View Full Version : New : 58 Sky photographic textures collection

02-18-2011, 04:08 AM

I've just thrown up a collection of 58 sky textures taken right here in West Auckland, New Zealand. My wife does a great job with a camera, and this was a good chance for her to apply her talents to something the CG community can use. :thumbsup:

58 images - clouds, horizon skys - and some pretty spectacular cloud formations loaded with thick cumulous or crazy swirled whispy patterns. Something kinda cool and funky. Most images are around 3072 or so in width, so they're a fairly good resolution. The EXIF data is still in them as well - so they can be used with the Real Lens camera if you feel you want to do a little compositing of those machines, city scapes or whatever against the cloudy sky... :)

There's a post up on Liberty3D about it HERE (http://www.liberty3d.com/2011/02/58-high-quality-skys-and-clouds/). I've also put two of the images (and possibly some others later) up on our forum as freebee's for people to play with... The links are in that same post above.



02-18-2011, 09:19 AM
I wanted to take a look at this. I tried signing up on the liberty3d forum but in never sends my activation email. I even tried the "resend activation email" link 3 times but nothing. Im using a gmail account and I double checked the spam folder too.

02-18-2011, 12:43 PM
Oops! Sorry about that...

I had a chat with the team and apparently there was an issue with one of the back-end settings on the forum - it should now be fixed, so give it another whirl... :thumbsup:

02-18-2011, 12:57 PM
Well the link to resend the activation email is now gone...

So I tried to re-register, but it wont let me use the username OR email I signed up with earlier.

So I tried the forgotten password link, which tells me my account isnt activated yet..

um... I'm not sure Id consider this "fixed"

02-18-2011, 12:59 PM
If I try to just log in I see:

The specified username is currently inactive. If you have problems activating your account, please contact a board administrator.

02-18-2011, 01:05 PM
Argh! :confused:

Let me go and pester the admin and see what the story is here. I do know that they did some maintanence on the back end of the system - so I'll check what's going on here...

Ok, I looked and your account should now be active. Thanks for mentioning this - seems that the reasons for it are because of the spam problems boards around the world are having right now. This forum's already seen an increase in Russian porn spam and so on, so the security on logins has been increased, though they've been working on updates today so say that the system should be fine-tuned tonight (that's in US/Canadian time zones, not NZ/Aus ones).

02-18-2011, 01:08 PM
thanks kevman :) finally in

02-18-2011, 01:27 PM
although I can log in I tried to use the forgotten password link to see if emails are sent, and I still get no email.

So... its possible that no one else can sign up right now because emails arent being sent

02-18-2011, 01:34 PM
and I just discovered there is no way for me to post or reply... hmmm

edit: nevermind thats only in the free stuff forum

02-18-2011, 01:40 PM
Are you trying to post into the FREE STUFF forum? No, you can't post in here - it was designed as a place to find and download freebee's, which is more like a repository. This means that its purely read only. You should be able to post to the other forums however.

I'm not sure about the emails, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was related to the anti-spam that's been going on. I'll check later tonight and ask.

edit : Doh, I see you already posted that... Ignore this one. I did add a note to the forum description however to note that its a Read Only forum for future visitors.

02-18-2011, 02:09 PM
btw - reCaptcha doesnt work - spammers have figured out a way around that, so don't enable in, GD is actually a bit better choice BUT...
The Q&A option actually stops quite a lot, as in 98% of the spambots - and the other 2% is manageable because they are human spammers which can be identified more easily.