable", not a "wire".

Does the cable extend for some long distance, with bends and stuff? Does the camera fly inside the cable, or do you only see the end? Is the shrink tubing transparent?

We need this sort of info to give you useful advice.

Ok, the cable will be straight shot from one, with no animation just a rendering. Similar to the these two renderings I did. This one requires
shrink wrap. To bad I can't run pointfit. It looks like it's exactly what I need.

JeffrySG
02-18-2011, 09:51 PM
Is this what you're looking for? I just extruded a basic profile shape with the pictrix bezier plugin. Although if it's straight you could just extrude it too.

Tony3d
02-18-2011, 10:09 PM
Is this what you're looking for? I just extruded a basic profile shape with the pictrix bezier plugin. Although if it's straight you could just extrude it too.

That's close. At the points where the radiuses meet there needs to be small opposite radiuses. Like the image a links above.

Exception
02-19-2011, 04:35 AM
That's close. At the points where the radiuses meet there needs to be small opposite radiuses. Like the image a links above.

Just model the extrusion profile that way.

JeffrySG
02-19-2011, 07:19 AM
Just model the extrusion profile that way.

exactly. what exception said. :)

It was just an example that I did in about 5min to show you that it's a pretty easy method do accomplish what you were looking to do. :)

true fillet is good to round out corners like that or you could draw it with the inner corners rounded already. http://www.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/TrueFillet

Tony3d
02-19-2011, 07:59 AM
Thanks to everyone for all your help. I love my Mac, but it's times like this I wish I had windows on my machine. Pointfit would be the thing to have. Who wants to port it? Anyone? I need it in two days.

XswampyX
02-19-2011, 09:49 AM
Cloth Dynamics in Layout? Create your Heatshrink and reduce the poly size to 25%.....

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/ShrinkWrap.jpg

jeric_synergy
02-19-2011, 10:37 AM
Pointfit would be the thing to have. Who wants to port it? Anyone? I need it in two days.
Yeah, I think if you used Pointfit you'd find it ain't magic. I've never managed to get what I want out of it without a LOT of tweeking-- the examples look great but real-world needs are a lot more random than the test objects. (Also, I could be incompetent.)

I don't see what the problem is: JefferySG showed you a perfect way to model what you're looking for.

jeric_synergy
02-19-2011, 10:43 AM
Cloth Dynamics in Layout? Create your Heatshrink and reduce the poly size to 25%.....

Looks great, but I get a "SCAN ERROR" when I try to Calculate the ClothFX. :eek:

Very cool!

Tony3d
02-19-2011, 11:21 AM

This looks fantastic! It seems the mdd file is missing. I have no experience with cloth effect at all. Can someone gift me some pointers getting started with it? This is exactly what I'm looking for.

Tony3d
02-19-2011, 12:44 PM
I finally got it to run, but it seems unstable. When I hit start the first few times it went through the actions, but didn't do anything. I'm really not sure why.

kopperdrake
02-19-2011, 01:13 PM
Gonna say it again to emphasise the best method. Model it. Any auto-conform way of modelling it will need excessive geometry for where it *may* need to be pulled into a crevice. Modelling it with the correct profile will let you add the geometry where needed. Even if there's a wire twist over a given length, you can add that to your geometry easily once you've extruded a given length.

There is no easy auto-conform option here, and the basic modelling method is simple enough to not warrant even trying the auto route, unless only for the experience.

jeric_synergy
02-19-2011, 03:00 PM
I finally got it to run, but it seems unstable. When I hit start the first few times it went through the actions, but didn't do anything. I'm really not sure why.
Although the first time I hit "Calculate" I got a "SCAN ERROR" warning, the 2nd time worked fine.

While this is a GREAT example of using dynamics to model something, for your project it is overkill: just extrude the damn thing.

Even if there's a wire twist over a given length, you can add that to your geometry easily once you've extruded a given length.
ESPECIALLY since you're only seeing the exterior: the inside of the model doesn't even need to exist.

Tony3d
02-19-2011, 03:38 PM
I have never used cloth effects. Can someone explain to me how he sets this scene up? I really don't understand it, but I find it very interesting.

jeric_synergy
02-19-2011, 11:28 PM
Load the attached zip file and autopsy it. It's all there.

Tony3d
02-19-2011, 11:35 PM
When I try to set this up myself it does nothing. When I try to save the mdd file it saves nothing. What am I missing here?

Tony3d
02-20-2011, 01:52 PM
Nobody?

Dodgy
02-20-2011, 05:27 PM
What do you mean, it does nothing? I just loaded the scene, canceled the file requester looking for the .mdd file and pressed calculate then saved the mdd in the clothfx panel.

Everything worked as expected. Can we have a little more detail please?

Tony3d
02-20-2011, 08:07 PM
What do you mean, it does nothing? I just loaded the scene, canceled the file requester looking for the .mdd file and pressed calculate then saved the mdd in the clothfx panel.

Everything worked as expected. Can we have a little more detail please?

If your on a pc that my explain it. It's exactly what I said. The save does not save the mdd, and after calculating it does nothing. Can't be any clearer than that. I'm on a Mac. It's most likely buggy!

jeric_synergy
02-20-2011, 09:06 PM
Try again. First time didn't work for me either.

JeffrySG
02-20-2011, 09:10 PM
First time I hit the calculate button I did get a error but the calculations still occurred but the wrap didn't appear. I just hit the calculate button again and it worked fine. On a mac. 10.6.5 in 9.6 - didn't try it in 10.

Tony3d
02-20-2011, 09:35 PM
Try again. First time didn't work for me either.

It simply dosen't work.

jeric_synergy
02-20-2011, 11:14 PM
First time I hit the calculate button I did get a error but the calculations still occurred but the wrap didn't appear. I just hit the calculate button again and it worked fine.
Same here on a PC (WXP, LW10).

I got a dialog saying "Scan Error". Examined the shrink-tube object for anomalies , didn't find any, and on the 2nd try it worked.