PDA

View Full Version : AVI colorspace problem

magendim
02-28-2003, 01:25 PM
Hello,

We’re capturing video as YUV and YUY uncompressed AVIs via component input from BetaSP. When I play these back within media player, the coloring is way off and sort of posterized, the way video playback on the computer would look if the video card was set to 256 colors (it's set to highest, 32bit). If I change the preferences to play back on the NTSC monitor, instead of the VGA monitor, the colors look fine. The colors also look good during the capture on toastervision and the composite NTSC monitor. I've tried the capture from both Main In and Program out with no difference. It is not just a display problem, the color problem stays through with any file conversion (ie to Mpeg/DVD) Seems like the colorspace conversion is messed up. System is Win2000 SP2, DX8.1, Radeon 64MB DDR video card, latest Toasterb build.

On a related note, We're beta testing Bob T's Premeire Toaster plugin. When I capture directly in Premeire, the color looks fine and any exported files look good, so it seems to point to some Toaster software issue. We are having problems with audio and dropped frames using premeire, so that's not practical to use at this time

Anybody got any insight into this? It's got us dead in the water...

Thanks,
Mike

SBowie
02-28-2003, 03:03 PM
Since output through the various Toaster i/o avenues is OK, it sounds like you may need to mess around in the Windows Media Player Tools>Options>Performance settings.

magendim
02-28-2003, 03:25 PM
It doesn't appear to be a media player/display problem. It's some type color space issue with the AVI itself. If I convert the AVI to Mpeg and write out the MPEG to a DVD disc, the coloring of the DVD video on an NTSC player or another PC retains the same color issue.

If it was just a display/media player problem, it shouldn't transfer to other transcoded media types. It's possible it's a MS codec/directX issue, but I don't know the underlying architecture of the toaster and how it's doing the colorspace conversion from YUV to RGB. The whole thing is very puzzling...

Mike

KiteGlider
02-28-2003, 03:33 PM
HI Mike,

Same problems with YUV for me.

I use VT2 to edit and composite animation and video, then my output is uncompressed AVI which gets turned into Mpg and Quicktime.

As I understand, YUV is only 16bit.

I use Uncompressed BGR24 and the results are predictable.

KG

SBowie
02-28-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by magendim
If I convert the AVI to Mpeg and write out the MPEG to a DVD disc, the coloring of the DVD video on an NTSC player or another PC retains the same color issue.
That IS weird...

If it was just a display/media player problem, it shouldn't transfer to other transcoded media types.
Agreed.

It's possible it's a MS codec/directX issue, but I don't know the underlying architecture of the toaster and how it's doing the colorspace conversion from YUV to RGB.
Does the issue show up when a given "affected" AVI is loaded into Aura?

magendim
02-28-2003, 04:44 PM
Tried all the uncompressed formats, YUV & RGB, same problem. Also tried RTV uncompressed and rendered to AVI, still no good. No difference when loading to Aura.

Seems Toaster may have some kind of bug???

Mike