PDA

View Full Version : modeling eyelids, sockets

jeric_synergy
02-15-2011, 10:58 AM
One of my absolute least favorite modeling tasks is creating eyelids and eyesockets -- mostly the lids, since the bulk of the socket is concealed by the eyeball itself.

Anyone got some handy-dandy tips for this laborious (AFAICT) task?? :help:

Thanks!

+++++++++++++ On a related note:
Is there a Surface setting that will result in a surface appearing in Modeler's OGL display as a nice solid color, but will result in a render that is perfectly transparent?

MaDDoX
02-15-2011, 01:06 PM
One of my absolute least favorite modeling tasks is creating eyelids and eyesockets -- mostly the lids, since the bulk of the socket is concealed by the eyeball itself.

Anyone got some handy-dandy tips for this laborious (AFAICT) task?? :help:
Well, I could say what you probably already know (add sphere to the background as reference, shift+select layers to watch their intersection, etc), but I think the most important trick I can share is to use endomorphs to help defining your topology especially in the tight corners and loops of eyelids. Simply create a new endomorph and smooth the mesh as much as needed until you can clearly read its topology lines. Just make sure you keep those loop lines flowing closed (spirals are bad!) and you'll be safe. Needless to say, that's an absolutely great technique also to make weight painting, when needed, easier.

Is there a Surface setting that will result in a surface appearing in Modeler's OGL display as a nice solid color, but will result in a render that is perfectly transparent?
Why don't you simply change the render display mode in Modeler? There's a nifty way to define shortcuts for those, just hit ctrl+numkey to define a rendering-mode only viewport setting, then the same numkey to recall it.

jeric_synergy
02-15-2011, 01:36 PM
Why don't you simply change the render display mode in Modeler? There's a nifty way to define shortcuts for those, just hit ctrl+numkey to define a rendering-mode only viewport setting, then the same numkey to recall it.
I want to have template objects in the same layer as the main geometry, but since they don't appear in the final render I also wanted them to be invisible to the camera.

On the other matter, while using endomorphs seems an especially good way to avoid borking one's geometry irremediably, it all still comes down to a lot of vertice tweaking. --Are you saying that, because you can mess w/endomorphs with impunity, it's easier to radically twist the geometry to the point where you can actually see what you're doing?

++++++++
I will say: the combination of Selecting an Edge, then using Sel Points to reveal the points for that particular edge (within the storm of points), is probably my most useful technique.

MaDDoX
02-18-2011, 08:47 AM
I want to have template objects in the same layer as the main geometry
Exactly why do you want that? To see the template volume shaded? I agree that would be handy for such tasks, it's an option in Modo. Anyways, to make them invisible I don't see what would be the advantage. Anyways, you could try assigning a transparent material and using it in Layout like that.

Are you saying that, because you can mess w/endomorphs with impunity, it's easier to radically twist the geometry to the point where you can actually see what you're doing?
Exactly, any geometry changes you make in the endomorph propagates to the base geometry. Use it to properly read and tweak the edge flow on crumpled geometry. Makes it much easier to properly understand things like edge spin, connect, etc.

Imagine the mayhem of trying to paint weights in seriously overlapped areas like hanging pants over a sock, connected to the leg/foot etc. Create an endomorph with those areas properly untangled (even if just selecting loops and moving them along the Y until they no longer overlap) and your day is instantly 10x more joyful :)

jeric_synergy
02-18-2011, 01:57 PM
Imagine the mayhem of trying to paint weights in seriously overlapped areas like hanging pants over a sock, connected to the leg/foot etc. Create an endomorph with those areas properly untangled (even if just selecting loops and moving them along the Y until they no longer overlap) and your day is instantly 10x more joyful :)
Yep: my default name for that Endomorph is "SELECTOR".

sandman300
03-08-2011, 09:56 PM
Wow, that's an awesome tip. I've done that for UV mapping but I never thought of doing that for other things.:thumbsup: