PDA

View Full Version : What was your longest day?

dandeentremont
02-10-2011, 02:23 PM
It's story time!

The longest day I ever worked so far was 23 hours on the last day of this "Lord of the Rings: War in the North" trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTVsNA_4O2g

Now, I ask the community: what was your longest day ever (or similar ridiculous-hour adventure)?

Titus
02-10-2011, 02:29 PM
I already had a 24 hour long work day this week.

Titus
02-10-2011, 02:57 PM
In college I was part of the movie club. We organized a yearly movie marathon (24 hours). I was awake for more than 36 hours.

3D Kiwi
02-10-2011, 03:15 PM
Worked from 8am one morning till 7am the next morning. Went home to take the wife to the trainstation and back to work till 2pm that day.

Lightwolf
02-10-2011, 03:26 PM
That must have been around 72... but I think I napped off for 30 minutes each twice...

I've certainly had my share of 48hours though, I did a couple of them.
And still at least one all-nighter per year :(

I don't recommend it.

Cheers,
Mike

Jim_C
02-10-2011, 03:31 PM
9am Sat - 9pm Sun

Not planned. Major scheduling screw ups and lack of communication with the venue caused it. No sleep. Turned out no extra pay either.

Once you get past the night of no sleep and a few hours into the next day something in your body kicks in and you just feel more zombified than tired. But that 4am to 9am or so was BRUTAL

Lightwolf
02-10-2011, 03:39 PM
But that 4am to 9am or so was BRUTAL
7-9 is where it always gets me... after that it's usually fine until the afternoon.

Cheers,
Mike

zarti
02-10-2011, 03:57 PM
yes , for me there was a hour , ... a hour when i thought i had 'all the right' to sleep even at that point where the axis of a crossroad meet each other ... |(

anyway , in my perceptions , i suspect that 'the famous hour' might be connected with 2 things :
1- the hour when 'the others' start to wake up
2- the hour when the sun rises

the second 'doubt' is more applaud-able maybe because the brain says " you are a creature of the night , so time to go to bed ... " =)

anyway guys , the last one i remember was 3 years ago .

and ... :caffeine: i wish that :caffeine: to nobody !

:caffeine:

JonW
02-10-2011, 05:56 PM
Building a physical architectural model years ago.

70 hours first week.
70 hours second week.
132 hours the third week, with the last 48 hours straight through.

Never again, it took about 3 months to fully recover.

faulknermano
02-10-2011, 06:40 PM
50 or so hours, twice: once related to CG, to other a graphic design job. Unpleasant; riding a crazy Philippine bus like a zombie, standing up due to no seats being available: not ever again, I hope.

But the worst is the long kind: nine-months, television show, six-and-a-half day weeks consistently, between 3-6 hours of sleep. Slept most of that time in the office. Good at first, but then the next nine-month series came along... then another... Oh well! That's the past, thank God!

faulknermano
02-10-2011, 06:42 PM
7-9 is where it always gets me... after that it's usually fine until the afternoon.

Cheers,
Mike

For me the hardest part is between 11pm til 2pm. If I get past that I'll cruise until 7pm.

PIZAZZ
02-10-2011, 07:58 PM
Had a long one of 32 hours with 26 of that being a Live Poker broadcast. The worst part was loading out for 4 hours after that 26 hour straight broadcast.

Lamont
02-10-2011, 08:19 PM
If I close the curtains and black out the windows, 40 hours easy.

digefxgrp
02-10-2011, 10:25 PM
Back in '89 I went seven days with only two hours of sleep on the tail-end of a project for National Geographic. The shot was a two minute "hand-animated" sequence that had to be done in one continuous take with no time available for editing. I was shooting the job motion control on an Oxberry Animation Stand.

I started the shoot at around 8:30 pm on a Sunday and finally got it in the can the following Friday afternoon. Normally it would have been a 30 hour shoot, but there was a building power failure about 10 hours into it, so artwork had to be re-built and I had to start over...then that Wednesday the MC computer had a glitch, so again I had to go back and start over.

To make matters worse, since I missed the final Friday film run at my local lab in Portland, Or, I had to arrange a special evening run up in Seattle. So after I wrapped, I did a 3 hour drive up north to get the film processed and had to immediately drive back to hand off the job to the client at the airport before he flew back to Washington DC.

