PDA

View Full Version : Vray & Mental Ray

cgisoul
02-17-2011, 10:34 AM
Let me start by saying, this is not a Vray VS Mr, but Vray AND MR thread.
I've been learning MR (Maya) for the last 3 months and its quality is pretty good, however, its settings are pretty complicated for this artist mind here, not impossible though. Click here but don't click there, uncheck here but leave that checked. VRay... know its existence for many years, but never tried and heard good things about it. Have anyone used Vray and could share his/her experience? How intuitive compared to mR?

Thank you

MrWyatt
02-17-2011, 10:41 AM
basicalli it isn't all that different. The possibilities for tweaking are as large as in mr, hence it is just as hard to learn. It handles glossy reflections and refractions better than mr on the other hand mr seems to handle sss a lot better and faster too. It really depends what you want to do. But in a nutshell, when it comes to complexity, then vray and mr aren't all that different.

cgisoul
02-17-2011, 10:53 PM
basicalli it isn't all that different. The possibilities for tweaking are as large as in mr, hence it is just as hard to learn. It handles glossy reflections and refractions better than mr on the other hand mr seems to handle sss a lot better and faster too. It really depends what you want to do. But in a nutshell, when it comes to complexity, then vray and mr aren't all that different.

I see. Thank you for letting me know. I guess I'm holding onto MR then. I was just very curious as a lot of people say good things about Vray.

cresshead
02-18-2011, 01:05 PM
to make a quick simple assesment

vray and mental ray are indeed quite similar BUT...the main difference is in the default settings and materials..vray with default settings gives you nicer results without trying very hard at all and there are a massive amount of high quality FREE materials available for Vray whereas you have to work at mr to make good materials yourself.

lastly...even though MR ships with maya and 3dsmax Vray knits into maya and max better than mental ray does...many things simply DO NOT WORK with mental ray in maya and 3dsmax.

Intuition
02-18-2011, 03:17 PM
Used both extensively in max, xsi/softimage, and maya.

Vray is the easier of the two to learn. Hands down... no other opinion applies.

That being said, mental ray has a bit more versatility in overall look then Vray does.

This can be seen two ways.

1. Since photoreal is what 90% of the clients want now days the Vray methodology of few shaders that do more things within a framework of physical based energy conservation, is the way to go every time. Its also faster overall in general rendering. Especially in cases where motion blur is concnerned.

2. Since Mental ray can do numerous looks besides energy conserving materials (not just because you need a toon shader) it is often looked at for more then just photoreal rendering. Great fx style shaders have been born out of mental ray. Mental ray does not have a physically accurate SSS shader per say ala vray (color saturation defines color bleed like in real life) but its SSS shader can be much faster and much more customizable then vray. There are many mental ray shaders that are true in this regards.

Still. Mental ray is not easy to learn as say Vray. yet forcing your self to learn how to use mental ray will give you a little bit more freedom in overall lookdev. yet, if its just some car renders or some interior/exterior renders that need to look photoreal then learning vray will be the way to go everytime.

the Mia arch material was mental ray's attempt to copy vray's basic material but even that material does not start off with a generally correct pysically correct IOR for reflection/refraction. Vray's default using blinn as its base can cover so many bases even if phong and ward are better then base blinn can still achieve similar feel.

In mental ray you have to know every one of these parameters (the sweet spots) to maximize your ability to get the photoreal shaders going. In vray its fairly hard to escape the sweet spot unless you don't know when or when not to use fresnel.

I learned mental ray while using XSi and was able to translate that stuff to maya, and I have to tell you, there are many things in the settings in maya which are not exposed as they are in XSi.

Vray on the other hand is exactly the same (bar some features here and there specific to the app) between the three apps.

Learn vray first for jobs and great lookdev. Learn linear workflow as well as this is the game vray taught/brought to the render market in 2005.

Mray and renderman have even copied vray methodology after the fact.

Then, once you are good with vray expand into Mental ray if needed.

Intuition
02-19-2011, 12:39 PM
To tell you the truth I haven't given the LW10 renderer an honest run.

I did run the VPR through a few tests and it did pretty well as not only an f-prime replacement but seemed to be setup for LWF from the get go.

I still need to open up LW10 and play with not only the vpr but check out its implementation of the linear color space.

When I tried it a few months back (in the beta) I couldn't find any controls to really use the LWF in the engine. I mean, I could use the old gamma image filter while changing any sRGB images to the proper gamma curve but I don't think this is how the new LWF in lw10 is supposed to work. I need to read up on it.

My friends at Eden FX said its much better integrated in lw and is no longer a hack of different plugs and settings. Though exr trader was brought up as putting the cherry on the cake.

Lightwolf
02-19-2011, 01:29 PM
Though exr trader was brought up as putting the cherry on the cake.
*grin*

Cheers,
Mike