PDA

View Full Version : Child Bones: draw 1st one offset?

jeric_synergy
02-16-2011, 05:42 PM
Is it possible to start a chain of child bones offset from their parent?

Normally, "Draw Child Bones" starts from the tip of the currently selected bone. AFAICT, to start offset you first have to use DRAW BONES once, then Draw Child Bones, then go back and child the first bone to the parent. What a PITA.

I'd like a variant, where the FIRST bone can be offset from the currently selected bone, but all subsequent bones are drawn from the tip of the previous bone. Call it "Start Bone Chain".

Or does that already exist?

MaDDoX
02-18-2011, 08:39 AM
Why don't you simply draw them connected and unparent the offset ones after it's all created then delete the "gap-filling" ones. That's what I do, I don't find it much trouble at all. Actually tbh the only tool I use for deformer placement is draw joints, much easier to get things right from start - imo :)

jeric_synergy
02-18-2011, 09:48 AM
I could, I guess, but I still think that it would be a good addition. (And so does Lino, who's forgotten more than I'll ever know about rigging.)

When I watch rigging videos and people are spending a lot of time oscillating between the menus and the work area, I know something is not optimized.

RebelHill
02-18-2011, 10:50 AM
Id go with maddox way, just remove out the inbetween bone... its quick and easy enough. If the tools jsut started the child bone where you clicked on screen, then trying to draw a chain where you want them root to tip would be very difficult indeed, you'd have lil mm size offset errors all over the place... unless there were 2 tools, draw child bones, and draw child bones offset, which'd still mean clicking back and forth.

jeric_synergy
02-18-2011, 01:16 PM
... If the tools jsut started the child bone where you clicked on screen, then trying to draw a chain where you want them root to tip would be very difficult indeed, you'd have lil mm size offset errors all over the place... unless there were 2 tools, draw child bones, and draw child bones offset, which'd still mean clicking back and forth.
Please read this again:

Normally, "Draw Child Bones" starts from the tip of the currently selected bone. AFAICT, to start offset you first have to use DRAW BONES once, then Draw Child Bones, then go back and child the first bone to the parent. What a PITA.

I'd like a variant, where the FIRST bone can be offset from the currently selected bone, but all subsequent bones are drawn from the tip of the previous bone. Call it "Start Bone Chain".

IOW, it is exactly like using "Draw Bone", followed by "Draw Child Bones", without the bother of switching. In fact, it could switch itself over to "Draw Child Bones" just to make that clear. (Heck, it should be possible to lscript this feature.)

For instance, if you've already drawn a 'Pelvis' bone, you could have 'Pelvis' selected, chose "Start Bone Chain", and draw the entire leg at an offset, without the admittedly slight bother of having to delete any bridging bone (also avoiding any rotational weirdness that may/may not introduce).

It's a convenience.

RebelHill
02-18-2011, 02:11 PM
I suupose you could could have another draw chain tool which stated from wherever you clicked, and then went poijnt to tip... though thats yet ANOTHER tool to add on. Though I suppose the most obvious choice would be to have a modified draw child bones tool, that used a modifier key, say hold ctrl to start the next bone from wherever you click, unheld to start at the tip of the last.

Also, doing the delete bridging bone thing would have no effect on rotations, and cause no wierdness that you wouldnt have if you were able to draw offset.

jeric_synergy
02-18-2011, 06:50 PM
Though I suppose the most obvious choice would be to have a modified draw child bones tool, that used a modifier key, say hold ctrl to start the next bone from wherever you click, unheld to start at the tip of the last.
That's a better idea: use the existing DRAW CHILD BONES with a modifier. Brilliant in its simplicity.

I'll have to fogbugz that idea!