PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista and 7 - check your cores!

Rayek
02-12-2011, 10:53 PM
Just a heads up for anyone running an intel i7 cpu. For some time I had a feeling my render times were up compared to a year ago, and today I compared my Cinebench scores with the ones on the web. Strangely enough, they were 50% lower.

So I checked cpu-z, and low and behold: only two cores running, with 4 threads. Which should be 4 and 8, respectively. The task manager also gave me only 4 threads. However! The device manager reported 8 threads.

For a while I was scratching my head, wondering what could be causing this - until I found out, for some very obscure reason, whenever the number of processors in msconfig is set to 4, Windows will only use 2(!) cores!!!

This just happened spontaneously, and I have been using only half the cores for about 6-8 months now. So: just in case, check your cores.
I attached a pic with the setting in question.

ToMar
02-13-2011, 08:18 AM
:foreheads This is off by default. Some wanabee tuners turn this on and claim that windows uses all those cores on boot up. Tried it with 1. Tried it with 8. No difference. Left it on until I upgraded to 12cores...... :stumped:

you can guess the rest. http://www.newtek.com/forums/images/icons/icon11.gif

Rayek
02-13-2011, 06:51 PM
I felt incredibly silly after finding out - I could've saved hours upon hours of test rendering time the last three months!!! :bangwall::cry: