PDA

View Full Version : LW9.6 + Demo V10 - Demo sais 'Dongle ID not found'

stereoping
02-17-2011, 03:11 AM
hi,

i got my 9.6 license running fine on win 7 32bit. Now i wanted to give the demo 10 a try.

I installed the demo 10 as described ('Choose custom install and make sure you uncheck the Sentinel Installer from the list of items to be installed '). I registered the demo on my account, entered the unlock-code with Help->Enter license and the license file was written correctly (checked the number inside the file with a texteditor) on the path shown in the entering-dialogue .

But on Demo-Restart (also stopped hub) it still is in trial-mode. Choosing Help->Enter license gets me the license-entering dialogue with a line saying "Dongle ID not found - restart Layout after dongle is attached"

My Dongle IS attached, otherwize my LW9.6 wont work - and i can SEE the dongle :)

What am i doing wrong?

thanks for your help,
Gregor

wrench
02-17-2011, 03:46 AM
Not sure why you are told not to do the Sentinel Install since 10 uses a newer version than 9.6. Install the Sentinel drivers you get with 10 and all will be well with both 9.6 and 10. Mind you, unless things have been changed, if you ever used a trial version of 9.x you won't be able to use a trial version of 10 since they use the same trial license numbers.

B

3DGFXStudios
02-17-2011, 03:58 AM
yes install the sentinel driver and make sure you put the lic in the correct location.

stereoping
02-17-2011, 06:49 AM
Not sure why you are told not to do the Sentinel Install since 10 uses a newer version than 9.6.

Well, that can be read on the official demo-download-and-install-page under Point 2:

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/lwtrial.php

Install the Sentinel drivers you get with 10 and all will be well with both 9.6 and 10.
B

I did. Now it finds the dongle, after putting the number it sais 'license ley successfully written'. After restarting layout it keeps in discovery mode saying 'Your license key was not found'

I read the ReadMe-UAC-Issues for Windows 7 suggesting 2 solutions:

1. to either install lightwave in a location outside 'program files'

I did. Problem still the same.

2. to deactivate UAC, restart, enter license

i did. Problem still the same. :cursin:

yes install the sentinel driver and make sure you put the lic in the correct location.

I'd love to. But WHERE is the correct location? In prior versions i rember it was the programs directory. now it's under userdata of the current userprofile. I copied it into bin directory, side by side to layout/modeler exe - no work.

wrench
02-17-2011, 07:17 AM
The license.key you entered was a 12-digit one rather than the normal 16-digit one? In its default place my license.key is at:
C:\Users\<username>\.NewTek\LightWave\10.0\licenses\license.key, but on my home machine that I'm not near it's in the bin dir IIRC. If you are having trouble with UAC going direct to that location and pasting the license.key file should work.

B

stereoping
02-17-2011, 08:22 AM
The license.key you entered was a 12-digit one rather than the normal 16-digit one?

no, it is 4 numbers with 4 digits -> 16. Opening the 'Enter license' always suggests me as predefined value 0000-0000-0000-0000 - seems to fit.

In its default place my license.key is at:
C:\Users\<username>\.NewTek\LightWave\10.0\licenses\license.key, but on my home machine that I'm not near it's in the bin dir IIRC. If you are having trouble with UAC going direct to that location and pasting the license.key file should work.
B

Thanks for your attention so far.

My 'license.key' is exactly in the location you described and the number is written correctly in this file by lightwave via the 'enter license' dialog. I checked it by opening it with a texteditor.

The problem is: when (re-)starting layout, it doesn't find this file and complains 'your license file was not found. contact newtek for a permanent license key'.

Interesting: changing Menu-Layout and Quiting saves new configurationfiles which are in the same directory as the folder 'licenses' with the license-file. That means lightwave HAS access to the folder.

Might there be something corrupt because i ordered my unlockingcode WITHOUT the sentinel driver installed? I can't figure out if the serial on the welcomescreen is the same because the welcomescreen doenst come anymore. I mean the screen unter point 3. on http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/lwtrial.php

wrench
02-17-2011, 08:30 AM
If your license key is sixteen digits it's not a trial key. When you start Layout 10 and you get the box it should give you a 12-digit hexadecimal number. That's the one you need to register.

B

stereoping
02-17-2011, 08:39 AM
If your license key is sixteen digits it's not a trial key. When you start Layout 10 and you get the box it should give you a 12-digit hexadecimal number. That's the one you need to register.

B

Right, I already registered. the response-key had 16 digits.

dwburman
02-17-2011, 08:51 AM
Have you tried the LW10 trial without the dongle plugged in? Maybe the existence of the dongle is confusing the trial version.

stereoping
02-17-2011, 09:19 AM
Have you tried the LW10 trial without the dongle plugged in? Maybe the existence of the dongle is confusing the trial version.

... without dongle i get this splash screen on startup with the hexadecimal serialdigit i need for registering in my account. all other things are the same - entering license sais 'successful' but on next startup the splashscreen comes again.

wrench
02-17-2011, 10:01 AM
I do beg your pardon, it is still a 16-digit license key, the serial number is 12-digit. Do try without your dongle in just as a test. I registered a LightWave 10 as a trial and still got the splash, but this time it just said "You have 30 days left on your trial key".

B

stereoping
02-17-2011, 11:22 AM
I do beg your pardon, it is still a 16-digit license key, the serial number is 12-digit. Do try without your dongle in just as a test. I registered a LightWave 10 as a trial and still got the splash, but this time it just said "You have 30 days left on your trial key".

B

Ah, i guess you are right! When unplugging dongle i also get the splashscreen with notation "x days left". I was upset by the 'trial mode' watermark all over the interface and thought is is the 'discover mode' without saving. So all seems cleared now. Thanks for your help :)

Nigellius
03-02-2011, 02:20 AM
Hi,

I also have an ongoing issue where the licence key was'nt being displayed for the trial version. I contacted customer support in the hope that they could come up with a solution. Donny Oropeza NewTek Tech Support responded to me thus, "You cant get a demo on Windows XP. It is one of the unsupported FX".

So it seems that lightwave does not run on Win XP...well it does because I sent then the screen shot from my pc, but Donny from tech support says that it doesn't.

Sorry Newtek but I will by voting with my pocket...bye.