PDA

View Full Version : Graphic Card Recomendations

HUTCHISONHATCH
09-30-2003, 11:52 AM
Can anyone out there make a recomendation as to which of the many graphics cards works best with Lightwave?

I am currently running a Gainward card with the NVIDIA TI-4600 chipset with 128mb of ram. I have had it in two different computers with different chipsets and operating systems and experienced the same problems in both with the "perspective window" in Modeler. As I go to move objects within that window they will get stuck rotating on only one axis.

Currently, I am running the Intel 865 chipset (hyperthreading activated), P-4 3g. processor, 1gb ram, windows XP pro.

There is a confusing array of cards on the market with specs and prices that change daily. I am hoping that someone out there can make some recomendations based upon personal experience.

Thanks!

Mylenium
09-30-2003, 12:04 PM
I don't think the problems relate to the graphics card itself. Try downloading some newer drivers from NVidia this may fix any oddities.

Mylenium

HUTCHISONHATCH
09-30-2003, 12:24 PM
Newest drivers have been installed as well as all of the latest updates to Windows!

webnel
09-30-2003, 12:34 PM
Hopefully this card works well for LW - nVidiaŽ Quadro FX500 128MB DDR2 AGP-8x. Anyone have it? I've read pretty good things about it and have one on order.

HUTCHISONHATCH
10-01-2003, 09:16 AM
Having just gotten off the phone with 3d Labs (they have been extrodinarily good to me in the past) I have come away with the impression that the problem could be with the fact that although my Gainward card sports the NVIDIA TI-4600 chip set, the card was really designed for games. Be that as it may, the focus in designing such a card apparently is on "fill-rate" or how fast the graphics engine can fill up the entire screen with the next image. Additionally, this is done using "Direct-X" protocol as well as with architecture that is designed around that task. I am told that Lightwave on the other hand makes extensive use of "open-GL" protocol and therefore has some issues in dealing with "Direct-X". I was also told that cards designed for use with both CAD and 3D applications focused more on creating and moving "pixel-perfect" images while maintaining the visual integrity of surfaces and textures.

3D labs has made some specific recomendations to me and offered to let me take one of their cards on a test drive (through my dealer). So I guess I will be subjecting the situation to the "acid-test" and hopefully put it to rest once and for all.

Anyone out there have any additional thoughts?

Bigboy
10-02-2003, 07:41 AM
This isn't a graphics card problem. (saying that it works with games, or other 3D apps that is...)

The kind of problems that relate to graphics cards are very visual things. Corruption, crashes, rendering speed etc.

What it sounds like is the old "gimble" lock thing.... But Im assuming its not. But it does sound like lightwave isnt working right. How do you rotate? Using ALT, or using the rotation icon?

Have you tried disabling the hyperthreding etc...