PDA

View Full Version : New functions in Spline Control: not documented

jeric_synergy
02-13-2011, 07:31 PM
There's a couple new fields in the Spline Control dialog since 9.6, unfortunately they are not documented. Anybody know what they specifically do?

here's the bug reports:

case: 36864

The Spline Control checkbox option "Use Object's CPs" is not defined in the documentation.
(or, it's so hard to find, it might as well be missing.)

++++++++
case: 36865

The function of the Spline Control field "Object Name Prefix" is not defined in the dox.

I don't buy puzzles, I buy tools.

Red_Oddity
02-14-2011, 02:34 AM
I'm guessing it means Control Points, but not sure how one would use the Control Points of the Object the tool is applied to (or how to make CPs in modeler/layout, Nulls?, skelegons? vertexes?)

Yes, LW can often be the veritable who-dunnit of the software world when it comes to guessing functions.

meshpig
02-14-2011, 03:51 AM
It allows you to add splines to the object and define the motion from there.

Add a spline ( make curve) to the top of the page object in the documentation example "Bookopen_Spline page" then check use object CP's... assign an axis then hit play. Object name prefix is probably for scripting?

meshpig
02-14-2011, 05:09 AM
... it's a bit like the "frame" drop down menu in the camera properties panel which used to be called aperture height; ie. it's ostensibly f**'d .

bazsa73
02-14-2011, 05:16 AM
I didnt know about this, great feature.

jeric_synergy
02-14-2011, 02:54 PM
It allows you to add splines to the object and define the motion from there.

Add a spline ( make curve) to the top of the page object in the documentation example "Bookopen_Spline page" then check use object CP's... assign an axis then hit play. Object name prefix is probably for scripting?
Thanks. Are the splines in the same layer?

Pretty frustrating that the doc team obviously never took a whack at this: the illustration in the dox is from 9.6. feh.

Things "they" should have covered: what if there are multiple splines?

If only there was a newtek sponsored wiki...... yes, that dead horse....

EDIT: I wasn't able to find an instance of "Bookopen" in the dox: where did you see that? Thanks.

meshpig
02-15-2011, 02:40 AM
Thanks. Are the splines in the same layer?

Pretty frustrating that the doc team obviously never took a whack at this: the illustration in the dox is from 9.6. feh.

Things "they" should have covered: what if there are multiple splines?

If only there was a newtek sponsored wiki...... yes, that dead horse....

EDIT: I wasn't able to find an instance of "Bookopen" in the dox: where did you see that? Thanks.

Hang on I'll pkg the scene. There never are so you sort of have to be intuitive... yes on the same layer. I mean there are probably more secret passage ways here so experiment and report:lwicon:

jeric_synergy
02-15-2011, 01:00 PM
Thanks meshpig, dl'd.

The NAME field: I'm wondering if that's similar to the "Effector Prefix" where it has ramifications that extend further than one might expect.

EG, it could be a way to use CPs in another object. (not that CPs are documented.)

We just don't know, and it really pisses me off that there's no QUICK way to find out, and Newtek shows no interest in implementing that capability, i.e. sponsoring a WIKI.

meshpig
02-16-2011, 03:26 AM
That sounds likely but no mention of it either in all the 9 vids on the subject googled so far. Yeah, it's not like NT are short of a cracker.

jeric_synergy
02-16-2011, 01:24 PM
Are those new videos that cover the new Spline Control LW10 features, or existing videos covering SC in previous LW versions?

BTW, I tried adding a spline to my object and using "Use Object's CPs", but it didn't seem to make a difference. Node generation was still governed by the slider setting.

meshpig
02-17-2011, 12:09 AM
Are those new videos that cover the new Spline Control LW10 features, or existing videos covering SC in previous LW versions?

BTW, I tried adding a spline to my object and using "Use Object's CPs", but it didn't seem to make a difference. Node generation was still governed by the slider setting.

Well, I'm not sure there are any new features. It came in first with 7 and from memory the "use object CP's" button isn't new either. That's what I meant by "ostensibly F*'d".

Like the film back field called Frame on the camera pane it's a complete mystery.

- No mention here in the 10 vids and no other 10 vids on the subject AFAIK;
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/pageturn.mov

Kinda spooky hey:goodluck:

jeric_synergy
02-17-2011, 08:58 PM
Ah, I see: the PDF image cropped off the part of the UI that included "Use Object CPs".

AFAICT, the 10.0 version is the same as 9.6, which also was never documented. Good eye.

meshpig
02-18-2011, 01:10 AM
It was definitely introduced in the 9 cycle, have an old imac on the network here in a box somewhere under a pile of clothes in another room which has 8.2 still on it.

It does something but perhaps if you retitled the thread to something like "WTF is the use object CP's button for..." we might be enlightened, or maybe not:)

jeric_synergy
02-18-2011, 02:17 AM
Yeah, I've been shouting down that well a looooooooooooooong time, and don't have a lot of faith in timely results.

evolross
03-04-2011, 07:00 PM
What's the secret to seeing any type of controls for the Spline Control tool!? :cursin:

Every time I've tried to use it in LW9.6 or LW10, it simply doesn't do anything to my mesh. No spline, handles, nothing. Even when I load the book example, the page deforms properly, but I don't see any handles or spline to control it.

Also, is Curve Conform just a static tool? Like you shape a curve in Modeler and then conform an object to it? You can't interactively edit the curve in Layout can you?