PDA

View Full Version : SX-8 Composite Output - Brighter (Setup/Termination?)

tarkken
09-30-2003, 02:25 PM
Hi. New VT2 user here (SX-8/RS-8). I've taken it out a couple of times, and use it mainly for live events.

I am using Component inputs for cameras, and have selected component output, which is fed into decks for recording.

My observation/question:

The composite output is significantly hotter - I would say illegal video, when fed into the same decks, or fed into a smaller submixer.

Am I missing something for a composite setting? - It seems as though the video out of the composite jacks has no video setup (0 ire?), or is not terminated. I have 7.5 ire setup picked in the VT menus, and the output set to component, rather than S-VHS. S-VHS and component outputs from the SX-8 look great - composite looks 'similar' - but hotter.

For IMAG it has a bit of an advantage, as it's 'overdriving' the projected signal, but I'd like an answer/option if I can.

It's probably something simple, and I hate asking dumb questions - but any insight is appreciated.

Thanks as always,

Shawn

Jim Capillo
09-30-2003, 03:24 PM
Oops, never mind - read your question wrong. Have you terminated after the composite feed to the monitor?

tarkken
09-30-2003, 03:38 PM
Termination - no - I've got a small punch switch before the monitor, so I can view all of the decks. So here's the system/difference:

(2) Sony DSR-45 - Component input from Toaster
(1) JVC SR-VS30 miniDV/SVHS - composite input from toaster

sending composite output from all decks into a 4-way composite punch switch, and the output of that into a Sony 14M4u for program viewing, post deck. Both Sony DSR-45's (component inputs) look good, the JVC image looks hot. Likewise, a straight composite from the toaster SX-8 into the DSR-45's looks hot, as does a composite output into another submixer or projector.

So - there's no additional termination outside of the toaster/monitor (none that I'm doing - I'm assuming it's automatic in the monitor, and wouldn't matter with the setup above), and the punch switch allows you to see the difference in the signals.

I can't help but feel that I've got a setting switched incorrectly in the menus, or that I'm not terminating the composite outputs (if that's even an option)? Maybe it's something easier. I noticed it when I built the racks - just something that's been bugging me here & there, and when I record a safety tape on the 3rd (JVC) deck.

Thanks for the reply - looking forward to people's thoughts.