PDA

View Full Version : Usage of edge weight and objects format conversion.

fazi69
02-17-2011, 05:34 PM
Hi. Im just curious if usage of advanced techniques such weights on point or edges in subdivided surface models can be converted to other than LWO formats? Right now Im frequent user of knife and bendsaw tool to achive wanted shape.

JeffrySG
02-17-2011, 10:28 PM
If you want to use subd weighting for models in other apps you can freeze the subd mesh at a very low level such as 1 or 2. Then reapply the subd to the frozen mesh. The weighting will be gone but the shape should still be the same albeit the mesh will be much denser. You could also then use subpatch instead of CC at that point. That's one of the issues of using subd weighting. If you can add geometry to get the desired shape it's probably a better way to go. Also alway do this on a COPY of your model in case you need to go back to the original subd shape, etc. :)

fazi69
02-18-2011, 04:49 AM
..... frozen mesh. The weighting will be gone but ......:)

Thx. So weighting is not transferable between formats. No problem then. I will stick to my old methods. I just trying to find few methods to make my meshes simpler and lower in polygon counter. Since as last few years I work stricly on models ( almost whole vehicle department on Dosch collection ) and having in mind that 90% of people using them are using many models in one scene for their visualizations, every polygon counts.

JeffrySG
02-18-2011, 07:32 AM
Yeah, I think the general rule is that weighting from app to app is not transferable - but there are exceptions. You've got some nice work on your blog! :)

MaDDoX
02-18-2011, 08:35 AM
Thx. So weighting is not transferable between formats.
That's not entirely true, depends on your target application. For instance, you can save your low with a weightmap defined from the edge weights (there's a script to copy from one to the other, not sure if it's built in), import the object in Modo and convert those weights to edge weighting using the new Pixar Sub-D method. From there on you can export it directly to Maya preserving (supposing you have 501) the edge weighting.

You can also now export with smoothing groups from the hard edges, there's a plugin for zBrush that'll recognize them and harden edges correspondingly, quite handy.

Like I said, it really depends on your intended target application and the tools you have at your disposal, although natively Lightwave doesn't have other options than its own format I'm afraid.

fazi69
02-18-2011, 08:48 AM
it really depends on your intended target application

In that case it is no good for me. I need to be able to make model convertable to any possible format. I make models for Dosch Design and they of cours must be able to make them in every popular format. I just initialy saw weights as somthing as popular as UV. I don`t have any other 3d application to check this myself so THX.