PDA

View Full Version : 9.6 - 2 modeler plug-ins I'd die for !

sampei
02-12-2011, 11:15 AM
I'm not sure where 9.6 plug-in developers stand with 10 and all but here's the 2 things that would make my modeling workflow "perfect".

1) bridge (especially for edges) that works with symmetry

2) select loop "one way" (assuming the loop is open, I select edge/poly 1, I select edge/poly 2 and activate. The selection crawls from 1 to 2, 3 and so on. While the other half of the loop remains unselected)

Any chance of someone making these? I wouldn't mind paying for them, it the only two things that I really miss while modeling. cheers.

Danner
02-12-2011, 02:14 PM
2) http://www.lwplugindb.com/Plugin.aspx?id=14a02c86 If I understood you correctly.

JeffrySG
02-12-2011, 02:44 PM
Sounds like #2 your looking for is in LW already. Search for "select path".

sampei
02-12-2011, 04:53 PM
@Danner: thanks a lot for the link, the script is coming up with an error when I load it though, I'll see if I can find the source.

@Jeffry: nope, what select path does is select the shortest logical path between 2 polygons in total disregard to the flow; what I'm looking for is something that selects a loop but in one direction...say I have a band of 10 polys numbered 1 to 10. If I select 5 and 6 and select loop it will select all of them. I want to select 5 and 6, and have 7, 8, 9, 10 selected leaving 1, 2, 3 and 4 unselected. It doesn't make much sense but I often find myself in that situation, select path screws up all the time, especially with symmetry on. Plus I have to zoom out and click twice...it's not adequate.

sampei
02-12-2011, 06:31 PM
got the script to work, really cool little idea there. Not what I was looking for, but definetely a great addition. Found what I was looking for (almost) in another script from the same author called "walk" loop. This basically adds one poly at a time from the second one selected on the band. If mapped to a shortcut it does the trick in no time, unfortunately it does not work with symmetry.
Never the less, many thanks to Tama for the fantastic free scripts.
I also realized that I can simply hide polygon 4 (see above) and use select loop :D

Now all I need is that bridge compatible with symmetry...

jeric_synergy
02-12-2011, 09:51 PM
@Jeffry: nope, what select path does is select the shortest logical path between 2 polygons in total disregard to the flow; what I'm looking for is something that selects a loop but in one direction...say I have a band of 10 polys numbered 1 to 10. If I select 5 and 6 and select loop it will select all of them. I want to select 5 and 6, and have 7, 8, 9, 10 selected leaving 1, 2, 3 and 4 unselected. It doesn't make much sense but I often find myself in that situation, select path screws up all the time, especially with symmetry on. Plus I have to zoom out and click twice...it's not adequate.
I can't imagine why such a thing would be handy BUT:

It shouldn't be hard to craft an LScript that would allow you to select 4&6 and do the desired function. Psuedocode would be:

{user selects "4" and "6"}
SELECT PATH //selects "5", "4","5" and "6" now selected
HIDE "4" //hide "4" if that's adequate to stopping the next step
SELECT LOOP //
UNHIDE "4"

wallah! You could call it "Short Loop"

JeffrySG
02-12-2011, 11:37 PM
@Danner: thanks a lot for the link, the script is coming up with an error when I load it though, I'll see if I can find the source.

ahh... I understand... but you could select 5 and 10 and use select path and it would work, right? you just don't like having to select 5 and 10. You want to select 5 and 6 and have it select in that direction only. And work with symmetry.

sampei
02-13-2011, 09:02 AM
well after a night of modeling I can scrap my last post.
Both "walk loop" and "step selects" don't work with symmetry and worst of all (for me) don't work with edges which is pretty much what I need this for. They're still pretty great but they could be amazing if expanded a little.
As for "select path" it often (I'd say 80% of times) messes up when in symmetry, as it calculates each single selection as two; therefore whenever the distance (in n of polys) between the selection and its negative twin is minor than the distance between the first and second selection, the tool of course selects the shortest path (between the original selection and it's twin). Note the tool messes up also when the opposite is true, so I really can't figure out what is going wrong.

