PDA

View Full Version : "Unify Normals" = "Align"??

jeric_synergy
02-10-2011, 07:12 PM
Went looking for "Align".... has it been replaced by "Unify Normals"??

JeffrySG
02-10-2011, 08:03 PM
I think that UN is the new way but not sure if Align is still there in 10. I think they were both in 9.6. You could search for align in the menu edit if you can't find it.

jeric_synergy
02-10-2011, 10:09 PM
It's still there, just not assigned to a button.

The documentation is a hack job that half the time refers to Unify, half to Align. AFAICT, Unify does the same thing as Align, although maybe a bit better (less confused by geometry), maybe not.

kopperdrake
02-11-2011, 04:57 AM
Glad someone else asked this - I've been using Unify Normals to align polys, with no recollection of ever having used it before in the past 16 years. I thought maybe senility was setting in...

jeric_synergy
02-11-2011, 10:01 AM
"Unify Normals" is a kinda crap name too, since it's easily confused with plain old "Unify" (full name "Unify Polygons").

Red_Oddity
02-11-2011, 04:09 PM
Actually, it makes more literary sense then align...align what to what?
Unify normals does what the words imply, it unifies the direction the normals are facing.

I know, an argument for arguments sake, but still, for newcomers it might make more sense.

jeric_synergy
02-11-2011, 04:30 PM
Aligns to the other polys' normals. Align makes more sense because "unify" means to bring together, and you are not unifying normals, you are aligning them with each other.

"Unify Polygon", on the other hand, makes perfect sense: you are making one polygon out of two. QED.

So, that's two reasons it's a crap name.