PDA

View Full Version : Lot of tiny holes

Tony3d
02-11-2011, 06:30 PM
Hi all, I need to make a speaker grill with lots of tiny hole. I thought I'd use the dots texture in the color, and transparency channels, but I can't get the dots to cover the slightly curved grill. The attached image is similar to what I have to do. Any suggestions?

nickdigital
02-11-2011, 06:39 PM
You could map your dots down the Y axis for the curved part.

Or uv unwrap the area that needs the dots and just scale up your UV over a tiling image map.

Tony3d
02-11-2011, 07:02 PM
You could map your dots down the Y axis for the curved part.

Or uv unwrap the area that needs the dots and just scale up your UV over a tiling image map.

Did it with honeycomb. Looks good. this is just basic test geometry.

dwburman
02-11-2011, 11:59 PM
An old trick is to flatten the mesh out and then use a morph to bend it back into shape. That way the texture is applied to the flat surface and bent with geometry.

Tony3d
02-12-2011, 07:27 AM
An old trick is to flatten the mesh out and then use a morph to bend it back into shape. That way the texture is applied to the flat surface and bent with geometry.

Interesting approach. Some how the honeycomb seems to look pretty good.

Pixelight
04-23-2011, 02:34 PM
Did it with honeycomb. Looks good. this is just basic test geometry.

Hey, this is what I'm trying to do at the moment, a honeycomb grill. How did you got about doing that? Thanks.

Tony3d
04-23-2011, 03:38 PM
Hey, this is what I'm trying to do at the moment, a honeycomb grill. How did you got about doing that? Thanks.

I just used the procedural honeycomb texture in the transparency channel.

Pixelight
04-23-2011, 03:46 PM
I just used the procedural honeycomb texture in the transparency channel.

Thanks.

They way I'm doing it is using the Honeycomb 3D texture in the Node Editor also plugged in the transparent channel. Overkill?

Tony3d
04-23-2011, 03:55 PM
If that works for you, that should be fine. I was able to get just the look I wanted.

Pixelight
04-23-2011, 03:58 PM
If that works for you, that should be fine. I was able to get just the look I wanted.

Yeah. Besides I'm not sure it makes much of a difference at all. Although it says 3D it is still just a texture and not geometry. Just probably 2 ways to get the same thing.

wrench
04-23-2011, 04:31 PM
It's 3D just because the honeycomb is in 3 dimensions, rather than just an image, which would be in two. It doesn't mean it adds three dimensional detail to your geometry.

B