PDA

View Full Version : How to displace position of a Null using animated displacements?

Sculley
02-12-2011, 08:24 AM
I need to have nulls move in relation to a displaced mesh. Sticky is not a posibility. Older LW used to allow displacements on Nulls but this seems to be broken.

Anyways around this?

Stephen

nickdigital
02-12-2011, 09:51 AM
Maybe the Node Motion motion modifier in DPKit will do what you want.

See if this thread helps.
http://newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96703&highlight=floater

dwburman
02-12-2011, 04:37 PM
If you displaced the object with a textured displacement could copy/paste the texture to a textured channel motion modifier on the null. (Textured Motion in the Motion Option Panel - Textured Channel in the Graph Editor )

3DGFXStudios
02-12-2011, 05:15 PM
It's true what they say :D

You can also constrain a null using cloth dynamics but that's only an option it the above mentioned stuff doesn't work for you.

Ztreem
02-14-2011, 12:15 PM
The Anchor motion modifier can also be an option if you have an UV map on your object.

Sculley
02-20-2011, 11:02 AM
I decided in the en to give up in that direction of trying to get the displacement values... I wrote a new displacement LScript to do the same displacements directly as I needed... and then used the same math/technique with in a motion lscript to control the null.... simples :D

My main problem was the displacement has to update and change every frame dynamicly.. and objects had to move as a result... Sticky wouldn't work because some of the motion was too complex so it just jumps about too much... this way took an extra day and a bit of re-rigging but now it works and is silky smooth.

Only issue i do need to sort is how to convert a world position value to the objects local position value... using LScript. Other than that.. il put some links up later as i get on.