PDA

View Full Version : Residual Income

Nangleator
02-17-2011, 10:43 AM
I'm curious about selling some assets, and maybe generating some income. I imagine some of us here do this, so I'm curious about the different options. What are the good markets?

TurboSquid?
The DAZ community?
Unity assets?
Others?

The Unity engine seems attractive to me, because I wouldn't mind working on a whole collection of related items that I might then see in a game. A great asset package might also be a good resumé, or calling card, generating more work and income.

The Poser people are probably voracious content consumers, but I don't know if I've got the knowledge to build Poser clothing and props.

Are these communities so overfull with content that it would be hard to get noticed?

Thanks for any answers.

GandB
02-17-2011, 11:01 AM
Here's a decent site that I've participated in from time to time; it will help you with questions you have on this subject: http://www.3dstocktalk.com/

-Keith

Nangleator
02-17-2011, 11:06 AM
Dang. A whole forum specifically made to answer my questions!

Thank you so much!

I'll have to develop some more interesting questions...

CaptainMarlowe
02-17-2011, 11:18 AM
I'm part of a community in France that sells a bunch of assets for Poser (Daz, RDNA, Renderosity), and by looking at their comments, it seems to me that the poser market is fairly saturated.
So I chose to sell on Turbosquid and The3DStudio to sustain my main hobby expenses.
So far, I generated quite a poor income, but it seems that to expect getting a more consistant income, you have to build quite a huge collection, and mine is ATM very poor : around 8 priced products, mainly lopoly buildings designed for integration in game engines, such as unity packages, and, from time to time, high res highly detailed models, more to show what I can do and to please myself than to expect selling them...

calilifestyle
02-17-2011, 02:23 PM
Don't forget http://freelanceswitch.com/ they have section for web/audio/imagery/3d assets. Under Envato market.http://3docean.net/

dandeentremont
02-17-2011, 05:15 PM
I'm making some fairly decent cashmoneys by allowing ads on my youtube videos. Lately, since the transformers trailers have been out, it's been anywhere between $10 and $20 a day, though 20 is rare.

Also (as my signature is sure to tell you) I have stuff for sale up on Turboquid, though I find them to be stingy about the percentage of sales they pay you. If you just start out, you will get 40% (so $100 in sales will be $40 for you.) If you join their "squid guild," it will be 50% but you are only permitted to sell your models on their site. Also if you sell products for a certain amount of money, your rate will increase slightly, up to 60%. Currently I am getting 56% because I am "Emerald Level" and I also joined the squid guild.

Titus
02-17-2011, 06:28 PM
I've started selling assets via turbosquid as an experiment, they are very cheap and sell one or two each month. Really don't care too much about their cut, as long as they don't try to provide my personal info to the IRS.

At the end this is like a pyramid so few people make a lot of money, and the rest a little less.

EDIT: Just noticed I've been promoted to Gold seller. More money to pay for software in promotion or help LWers in problems.

Andyjaggy
02-18-2011, 01:12 PM
I sell on Turbosquid, although not seriously. I would say I average 50 bucks a month, maybe a little less. It's not much, but it pays for my software upgrades every year. :)