In '96, my business partner and I also did a straight six-day stretch (Tuesday-to-Monday) on a project for Electric Lightwave. We had to provide content for one of their live internet broadcasts. Unfortunately these people held off until the last possible minute to decide on whether or not to do the project, so instead of having a month for production like we planned...we had 6 days.
We did get paid very well for that job though...and while it hurt physically, it was killer for the bank account.

akademus
02-11-2011, 02:36 AM
Spent the whole day, been drinking all night until 7 am that night, boarded bus home, rode 18 hours and i couldn't wink during the ride, got back home early morning, spent the hole day up on the feet, went drinking the same night, got back home 4 am and crushed.

So like 44 hours...

And I slept 18 hours stretch afterwards :)

I was 21 then, no way I could do it now...

vector
02-11-2011, 02:51 AM
Forty seven hours: ending a movie. Last 24 hours just a pizza and a few cookies... and water, a lot of water... over my head :)

When I finished, I donīt know how I could reach my house driving

I donīt recommend it

Vector

wjo53
02-11-2011, 05:27 AM
Building a physical architectural model years ago.

70 hours first week.
70 hours second week.
132 hours the third week, with the last 48 hours straight through.

Never again, it took about 3 months to fully recover.

LOL I know that feeling. I worked on one where, in the last 5 days of building it, I was a the office 102 hours. Delivered the model, went to get a pizza for dinner, and fell asleep on the bench while waiting for it.

I never want to build another.

Maxx
02-11-2011, 07:18 AM
Went 72 straight hours building, surfacing, lighting, and rendering every product in a 32-page catalog. Then I had to physically lay out and build said catalog. All without sleep.

The hardest hours for me are from about 3:00am to 6:00am. Of course, after about the 48-hour mark, the hardest hour to get through is the next one...

GandB
02-11-2011, 01:26 PM
28-hour convoy from Camp Pennsylvania (Kuwait), to our post in Al-Kut (Iraq). We stopped occasionally; but never to sleep. This was back in 2003; they hadn't quite taken Baghdad yet. We later made the trip frequently in about 8 hours...not sure what the other 20 were for the first time!

OK; it's not CG related, but try staying up 28 hours not knowing what's coming at you around the next bend, or in the next town! ;)

-Keith

Andyjaggy
02-11-2011, 02:30 PM
I doubt the effectiveness of going 24 hours without sleep (let alone 48+). I think most people would actually get more done in the same amount of time if they took a break for 2-3 hours and got some rest.

dandeentremont
02-11-2011, 06:08 PM
You know what this thread reminds me of?

The scene in Jaws where everyone is comparing their scars.

Danner
02-11-2011, 07:23 PM
my scars

5 days straight, sleeping 20 minutes each day. I was so tired when we finished I didn't even have the strenght to go home, I slept for 15 hours straigt in a closset in the office.
At least I got to see A LOT of air time on that tv spot.

Had two crashes driving home from all-nighters the following years.
I slept at the wheel on one, the other wasn't my falut.. but I would have avoided it if I had been fully awake.

I avoid those work crunches now that I'm old. But I'm working this whole weekend.. =(

JonW
02-11-2011, 09:06 PM
I doubt the effectiveness of going 24 hours without sleep (let alone 48+). I think most people would actually get more done in the same amount of time if they took a break for 2-3 hours and got some rest.

Agree!

You get into a state & you think you are working efficiently, but in fact if you look back you realise that you produced next to nothing. Best to put an alarm clock on & have a sleep for 90 minutes. Or 2 x 90 minutes if you can force yourself to do it. Then you will actually be producing more!

faulknermano
02-12-2011, 01:28 AM
Agree!

You get into a state & you think you are working efficiently, but in fact if you look back you realise that you produced next to nothing. Best to put an alarm clock on & have a sleep for 90 minutes. Or 2 x 90 minutes if you can force yourself to do it. Then you will actually be producing more!

+1. One of my requests was to get a cot beside my desk, actually. Of course that never got approved, but since we were expected to sleep in the office, we had our sleeping bags / mats. When overtime came around I'd spread out the mat and get me as much rest in between waiting for a sim or render to finish. I even positioned myself so that I could peek with one eye to see and see the progress bar. :)

Cageman
02-12-2011, 03:22 AM
It's story time!

The longest day I ever worked so far was 23 hours on the last day of this "Lord of the Rings: War in the North" trailer.

How much time did you guys have to create that trailer?

The longest I've worked for is probably around 25-30 hours or so without sleep. Hopefully it will not happen again, because it doesn't add to the quality of what you are doing, it reduces it.

*Pete*
02-12-2011, 04:12 AM
i had 30 hours of physically hard, manual labour...working with deconstruction with a tight deadline, after that i had 6-7 hours of rest and then 17 hours of hard work before i was done.

i couldnt move out of the sofa for a week after that...my back was ruined, but hey..it was worth it, it gives bragging-rights.

