PDA

View Full Version : Latency during switching makes Tricaster USELESS ! HELP

Rich Nation
02-13-2011, 12:34 PM
Hi,

SD Tricaster Studio model we just purchased for our church. I have used tricasters for several years. Never had this problem before:

When you switch between cameras (whether using keyboard or mouse) on the preset or program row often times there is as much as a 2 second delay. Also sometimes when the camera switches there is a brightness flicker for a split second (almost like a video termination issue).
When trying to take fast cuts between cameras this is USELESS. We have four cameras hooked up to tricaster via component cables/inputs. We are also recording to hard drive AND streaming live.

It's almost like the tricaster doesn't have fast enough ram or processing power to handle all this... yet this model can accomodate 6 cameras.
SO , maybe Tricaster is just too wimpy to handle this?? Can we beef up the ram? Processor not beefy enough to hand this much load? What the heck is going on? Anyone else have this problem?
I also have a (now discontinued) basic tricaster that I use like this all the time and has no problems switching between cameras while streaming on web.

I have made sure no other programs are running in the background or taxing the system's memory. WHAT CAN I DO?? DEFECTIVE???

SBowie
02-14-2011, 04:58 AM
WHAT CAN I DO?? DEFECTIVE???Quite possibly. TI could be a simple matter, or a more complex one. Lacking time this am to pursue this, I would suggest getting in touch with Tech Support. The behavior you're seeing is clearly unusual.

Rich Nation
02-15-2011, 12:14 PM
Researching on this thread I read people saying that the Tricaster is not designed to hot punch cameras. You must punch each in preset first. However that still has a delay. Due to long camera cables maybe ?

SBowie
02-15-2011, 07:09 PM
Researching on this thread I read people saying that the Tricaster is not designed to hot punch cameras. You must punch each in preset first. However that still has a delay. Due to long camera cables maybe ?Absolutely not. Any delay when switching beyond the blink of an eye is an issue of some sort.

Dub2Dat
02-17-2011, 03:03 PM
I have a Tricaster Studio that behaves the same way. There is a significant delay from the time you press the button to switch and the switch actually taking place. Trying to set up the next shot on the preview bus in not always practical. If you are trying to follow fast action or cut to the beat of a rocking band you pretty much screwed.

Please post a solution if you find one.

jcupp
02-19-2011, 07:17 AM
Genlock the cameras.

I have a Tricaster Studio that behaves the same way. There is a significant delay from the time you press the button to switch and the switch actually taking place. Trying to set up the next shot on the preview bus in not always practical. If you are trying to follow fast action or cut to the beat of a rocking band you pretty much screwed.

Jim_C
02-19-2011, 04:15 PM

Become a better Director.

jcupp
02-19-2011, 06:13 PM
While Jim_C is being a little snarky there, he does have a point. If you are cutting cameras so quickly that you don't have time to place them on preview you may be just cutting too quickly (to make watchable video).

Switch to decaf and ease up a bit. :)

Jim_C
02-19-2011, 10:12 PM
While Jim_C is being a little snarky there, he does have a point. If you are cutting cameras so quickly that you don't have time to place them on preview you may be just cutting too quickly (to make watchable video).

Switch to decaf and ease up a bit. :)

Snarky?

me?

Never!?!

It takes a while, hard work, and practice. But you CAN get good enough to send a TD preview switches in time to keep up with any sporting or musical event.

Force yourself to do it, even from the start. Don't cheat with hot punches.

If you are doing a band, send the commands a half a beat before so the TD receives and punches its on the beat. Give the TD time.
'2, Go 2' or '2, Go' doesnt take that long to say. Once the TD finds your rhythm he'll be on the beat if you just lead him the camera.

If you are doing a sporting event look ahead and prepare. Don't follow the action, lead it.

bla bla bla

/snarky

wftiv
03-19-2011, 07:38 PM
I have TC Pro's, the basic Tricaster, and now the 850. (and couple of VT[5]s in the mix as well) I have never seen a two second delay....ever. What could cause this I have no idea. If you were using a VT on a built computer, maybe it is not powerful enough, but the TCs are built around their processors capability. Maybe the delay is two frames after you push the button on the switcher, but two seconds....time to call tech. support and have the puppy rebuilt. Gen lock will minimize any delays, but still two seconds???? On the new 850, I took it out of the box turned it on and shot for four hours in HD, SDI video inputs and never a delay of any kind. Just thinking you have a technical issue that is not normal for a TC.

sve3
04-26-2011, 11:14 AM
Some Tricasters get shipped without the bios set right. Go to your startup screen hit F2 for the bios, make sure the PCI Latency is set to 128. If not set to this it can cause all types of issues with the switcher such as delay, jumping, corrupted dvr recording etc. You should be able to hot punch or do anything else the unit is designed for, if not then there is a hardware issue. Good luck.

bob anderson
04-28-2011, 02:31 PM
Some Tricasters get shipped without the bios set right. Go to your startup screen hit F2 for the bios, make sure the PCI Latency is set to 128. If not set to this it can cause all types of issues with the switcher such as delay, jumping, corrupted dvr recording etc. You should be able to hot punch or do anything else the unit is designed for, if not then there is a hardware issue. Good luck.

This has to do with DDR activity, not the live environment. I agree that you should be able to hot punch with not more than a couple of frames delay. 2 seconds sounds more like a MAJOR hardware issue, but even at that, the built in frame syncs CAN'T introduce a 2 second delay.

lancelewis
05-30-2011, 04:20 PM
did you ever get this issue resolved