PDA

View Full Version : Problem getting position value of point from a displaced object?

Sculley
02-12-2011, 07:55 AM
Is it possible to get the position of a point at a specific time in Layout from a displaced model.

... I have a grid of points in an object, in layout those points are displaced my moving texture (bti like ocean water). What I need is LScript to be able to access the points as they have been deformed at a specific time. I can access and process the object but it always returns the non-deformed grid.

I have been trying to find an approach to this and cant seem to find any documentation for it if it is possible.

Help is much appreciated.

Stephen

Matt
02-12-2011, 08:50 AM
I could be wrong, but I'm not sure it's possible.

Sculley
02-12-2011, 09:03 AM
Hmm.. any ideas if its possible to displace a null by the same animated displacement in Y axis? I know since 7 the easiest way is broken :(

I would use sticky except it is to unstable and jumps/jitters and a null controlled directly by the displacement seems much cleaner.

This seems a simple problem i just cant seem to figure how to get it to work.

Many thanx

Stephen

UnCommonGrafx
02-12-2011, 11:29 AM
hmmm...
A thought:
an mdd scan would contain this information? If so, then a query to said mdd might get you what you seek.
Another thought is by doing it with clothfx and editfx: Calculate and use the editfx info to process as needed.

TripD
02-13-2011, 07:54 PM
A painful workaround maybe: save xformed object for frame in question, to get data in modeler?

Sculley
02-16-2011, 01:11 PM
Am just finding it a pain which ever approach im trying.. oh well.. il keep trying :D

dpont
02-16-2011, 02:55 PM
You could try the Point Info node from DP Kit
in the Item Motion node editor, it is a bit unaccurate
in preview but should work properly in render,
you can get world position and normal
given a point index.

Denis.