PDA

View Full Version : UV Mapping Problem

Matt
02-28-2003, 02:31 PM
This is probably something I've done, but why isn't this mapping the areas marked correctly?

The model depicted here is a common application I need to use UV mapping for, is there a way to unfold this shape and keep the polys 'normal', essentially flattening out this shape.

The fact that most of the UV texture map types stretch the polys is one of the reasons I don't use UV mapping very often, it would be great if LightWave had more 'intelligent' unfolding code, or at least more map types to choose from.

Isn't unfolding shapes using standard mapping techniques (planar, cylindrical etc.) always going to be a loser anyway?

'Atlas' would be great if it kept the poly 'flow' as you see it on screen (if you know what I mean).

Cheers
Matt

PHilly[Dee]
02-28-2003, 08:32 PM
create an endomorph of your obejct. Flatten it out in 1 axis, like the Y. Unweld your points, take a UV snap on that axis, and BINGO...

there's other ways to refine the SD surface UVs, but off the top of my head this probably would help...

Matt
02-28-2003, 09:47 PM
you've lost me a little here, can you explain in a little more detail please!!!

:)

hrgiger
02-28-2003, 10:36 PM
Matt,

Make an endomorph of your object. Flatten it so that the surface is flat from the direction you would planar map it. Then just use a planar projection. Once you've applied the image map and are happy with the texture placement, you can delete the endomorph.

Jack Daniel here on the forums also has a nice tutorial on planar baking the surface which is great, especially for complex objects. Not sure what the link is, or if the link is even still up.

PHilly[Dee]
02-28-2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Matt
you've lost me a little here, can you explain in a little more detail please!!!

:)

Sorry, buddy, I had my 7 week newborn on my lap when I wrote it... :cool:
hrgiger explained it nicely. And, I do agree about the atlas mapping method

Adrian Lopez
02-28-2003, 11:41 PM
The technique is also explained here (http://www.menithings.com/How/TheFreak_01_UV/Freak_UV_01.html).

Matt
03-01-2003, 10:01 AM
okay the only thing I'm unsure about is HOW to flatten it out so all the polys are true 'size'.

Do you mean edit the points by hand to straighten it out?