PDA

View Full Version : Vue9 Infinite

millsron
02-11-2011, 12:52 PM
Hi

I had originally thought that I was going to purchase a version of Vue 9 complete. After much comparisons,etc including feedback on this site, I decided to go one step higher and get Vue 9 Infinite. I received it last night and will let you know my impressions as I go through it.

Thanks for the help
Ron

Paul24
02-11-2011, 01:50 PM
Yes please let us know.
I have Vue Infinite 5 and don't use it very much but thinking to upgrade either to Vue 9 Infinite or Complete. Not sure between the two..!
Complete seems to have everything a hobbyist like me needs although Infinite and Xtreme are much better but so expensive. What do you think...????
:lightwave

jrandom
02-13-2011, 11:49 AM
So far I'm finding Vue 9 to be much more stable than 8 (has only crashed twice over several days instead of every several minutes), the multi-material painting has been greatly improved (more than two materials! yay!), and finally getting 64-bit for mac is nice.

millsron
02-13-2011, 01:01 PM
Jrandom,

I would agree with the stability comments although I have had a couple of crashes. I am using the 64 bit window version. I was able to render a demo scene that had 4.5 trillion(yes, trillion) polygons and got a fantastic picture for the trouble. I'll try to rerender and post on this thread.

Ron

jrandom
02-13-2011, 02:36 PM
I just realized: if you switch your primary drive over to an SSD you can render even larger scenes because hard drive swapping becomes much less of a performance hit.

millsron
02-13-2011, 05:22 PM
A couple of renders. The first is about 690 million polys. The secound is about 2.1 trillion polys. Render time on a I7 920 is about 15-20 minutes.

Ron

jrandom
02-13-2011, 05:37 PM
A couple of renders. The first is about 690 million polys. The secound is about 2.1 trillion polys. Render time on a I7 920 is about 15-20 minutes.

Ron

Are those procedural terrains? Regular or displacement materials?

millsron
02-13-2011, 06:16 PM
JRandom

I'll have to check. These are part of the package. I didn't do them from scratch. BTW here's another one. This one at 3.145 trillion polys.

BTW in the lower right hand of the screen, the polys are listed. I find this to be a really nice feature to have this info without having to hunt for it.

Ron

Jr, I checked and the other pictures are procedural. They start showing a low count of polys and then convert to the high number I mentioned above. The picture on this post is modeled as a true 3.14 trillion polys, apparently through the terrain editor+ vegetation add ons.

So in answer to your question, some of both.

millsron
02-15-2011, 12:41 PM
I did find that the polygon count lsted in the lower right corner is an "estimate" of what the poly count would be if modeled in a standard modeler. So, given that, Vue either uses a totally procedural approach or at best a combination with a heavy emphasis on the procedural approach.

Ron