PDA

View Full Version : A Noda A Week column

jeric_synergy
02-18-2011, 02:12 AM
I wish there were a weekly newsletter column that's Subject was:

Node of the Week
'Cuz I just now learned about the "Mixer" node, which allows you to place two different surfaces on the opposite sides of the same polygon.

Keeping up with all this stuff is killing me!

moussepipi2000
02-18-2011, 03:05 AM
some nodes tips in the newletter is very good idea. node are limitless in term of posibilities so we cant imagine all of this !

wrench
02-18-2011, 03:42 AM
I had actually written a bunch for the LightWave newsletter before I no longer edited it. That and plugin of the month. I'll have a look and see if I can find...

B

Matt
02-18-2011, 07:08 AM
Going through all the nodes this way could be good actually.

hrgiger
02-18-2011, 07:21 AM
And the node editor in Layout is just for surfacing. Wait until there's a node for everything in CORE.

JeffrySG
02-18-2011, 07:29 AM
And the node editor in Layout is just for surfacing. Wait until there's a node for everything in CORE.

Oy! We're going to need a node-a-day newsletter for all of that info!!

A node newsletter sounds like a great idea to me! :thumbsup:

I just did a free little video a week or two ago on setting up nodes for scaling if you wanted to see it: http://www.pixelandpoly.com/video013.html

We could also have a thread where people post node tips and info. But it would be good to have another thread for all comments and just leave the first thread for tips only so it doesn't go off topic and get cluttered!

jeric_synergy
02-18-2011, 09:23 AM
And the node editor in Layout is just for surfacing.
Dude, nodes in just native Lightwave are for Surfacing, Displacement, and Volumetric Lighting:

from the PDF:

The Node Editor currently exists in three different places
throughout the LightWave 3D working environment. Each
environmental instance of the Node Editor is identical in
operation and technique except for one key aspect - the
Destination node, sometimes also referred to as the Root node.
There is always only one destination node for any attribute
(volumetric lighting, vertex deformation, or shading and
texturing) that nodes are applied to. Here are the three
locations and an example of what each of the Destination
nodes look like.

Now add it DP_Kit for;

Nodal Motion,
Nodal Volume
Nodal Channel Filter
Nodal Image Filter
Nodal Pixel Filter.

That's eight right there.

jeric_synergy
02-18-2011, 09:26 AM
Oy! We're going to need a node-a-day newsletter for all of that info!!
Daily is too much to comprehend. But weekly, plus the follow-on effect of showing how to use the node in network and incidental info that would be revealed, would be about right.

Also, daily is too much work for whoever heads this up.

Going through all the nodes this way could be good actually.
::sigh::

I had actually written a bunch for the LightWave newsletter before I no longer edited it. That and plugin of the month. I'll have a look and see if I can find...
B
Bang, content already exists!

Hell, DP_Kit is enough material for a year of columns, easy.

JeffrySG
02-18-2011, 12:26 PM
Daily is too much to comprehend. But weekly, plus the follow-on effect of showing how to use the node in network and incidental info that would be revealed, would be about right.

Also, daily is too much work for whoever heads this up.

I didn't really mean to have a daily one. I was just joking. :) it's just that once core gets here we'll really have a ton of node info to learn!!

bazsa73
02-18-2011, 12:42 PM
yeah, I just connected a salmon node to a bread node through a scrapedbutter node and the whole graph was connected to my mouth node via chew-it-thoroughly node plus a auxiliary drink-a-sip-of-wine node

jeric_synergy
02-18-2011, 01:38 PM
JeffrySG, there's easily enough material for daily, it's just we'd never get any actual work done.

:D

jameswillmott
02-18-2011, 03:32 PM
I'd be happy to explain a node every two days or so. Just start posting requests for what ones you want explained. I could go through them all, but things like Add aren't going to be high priority for people. Gradient would probably take about a week to explain though, it's powerful as heck...

stiff paper
02-18-2011, 03:52 PM
yeah, I just connected a salmon node to a bread node through a scrapedbutter node and the whole graph was connected to my mouth node via chew-it-thoroughly node plus a auxiliary drink-a-sip-of-wine node

I just tried to replicate your node tree here, but I must be missing something because it gets stuck in an infinite loop every time it gets to the drink-a-sip-of-wine node...

Sigh. I guess I just don't understand nodes...

hrgiger
02-18-2011, 03:54 PM
Dude, nodes in just native Lightwave are for Surfacing, Displacement, and Volumetric Lighting:

I'm just saying wait until we have nodes for dynamics, the renderer, the modeling tools, bones, scripting, keyframes, I/O....oh and did I mention everything else too already? Just saying it should make the node editor in Layout look like a diagram on how to make an ice cube.

Lightwolf
02-18-2011, 04:18 PM
I really like the idea of a node a week. How about a collaborative blog?

Cheers,
Mike

archijam
02-18-2011, 04:27 PM
.. not to mention all the db+w nodes .. :thumbsup:

OnlineRender
02-18-2011, 04:28 PM

Cheers,
Mike

+1 do you know anywhere you can set up a group and have files uploads blogs forums video image upload ? :rock:

jeric_synergy
02-18-2011, 04:31 PM
I'm just saying wait .......
Three areas to cover WITHOUT DP_Kit. There's more than enough to get up to speed on NOW. :devil:

jeric_synergy
02-18-2011, 04:32 PM
Cheers,
Mike
I should have a blog up in about a week, once I get my head around the Wordpress software and all the server stuff.

