PDA

View Full Version : Displacing Text & Logos

sampei
02-13-2011, 09:12 AM
so I was trying to get some text displaced around a cilinder, and while rendering I noticed that the sides of the letters were being perturbed quite heavily. I tried several things like doubling the maps res and adding some glow in PS to soften the transition from black to white, but I still got the jittered displacement on letter sides (see pics). I've noticed that turning on pixel blending helps, and used subd level of 60 which produced a poly count of 8 million, which is quite high considering it's a simple cylinder with some text on it. I was wondering if anyone has come up with a solution for this, or if maybe I am doing something wrong?

JeffrySG
02-13-2011, 11:12 AM
I would have probably just modeled the text/logo and placed them around the cylinder especially seeing how much they are extruding. More modeling work but less headaches and better results.

sampei
02-14-2011, 01:55 PM
good point, to be perfectly honest I wanted the quick/lazy way to do it and get perfect results. I might try the displacement thing in mudbox and see if it generates a better map, although I suspect that the outcome won't change, in which case I'll have to model it.

jeric_synergy
02-14-2011, 02:49 PM
Mayyyybe saving the xformed object and cleaning it up is viable (ie faster).

Is this normal displacement mapping, or 'standard' displacement mapping?

sampei
02-14-2011, 02:59 PM
did I mention it's 8 million triangles ? I guess I could try and mess around with the subD levels, but in the time that would take me to experiment and clean it, I might as well model it.
If with "normal" you mean the nodal setup with the spot info, its that. I couldn't find a way to use the old texture editor as it forces the displacement along one axis...so unless your displacing a plane, its pretty pointless.

wrench
02-14-2011, 03:33 PM
It's purely down to your polygon "resolution" but increasing the SubD level is the sledgehammer-to-crack-a-walnut method. At the *very least* you only need to subdivide heavily where the text is, if you still want to do it that way, otherwise I would probably not even use subpatches and stencil the letters from an EPS into the sides of the disc... of course, what you need the disc for will mean different methods.

B

jeric_synergy
02-14-2011, 05:54 PM
If with "normal" you mean the nodal setup with the spot info, its that. I couldn't find a way to use the old texture editor as it forces the displacement along one axis...so unless your displacing a plane, its pretty pointless.

"normal" NOT in the sense of "usual".

(I always thought it was some sort of "polygon normal" reference.)

sampei
02-14-2011, 07:22 PM
@ wrench: good call, I completely forgot about aps...I might try that. The disc is simply a plinth for a character, nothing fancy...however I do want it perfect. I'll see how I feel if it comes to modeling, I tend to prefer subdivision surfaces over faces for the simple fact that I find it a lot more rewarding and fun.

@ jeric: now I'm even more confused :'D
what do you mean with normal displacement mapping and standard displacement mapping ? have I replied already ? honestly confused, I'll use the language card and tell you I'm italian.

JeffrySG
02-14-2011, 09:12 PM
Yep, I'd still recommend keeping the base as a subd model and then just doing the text as poly models and you could add a nice bevel to the edges to pick up highlights. Then just place the letters and logo around the base. If you really wanted to you could slightly round the front of the letters/logo so they match the radius of the base. This would look great and be the fastest way. It's easy to want to do it a specific way sometimes even when a simpler method would work faster. I do the same thing!

jeric_synergy
02-14-2011, 09:37 PM
Someone w/more knowledge of normal mapping is gonna have to take this one.

(dood, your handle is "Sampei", you're in Glasgow, and your first language is Italian????)

sampei
02-15-2011, 07:36 AM
@ Jeffry: thanks man, I'll do that then. Truly appreciate your constant input/advice :thumbsup:

@ jeric: ah, now it's clear. Of course I now what normal maps are, but you wrote "normal displacement map" which created all the confusion. A normal map doesn't displace anything, it replaces the normals direction on each vector. It's a mere hack of the shading model, like a bump.
(yup, I'm italian and my first language will always be italian!)