JBT27
02-12-2011, 04:14 AM
Ten days ago - a 48hrs day.

True - irrespective of how good you think you are, you do alot better awake and rested than in a 'day' like that. These all-nighters are because we have to, but they're stupid and you end up wondering how you couldn't have fitted more of that into previous days so it doesn't happen in the first place ... probably too busy doing other high-pressure low-paid stuff :D

Julian.

Captain Obvious
02-12-2011, 04:53 AM
Longest for me would probably be... non-stop (not even a nap) from monday morning to wednesday morning.

cresshead
02-12-2011, 05:04 AM
long days make me ill so i avoid them like spiders!

Jim_C
02-12-2011, 11:04 AM
Does drug induced count?

http://www.sternfannetwork.com/forum/images/smilies/Animations/scardie-pants.gif

IMI
02-12-2011, 03:27 PM
Does drug induced count?

http://www.sternfannetwork.com/forum/images/smilies/Animations/scardie-pants.gif

I was going to add my story but I think I have to wait for the answer to this question first. ;)

borkus
02-12-2011, 09:53 PM
Hey, we all had to do what we had to do in some situations... I know of one pocket of my life I would rather not repeat again. Nothing to do with CG. Manual labor and I had to use "alternative" measures to overcome my body's natural tendency towards sleep. Not proud of it, but I got the job done and the people that mattered were impressed. This opened up doors for me down the road so all was not lost. As a side note, I haven't had to repeat that incident for many years and I would like to keep it that way. I fully understand that sometimes there is no way around it. But, at my age now I can't take such abuse and will leave it to the younger crowd...

meshpig
02-13-2011, 02:09 AM
I once was stupid enough, (about 35 years ago) to have been "drafted" to pick grapes way out west.

The agency paid for the train ticket... :D In the searing heat set out on rows of vines which had been picked already about 4 times, thus it took about 30 minutes to fill a bucket where normally it would have taken about 2. The season was already over and the cost of the meagre lodgings left me with about enough for a beer and phone call at the end of the 80 hr week...

I mean it's a fact. You never make money busting your balls, you make money by busting someone else's.

dandeentremont
02-13-2011, 04:00 PM
How much time did you guys have to create that trailer?

The longest I've worked for is probably around 25-30 hours or so without sleep. Hopefully it will not happen again, because it doesn't add to the quality of what you are doing, it reduces it.

I'm not sure how long. I had dropped in near the end of the project, just as things were getting wacky (well, actually, I heard it was pretty wacky through the whole thing). I don't think my wife has ever come closer to divorcing me than that day :)

stiff paper
02-14-2011, 12:09 PM
Assuming that you mean "working day" as opposed to just "day", mine was back in about 1988. I was working in games and on Friday afternoon we had a game in-house that had to deliver on Monday morning. The trouble was, the programmer who'd spent months writing the whole thing was totally incompetent and it was just one giant, stupid bug.

We sent the programmer home and then myself and another guy spent from Friday afternoon through to midnight on Saturday debugging it and rewriting bits so they'd work. We got a couple hours sleep each on Saturday night, on the floor under the desks, and then carried on until midnight Sunday.

It did ship on Monday morning.

shrox
02-14-2011, 12:41 PM
At Rainbow, Maxis and Sega I did several 30+ hours days...but it is fun in a way.

DanD
02-14-2011, 01:54 PM
36 hours in a row doing CGI effects shots for a bad SciFi B movie back in the mid 90's. We only had 2 100 mhz computers and one would finish rendering just when I wanted to go home. I couldn't leave the one machine not doing anything, so I had to stay and crank out another scene and get it rendering before I went home. Not fun. To get an idea of how I felt, you should watch the Ren and Stimpy episode when they join the army and don't get any sleep during basic training. Listen for the sound effect they use when the drill sergeant wakes them up.... that's exactly what I was hearing.

stiff paper
02-14-2011, 02:01 PM
Does drug induced count?

Only if it's caffeine...

spherical
02-14-2011, 09:20 PM
I have a few categories of "longest days". How long is long, depends quite a bit on what you are doing.

My record so far is 138 hours while working a 3D model and related scenes. During this period, the standard "day" was about 42 hours; pulling a standard work week in one sitting before getting any sleep at all. Then, it would only be four hours or less. This went on every two days for weeks, so it's a bit difficult to quantify it as a whole.