Lightwolf
02-18-2011, 04:34 PM
I should have a blog up in about a week, once I get my head around the Wordpress software and all the server stuff.
I was going to offer as well. We still have space and plenty of traffic on our webserver, so I'd sponsor that as well as setting up and administering the blog (since we have a wp base site already that should be a breeze).

Just as a suggestion.

Cheers,
Mike

Lightwolf
02-18-2011, 04:36 PM
+1 do you know anywhere you can set up a group and have files uploads blogs forums video image upload ? :rock:
Videos on youtube, wordpress can embed the links automatically.

And you can allow multiple users to write to the same wp blog (and only allow some to actually publish articles).

An idea would be to have one third party and one node that comes with LW featured per week, multiple authors. And one could prepare the articles before that and just publish them later on a fixed weekly day.

Cheers,
Mike

archijam
02-18-2011, 04:40 PM
To keep productivity up, would be nice to alternate between LW and 3rd party nodes, or later down the track, their combination.

What I always found weird in docs (not only LW's), is that nodes are often talked about on their own, where as their true power (almost) only comes in their combination and complementary nature ...

JeffrySG
02-18-2011, 04:52 PM

lmao... I'm game!

hrgiger
02-18-2011, 04:53 PM
Three areas to cover WITHOUT DP_Kit. There's more than enough to get up to speed on NOW. :devil:

Of course, I'm not arguing against the idea. In fact, I think it really almost necessary as it would provide quite a good primer for using nodes in CORE.

COBRASoft
02-18-2011, 05:31 PM
Nice idea :). Would be another example of how great this community really is!

zarti
02-19-2011, 03:11 PM
after two days of heavy dark clouds accumulating and some freaking lightning here

... i hope to see any drop of rain .

:caffeine:

oc , i have an umbrella .

just in case ...

probiner
02-19-2011, 03:43 PM
So basicly.... along 'Speed Modeling Challenge', there would be 'Taking a Node for a Ride' Where someone would explain a node potential and ppl would have some fun with it that info and present the results? :O

If Core nodes for animation come close to XSI... :)

COBRASoft
02-19-2011, 07:12 PM
Probiner, I like that idea!

jeric_synergy
02-19-2011, 07:45 PM
Of course, I'm not arguing against the idea. In fact, I think it really almost necessary as it would provide quite a good primer for using nodes in CORE.
:devil: Pbbbbttt, screw CORE, plenty to do with LW.

geo_n
02-19-2011, 08:09 PM
Good idea. I've been collecting some node flow screencaps people posts in forums.
But if a database were there that would be better. Nodes are too flexible and remembering the many possible connection is near impossible. This is just lw nodes, there are other software nodes to know :D

jeric_synergy
02-19-2011, 09:49 PM
......... and remembering the many possible connection is near impossible.
WORD. :agree:

The arrangement of nodes is almost like components of an electrical circuit: any one component or even a chip can't do much, but in the proper arrangements blah blah blah...

jeric_synergy
02-19-2011, 09:51 PM
...... That and plugin of the month. I'll have a look and see if I can find...
B
Yes, that too! :agree:

jameswillmott
02-20-2011, 04:42 AM
WORD. :agree:

The arrangement of nodes is almost like components of an electrical circuit: any one component or even a chip can't do much, but in the proper arrangements blah blah blah...

You probably want to post something like 'here is a problem X ( be it deforms, surfacing or whatever ) how do you solve it with nodes' since nodes' power only really comes from their connections to other nodes...

probiner
02-20-2011, 05:08 AM
You probably want to post something like 'here is a problem X ( be it deforms, surfacing or whatever ) how do you solve it with nodes' since nodes' power only really comes from their connections to other nodes...

Spot Info node agrees with you :D

Cloak&Dagger
02-21-2011, 02:00 AM
I like this idea! only just venturing into the depths of nodes myself, it is frustrating to realise the potential only to be stuck by the lack of documentation or help (aside from here of course!).

Perhaps a node could be picked every week and then people can give exampes of where they have used it? I am sure that we are all have a couple of node setups that people would find useful and didnt think of using any given particular node in such a way...

VonBon
02-21-2011, 09:08 AM
Newtek should take each and place it in it's own thread and
then put them all under one master thread for nodes.

zarti
02-21-2011, 10:29 AM
{ over The boundaries of This Topic }

just posted 2 videos ( links ) here :

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117098

post #14

:caffeine:

jeric_synergy
02-21-2011, 07:33 PM
I am sure that we are all have a couple of node setups that people would find useful a...
LOL, you'd be wrong there. (I certainly don't.)

But there are a select few who can engineer useful and clever networks. Stay tuned.

jeric_synergy
03-28-2011, 05:10 PM
I finished my first "Node of the Week" article, and it only took me like 8x as many weeks as I predicted! :D You can read it here:

http://3dproj.com/2011/03/29/node-of-the-week-using-the-gradient-node-to-remap-numeric-values/

I'd like to thank James Willmot, from whose reply I unmercifully cribbed the article-- any errors are definitely mine, not James'. I'm sure I still don't quite understand what's going on in that Gradient node, but even so I think users can extract the method usefully.

Big thanks to Kelly "Kat" Myers for hosting the 3dproj blog. :thumbsup: :beerchug:

monovich
03-28-2011, 05:41 PM
I dig your pie chart article. thanks for sharing.

jeric_synergy
03-28-2011, 07:08 PM
I've updated it to give credit for the network to the user who originally crafted it, "3d4me" on Spinquad, 'wayyyy back in 2009.