PDA

View Full Version : 3DConnexion in Modeler

Philbert
02-17-2011, 03:26 AM
I just got my 3DConnexion SpacePilot today and I'm excited to try it in LW10, but I have to wait until later in next week when I can finally upgrade to 10. I was wondering though why the LW10 info says that it only works with Layout. I've seen it working just fine in Modeler as well. Was this just a last minute addition that's documented wrong?

wrench
02-17-2011, 03:43 AM
No, it works just fine in Modeler, it's just that you'll never use it (unless you have three hands or a passionate hatred of keyboard shortcuts).

B

Philbert
02-17-2011, 04:38 AM
I would have to try it and see. I might actually use it since I don't like the Alt+LMB method of rotating the viewport in Modeler. I use the buttons in the corner of the viewport.

wrench
02-17-2011, 05:05 AM
Ooh yuck! :D

B

Lewis
02-17-2011, 05:13 AM
AFAIK it's not finished addition since it doesn't have options for spacepilot like layout does so it's not fully adjustable. As for modeling with it I'm with Ben on this one - yuck :D.

Philbert
02-17-2011, 05:35 AM
Ooh yuck! :D

B

I'm not sure if you're yucking about the navigation icons. Doing it with Alt drives me batty, the object is constantly ending up upside down or sideways or something and it's a huge pain to get it back to the angle it's supposed to be. However the icons use "turntable" style rotation and I love it.

Lewis
02-17-2011, 05:46 AM
Doing it with Alt drives me batty, the object is constantly ending up upside down or sideways or something and it's a huge pain to get it back to the angle it's supposed to be

Not really, it's just that lot of people don't get it how it works since they expect different behavior in thir heads :). It's more like turning/pushing/dragging object (at selected position where cursor is) than Camera while rotating with widgets on right corner is like rotating camera so they are different way but i hate locking up in axis after 180 degrees which happens with those small widgets so Alt+LMB all the way for me and AFAIK you can+t do that in modeler with space-pilot which make sit useless for me (currently) in modeler. Although some people like you who don't use alt+LMB might find it OK (unless you are using many shortcuts 'coz then it'll be tiresome/crazy unless you have 3 hands as Ben mentioned :D..

Philbert
02-17-2011, 06:31 AM
I understand the way it works, it just always seems to be a lot of work to get it right side up after it gets facing the wrong way.

Lewis
02-17-2011, 06:55 AM
I understand the way it works, it just always seems to be a lot of work to get it right side up after it gets facing the wrong way.

It won't face "wrong" way if you push it with full understanding and know exactly where you want to push it even before you start ;). It's never in weird position for me nor i have more than 2-3 pushes to bring it in up position, it's just preference and user ;). Basically i didn't like it either 12-13 years ago until i fully understood it after 2 days of "forcing" myself to use it. Since then i would never ever go back to any other mode for MODELING (speaking strictly modeling not camera movement/animating).

Philbert
02-17-2011, 07:19 AM
more than 2-3 pushes to bring it in up position, .

Right, 2 or 3 pushes, for me it's never more than one. *shrug* user preference I guess.

Lewis
02-17-2011, 07:37 AM
Right, 2 or 3 pushes, for me it's never more than one. *shrug* user preference I guess.

Hehe you don't understand me then, can you show me how to thumble 360 degrees upside down (let's say building) with top rotate icon :)?

Short answer - You CAN'T :)

And let alone with one push, with ALT+LMB you can easily with 2-3 pushes or if you insist even with one if you have long enough mouse pad or very speedy mouse settings so that movement is very big :).
I agree about user preference but thumbing with those icons for modeling is way slower for modeling. only way where i find it Ok is big sized Boxy objects like architecture but for detail modeling/small objects or cars i would never use it :).

For instance when modeling a car i constantly "jump" in/out of car and tumble around certain parts (like A-pillar) like i'm getting inside and outside of car and with those widget icons that's mission impossible and lot more panning than needed :).

But use whatever you want it's there for various users so we all can be happy :). I just don't like to hear when users say something is BAD or worse than other (that x vs Y thing) and i know it ain't when used properly ;).

Philbert
02-17-2011, 07:50 AM
But use whatever you want it's there for various users so we all can be happy :). I just don't like to hear when users say something is BAD or worse than other (that x vs Y thing) and i know it ain't when used properly ;).

Whatever, dumb argument, I just know I've tried both ways many times over the years and have decided which one works best in my opinion.

Lewis
02-17-2011, 07:53 AM
I've tried both ways many times over the years and have decided which one works best in my opinion.

Me too.