PDA

View Full Version : OBJ's not loading

Richard Hebert
02-16-2011, 09:33 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm on a Mac mini (non Intel) trying to load a WaveFront OBJ file exported from DAZ 3d and LightWave keeps crashing while opening these files. I've got 1 gig of RAM with nothing else running in the background. Anybody else have this problem with WaveFront files? The files are only 6 mb in size.

Richard

wrench
02-17-2011, 01:56 AM
A 6MB OBJ file could still be big enough to topple your little machine. Have you tried to load it in a different LightWave on a bigger machine to see just how many polys it consists of?

B

zarti
02-17-2011, 04:15 AM
Hi Guys,

I'm on a Mac mini (non Intel) trying to load a WaveFront OBJ file exported from DAZ 3d and LightWave keeps crashing while opening these files. I've got 1 gig of RAM with nothing else running in the background. Anybody else have this problem with WaveFront files? The files are only 6 mb in size.

Richard

hi Richard , my quick suggestions wd be these 2 :

> 1 check different exporting options from DAZ ( i do not have one )

> 2 try to load it in another app ( Blender maybe ) . does it loads ?

if yes , export it again from there ...

doesn't seems to be a ram issue , imho ...

goodLuck ! =)

Richard Hebert
02-17-2011, 12:56 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the tips. I have 4 different (smaller) 3d apps. that can load this file (and larger) without so much as a hiccup. I've tried exporting a 3ds file from these to load into LightWave but the texture maps get funky. So... I'm back to square one. Lightwave doesn't crash importing large native .lwo or 3ds files that I can recall but .obj's seem to be a sticking point. NewTek techs feel free to chime in on this one.

Richard

Sensei
02-17-2011, 01:27 PM
That sounds like particular this OBJ file issue..
OBJ is text file - so you can edit it in any text editor. until it's not crashing. This way you will find exact line which is causing problem, and fix it.
If you would be on Windows I would recommend you trying TrueOBJImport, but you're on Mac..
Attach crashing your machine object file here, and I will check whether it happens here, and send to NewTek developers through Skype..

Richard Hebert
02-17-2011, 02:01 PM
Thanks Sensei,

This file is only app. 3.4 mb and is crashing LightWave 9.6

Sensei
02-17-2011, 02:10 PM
It's working fine on Windows 32 bit LW v9.6..
I have attached saved in Modeler OBJ to LWO.
Are you loading it in Modeler or Layout?
I didn't try loading it in Layout.

Sensei
02-17-2011, 02:13 PM
It's loading in Layout too..

Maybe it's not related to OBJ, but MTL?
You didn't attach it.
Try moving OBJ to different directory, where it'll be alone, then load (so MTL is not found and ignored).

Richard Hebert
02-17-2011, 02:17 PM
The problem is the same whether there is a material file attached or not and the problem crashes both layout and modeler if that helps. Also persists with similar files in various folders on my hard drive.

Sensei
02-17-2011, 02:25 PM
Check out mine LWO.. Whether it's loading fine after conversion in Modeler..

Anyway, it looks like pure Macintosh issue..

Richard Hebert
02-17-2011, 02:36 PM
The .lwo loads just fine. Just looks like an .obj issue.

Sensei
02-17-2011, 02:42 PM
If you can't use Windows to import all needed files, try editing .obj.. f.e. get ride of all non-standard commands and leave only "v", "vt", "vn" and "f".. in text editor. f.e. replace all "g" by "#g" etc. with other non-standard commands.

Make box in Modeler, Export as OBJ. Quit. Start Modeler again and try loading such LW generated file.. Is it loading fine or crashing too?

Richard Hebert
02-17-2011, 02:56 PM
I'm not a programmer so I won't be able to edit the text file (I'm clueless about code).

OK... Created a box in modeler then exported as .obj and it loaded fine. I found a 5 mb model jet (.lwo) and it loaded fine in modeler. I exported the jet as .obj and tried loading and modeler crashed about halfway through loading. Could this be a file size thing?

Sensei
02-17-2011, 03:06 PM
I'm not a programmer so I won't be able to edit the text file (I'm clueless about code).

It has nothing to do with programming. Just try leaving lines which starts from "v" (vertex), "vt" (vertex texture), "vn" (vertex normal) and "f" (face-polygon).

Otherwise, if you don't check this, you will have to use Windows while importing OBJ files..

OK... Created a box in modeler then exported as .obj and it loaded fine. I found a 5 mb model jet (.lwo) and it loaded fine in modeler. I exported the jet as .obj and tried loading and modeler crashed about halfway through loading. Could this be a file size thing?

I doubt.. OBJ files are rarely loaded whole to memory at once- they should/can be interpreted during loading line by line..

Try LW v10.0/LW HC, maybe it's already fixed..

Richard Hebert
02-17-2011, 03:24 PM
Just opened a 19mb .lwo file for kicks. A 1.4mb .obj file will open in modeler but not a 3mb model both exported from modeler as .obj files? I can't believe that I'll have to check the code on every .obj that I might need to import. Seems a bit counter productive. I do appreciate your help on this. I wouldn't have thought about exporting as .obj from modeler to test this.

rsfd
02-17-2011, 04:06 PM
Hi,
just downloaded your .obj and it loads fine here on LW9.6 (#1539), LW9.6.1 (#1553) and LW10 (#2067) Mac-UB.
Just some small geometry issues (flipped polys, some unwelded points).
The obj file format plugin on 9.6 Mac has some issues, some were resolved for 9.6.1/10.

You wrote that you're on PPC Mac mini - do you use the 9.6 CFM (PPC) or UB version?
If you are using CFM, I would suggest to download and install the UB, as it is much better.
(You will have to keep the CFM for older, PPC only plugins though)

Richard Hebert
02-17-2011, 04:25 PM
I'm using the CFM version. Didn't realize that the UB version would run on this machine.

Sensei
02-17-2011, 04:30 PM
UB running depends on operating system, not hardware.

Richard Hebert
02-17-2011, 04:43 PM
Looking for the download page from NewTek. Where can I find the UB download?

rsfd
02-17-2011, 05:47 PM
If you're a registered user of LW 9.x, you should find the download links in your NewTek Account's "My Downloads" page.
(http://register.newtek.com/).

You should find Universal Binaries for LW 9.3, 9.3.1 and 9.6:

LightWave v9 32-bit - Version 9.3.0 (Mac OS X Universal Binary)
added 08-16-2007

LightWave v9 32-bit - Version 9.3.1 (Mac OS X Universal Binary)
added 11-20-2007

LightWave v9.6 32-bit - Version 9.6 (Mac OS X Universal Binary)
added 01-19-2009

(you should have 10.5 Leopard, but 10.4 Tiger will do too)

Richard Hebert
02-17-2011, 08:02 PM
Hey Guys,
So far, the UB version is working and importing the obj files with respective materials. At least I'll be able to save out .lwo files for future use and maybe downsize this model library. I must have four versions of each model for these programs that all want things their own way... pict files for image textures yada yada yada...
Thanks for wading through this thing with me.

Richard

Richard Hebert
02-17-2011, 09:53 PM
Another note, IK Booster was another main issue that I had and it too is resolved with the UB version sooo.... thanks again Sensei and RSFD. What exactly does RSFD stand for btw?

Richard

rsfd
02-18-2011, 05:46 AM
:D
well, at least the r just stands for: "Roger", the rest is just an abbreviation of my family name and profession, so everything just has *no* meaning

glad to read that UB did it for you.
If you don't rely on any PPC only plugins (those with the .p ending), you could completely switch to the UB (which uses UB plugins with the ending .plugin)
cheers, Roger