PDA

View Full Version : Tricaster XD300 and LiveText Data Link

RadioErewan
02-14-2011, 04:17 AM
How to use Data Link (text observer) in tricaster installed LiveText? Nothing from guide in manual works.
:-?

Regards

kltv
02-14-2011, 10:08 AM
You can't. DataLink works in the standalone LiveText, not directly on the TriCaster.

Kris

RadioErewan
02-14-2011, 10:30 AM
:-( Hmm, I am surprised. Any other way of changing titles remotely?

RadioErewan
02-14-2011, 01:07 PM
OK, have found my way :-D.

ZachSchuster
02-14-2011, 02:46 PM
:-( Hmm, I am surprised. Any other way of changing titles remotely?

I noticed a while back that when you export titles on the native XD300 version of LiveText, the file is an XML file.

I've never tried this, but I've often wondered if I could remotely change that XML file by sharing the folder that the file resides in, then see if the Tricaster auto-updates the CG.

Anyone every tried that?

RadioErewan
02-14-2011, 03:00 PM
Yes, I did it, and it works - in real time. Ctrl+S in Notepad ++ on remote machine and it changes on preview - even on Title actually overlayed :-D. Would be nice to have some more advanced options like clock functions, but it is not big problem. Nice small app to ping files remotely on timer... Everything is possible. Even feeding stock tickers in real time.
Do not understand, why this functionality was removed from Tricaster version of LiveText.

Have to test graphics, moving objects and if it works, WOW!

Regards

ZachSchuster
02-14-2011, 07:55 PM
Yes, I did it, and it works - in real time. Ctrl+S in Notepad ++ on remote machine and it changes on preview - even on Title actually overlayed :-D. Would be nice to have some more advanced options like clock functions, but it is not big problem. Nice small app to ping files remotely on timer... Everything is possible. Even feeding stock tickers in real time.
Do not understand, why this functionality was removed from Tricaster version of LiveText.

Have to test graphics, moving objects and if it works, WOW!

Regards

Wow, this is really interesting. I'm wondering what Newtek's stance is on this as far as the "safety" of overwriting files in this manner during live production.

I'm also curious how far you can go with these overwrites... like, if you took the entire XML structure from a different CG file and pasted/saved that in to the file that was live... would the entire CG and thumbnail change instantly? What about changing images that are in the file? I'm not able to test this right now, probably not for several days. Anyone care to try?

If it is possible, and is more or less "safe" to do in Live Production, one could develop an application to remotely change entire graphic... oh the possibilities!

kltv
02-14-2011, 08:47 PM
Cool!

RadioErewan
02-14-2011, 11:42 PM
Wow, this is really interesting. I'm wondering what Newtek's stance is on this as far as the "safety" of overwriting files in this manner during live production.

I'm also curious how far you can go with these overwrites... like, if you took the entire XML structure from a different CG file and pasted/saved that in to the file that was live... would the entire CG and thumbnail change instantly? What about changing images that are in the file? I'm not able to test this right now, probably not for several days. Anyone care to try?

If it is possible, and is more or less "safe" to do in Live Production, one could develop an application to remotely change entire graphic... oh the possibilities!

Will try it today. If graphics changes too, it is possible to do slow animations ;-)

ZachSchuster
02-15-2011, 07:47 AM
If that works, since you can load titles in to the Stills bin, one could conceivably have two "internal" CG channels with "external" control, plus one on NET running LiveText.

Hmmm....

PIZAZZ
02-15-2011, 07:55 AM
Basically you are doing the same thing as the FrameBuffer aren't you?

ZachSchuster
02-15-2011, 08:39 AM
Yeah, that's about what it comes to, Jef. Only difference is you are overwriting the CG file, not replacing an image.

Pretty cool!

kltv
02-15-2011, 10:08 AM
And I don't think the 300 has frame buffers at this point...

Kris