Perhaps the more strenuous was while working for a racing team. 96 hours prior to and through an endurance race as Crew Chief. Car owner guaranteed an engine to another team when they blew their's up during practice and they took our engine out before we got to the track with the spare we brought from the shop for them. We arrived at the garage and there were parts and oil strewn all over the place. I was furious. People unsupervised messing with a dialed-in car. Put our spare in; finding stuff that they screwed up all along the way. Fixed it all and got to the grid with minutes to spare. Not surprisingly, less than half way into the race, they blew that engine up. We won. That's what it's all about.

Big difference in stress level and acuity; having to be spot-on or someone could be seriously injured, die or, at the very least, not win.

safetyman
02-15-2011, 05:21 AM
I pull at least one 24-30 hour shift every month. Been doing that for 7 years now.

archijam
02-15-2011, 07:04 AM
36 - 40 hours at the end of semester, several times in a row, every year for 5 years.

fArchitecture :D

Aegis
02-15-2011, 10:54 AM
'bout 72 hours - could barely remember my name or where I lived after that...

Dennik
02-15-2011, 11:08 AM
I did a few 24 hour stretches about 10 years ago.
Unfortunately, I'm so used to coffee that after a certain point it has no more effect on me than water. So working extra hours can only mean that at some point I'll just hit keys on the keyboard with my eyes staring nowhere, and destroy my scene without realizing it.

Kionel
02-15-2011, 02:42 PM
I have a bunch of 23 hour+ days in my past, but this event has always stick with me:

I worked as a writer / digital letterer / grayscale artist for a small North Dakota-based comic book company (yes, seriously) back in 1992. Right before a big comic convention I spent 22 hours straight getting a pre-release version of the company's first issue assembled to hand out. This was a 26 page comic, and -- due to our lead artist being behind schedule -- we had 18 pages to get together in one night.

That's bad enough, but consider this: This was 1992. That meant I was doing this all with a 486 DX 33 running CorelDRAW and CorelPaint on Win 3.1 running Norton Desktop for Windows. Every time I updated a single word balloon or caption box sent the system into a slow re-draw of the entire page.

I made it, though, with an hour to spare. Rather than sleep, I hopped into a car with the crew and headed down on a ninety minute drive to the convention to help represent the company. (Didn't sleep in the car, as we talked business the entire way.) Once on-site I lasted nine hours in the booth, answering questions, showing the pre-viz issue, and generally just trying to be upbeat. I have no idea how I did it.

Eventually, my body just said "Enough". I ended up sleeping on the floor behind our booth display for two hours to recharge a bit.

These days, I'm good for no more than 16 hours at a stretch. After that I just have to sleep. Getting old? It sucks.

calilifestyle
02-15-2011, 02:49 PM
I have to say "everyday is to long for me... but the years are just to short".

Lewis
02-15-2011, 03:00 PM
37 hours straight without sleep 2 times in same week :(. And then i said Never Ever agian (still respecting that decision for last 3 years) - I was extremely tire for next few days after that, couldn't get enough sleep even if i sleep for 10-12 hours next week 3 days in a row :).

pauland
02-15-2011, 06:14 PM
It might gain "macho-points" to put in these sleepless stints, but I suspect the effectiveness is rather poor in comparison with someone working over the same period but with some sleep during the period.

I know that when I am very tired my work effectiveness drops. Long periods without sleep? I don't see that it's something to boast about.

Andyjaggy
02-16-2011, 11:21 AM
I think most of us agree with that.

Part of the problem I think is that when you are in the sucks like that, even if you try to sleep you may not be able to. Your mind is so absorbed with what you are trying to get done you can't rest.

But yes I agree. 40 hours straight at 40% efficiency is less efficient than 30 hours at 80% efficiency with 10 hours of rest. Unless you are somehow superman and can operate at 100% efficiency for 40 hours. I sure can't though.

Lightwolf
02-16-2011, 11:38 AM
But yes I agree. 40 hours straight at 40% efficiency is less efficient than 30 hours at 80% efficiency with 10 hours of rest.
The problem is that this equation breaks down if you're in the phase of a project where waiting is involved. 5 minutes of waiting is five minutes... regardless of how efficient you'll be until you need to wait again.

Cheers,
Mike

Bona
02-16-2011, 11:31 PM
40 hours straight at 40% efficiency is less efficient than 30 hours at 80% efficiency with 10 hours of rest.

The problem is I could hardly sleep well to boost up the efficiency when the deadline is just 40 hours away.:devil:

My longest day was 55+ hours of magazine works before getting on a plane to vacation. All that I could recall was met up my wife, taxi to airport, enter zombie mode, and being revitalized in Italy.:D