@ jeric: thanks for contributing. I need it for spacing. I have absolute zero knowledge of scripting and have a really hard time trying to figure out the code you wrote, is it something I could compile into an Lscript and use with a shortcut?

@ Jeffry: exactly, because when 5 and 10 are 5 and 200 I have to zoom out, pan, carefully try and figure out that 200 is indeed on 5's row and select it from an uncomfortable distance since my current selection is 5 and I can't center my view on it. At times it can get quite tedious.

JeffrySG
02-13-2011, 11:07 AM
^I totally understand. :) And symmetry in modeler leaves a LOT to be desired. :(

jeric_synergy
02-13-2011, 01:13 PM
@ jeric: thanks for contributing. I need it for spacing. I have absolute zero knowledge of scripting and have a really hard time trying to figure out the code you wrote, is it something I could compile into an Lscript and use with a shortcut?
No, it's just pseudocode, which is like an outline. If you were to script it, you could certainly assign it to a button/hotkey.

OTOH, this is very simple scripting: perhaps if you post over in the scripting forum someone might whip it up for you.

Could you post a screen grab showing how you'd use it? It's very possible there's a different way to accomplish what you're asking-- there often is.

EG: If you work in wireframe sometimes things are a lot easier than working in solid modes.

Kuzey
02-13-2011, 01:27 PM
Mmmm...I could be totally on the wrong path...but what about an Lscript that gives you an input panel and you enter the second value...instead of zooming all the way out and what not.

To recap, select polygon number 5 and then run the yet to be created Lscript, enter 200 into the request panel and polygons from 5 to 200 (on the same row) gets selected. Could work with points and edges too...but I have no idea how to code it :hey:

Kuzey

Danner
02-14-2011, 01:15 AM
Have you tried virtual mirror?

All tools should work in symetry

http://modelingpack.trueart.eu

sampei
02-14-2011, 01:44 PM
@ Jeffry: glad you undertand, and yeah...don't get me started on symmetry or the tools that ignore it.

@ jeric: hehe I really suck at explaining stuff, so to clarify I attached the selection I wish to make. With the tool would like you select 1, then 2 and automatically it runs after 2. With edges not even hiding the polygons that share 0 (marked in green) works, as edge selection ignores even hidden polys. I'm pretty sure there is no other way (except ctrlX cutting the aforementioned polys, but that would be an equal, if not greater, pain.

@ Kuzey: thanks for the input, but how do I know 200's label/number if not by zooming out, selecting it and opening up the stats panel? and 200 in theory is the end of the row, so I might as well select the one after the first selection (closest to 200) and it would crawl towards it. Snapshot should clarify what I mean, hopefully.

@ Danner: thanks for the link, I'd looked at it some time ago but, although it's a really cool idea, it's not what I'm looking for. I want to stay in true symmetry...plus it doesn't work with subdivision surfaces as Proton explains in the video.

jeric_synergy
02-14-2011, 11:24 PM
Well, ok, I guess that would be... useful occasionally. So hard to know.

You know you can convert a Point selection to an Edge selection? I mapped "Sel Switch" to "Alt+G" and it will switch a selection set thru all possible combos in order. However, if you get just one line of Edges, it maps to no polys, so that maps to no points. Still, I find it useful a lot.

So, gonna attempt that script???

sampei
02-15-2011, 08:06 AM
glad you get it ^^ yes I knew about the selection switch, as a matter of fact last night I discovered a quick workaround for the bridge/symmetry thing I was asking for: select the 2 edges that I want to bridge, switch to point mode (I've mapped it on alt-P) and P to make poly! I was sure I had tried that already and that it wouldn't work, but worked every time in symmetry.
Found out another thing, I'm getting so many crashes lately, but modeler still remains semi conscious even after the crash message. If I save an increment, accept the crash and re-open the object, modeler crashes instantly. However if I save the object as LW 6 (or something similar, can't remember) the currently active layer is saved in an uncorrupted file. A quick way to salvage a crash (and yeah I know about the hub's autosave, just never used it plus it might be off).
About the script I've emailed some of the big names with my idea :)