PDA

View Full Version : Still specs

tarsierspectral
02-12-2011, 12:45 PM
I need to create a still in Photoshop and then import it Tricaster. My project is HD. I got the dimensions of the graphic set to 1920x1080, what about resolution? Does it matter?

SBowie
02-12-2011, 12:55 PM
1920x1080 is resolution. For reasons best left in the realm of printing, not broadcast, there is occasionally some confusion around the topic of dpi, but the whole concept is essentially irrelevant, if not actually misleading, when it comes to video . Forget about inches and deal with pixels, and you'll save yourself a lot of grief.

tarsierspectral
02-12-2011, 01:01 PM
sorry, yes. I just need to know if the dpi is relevant at all? If not, what should I make it?

kltv
02-12-2011, 01:16 PM
It doesn't really matter to your output. As long as it looks like you want it to look, it comes out that way in the TriCaster. About the only thing it really will make a difference with is the font sizes in Photoshop. I'd probably just set it to 72 DPI. Then font sizes seems to translate to what you'd expect. For example, if you set your DPI to 300, a 32pt font is much larger than it would appear in a 72 DPI canvas. That means you have to set your fonts to a much smaller PT size to get get the same visible size. It also helps to have the 72 DPI so that you font sizes translate a little better between applications. So if you want to take a lower third you've mocked up in Photoshop into LiveText, the font size should be roughly the same as it is in Photoshop if you set it to 72 DPI when you start.

Kris

tarsierspectral
02-12-2011, 01:26 PM
It doesn't really matter to your output. As long as it looks like you want it to look, it comes out that way in the TriCaster. About the only thing it really will make a difference with is the font sizes in Photoshop. I'd probably just set it to 72 DPI. Then font sizes seems to translate to what you'd expect. For example, if you set your DPI to 300, a 32pt font is much larger than it would appear in a 72 DPI canvas. That means you have to set your fonts to a much smaller PT size to get get the same visible size. It also helps to have the 72 DPI so that you font sizes translate a little better between applications. So if you want to take a lower third you've mocked up in Photoshop into LiveText, the font size should be roughly the same as it is in Photoshop if you set it to 72 DPI when you start.

Kris
Thank you!!!