PDA

View Full Version : Don't throw anything away, ever...

vanguard
09-30-2003, 09:46 AM
I luv the VT!

Over the last two days we have been editing a monster project with footage on nearly every major analog format (except VHS...).

2" Quadruplex, 1" Types B+C, 3/4, Betacam, BetaSP, MII, and SVHS-C.

The coolest part of the process is that the VT just takes 'em in and runs.

It would have taken hours to incorporate all the older formats (Quad,1", 3/4) and their associated TBCs into our other systems...

Now we just have sync generators on their racks (for their own internal/TBC timing issues) and their composite output just plugs right in...

Perfect.

Just roll the 1" machines in, plug one wire for video, a couple for audio into the SX-8 and blammo, ready to go.

(And air for the 2" deck)

Our next trick will be to get batch capture to work on the 2" deck (RCA TR-600), It already works on everything else!

It has rudimentary time-code-like signals as it was part of an old school quad editor set, so we'll see.

So all those times we were about to get rid of the old VPR-6 1" decks, and all their associated stuff, it all pays for itsself in one job.

Get a 3/4" deck, they are mighty useful, and are still in use all over the place.

So there you go, old or new the VT whips some serious butt.

Now how about that VT3 patch...

JReble
10-01-2003, 07:32 AM
Good God man! Never throw anything away? I guess. You should open a broadcasting museum at your place with some of the stuff you still have in use. Just remember, you have to weigh the costs of new equipment versus the hernia related medical expenses and high power bills generated by those old clunkers.

Jim Capillo
10-01-2003, 11:48 AM
That's nothing......

check out 'ole Chuckie boy - http://www.pharis-video.com/p21.htm

:D :rolleyes: :p

Rich Deustachio
10-01-2003, 12:02 PM
What Jim, no Trinities?

Jim Capillo
10-01-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Rich Deustachio
What Jim, no Trinities?

Hee,hee,hee........:p

Still got mine, Ted won't bite :rolleyes:

JReble
10-01-2003, 01:51 PM
Of course there are no Trinitys. It's a museum, not a house of horrors. :)

ted
10-01-2003, 06:19 PM
I'm still using mine. But I gotta admit, it's getting used less and less.

But just yesterday I had to do some revisions to some 2 year old spots. I nearly made more because I hung onto them then I would have made selling them.

I did recently sell off my old Pinnacle Prism which has been gathering dust for a couple years.

Thraddax
10-03-2003, 12:47 PM
Ok, now I don't feel so bad about having a Chyron RGU-2 in the garage. :)

dwburman
10-10-2003, 01:05 PM
heh, last month I saw a couple of MII deck s get auctioned off. One went for $30 and the other for $5.

Of course, not being an engineer, a home owner, posessor of any MII tapes or boater in need of an anchor, I didn't bother bidding.

:)

Jim Capillo
10-10-2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Thraddax
Ok, now I don't feel so bad about having a Chyron RGU-2 in the garage. :)

Ha! I've got a Chyron Chameleon in the rack..... still works!

MII ? Still have several decks (one of my cable clients has several thousand field tapes on MII) - they all work and I think they look as good or better than Beta SP. ;)

Scott Bates
10-10-2003, 09:52 PM
Somewhere around here I probably still have my first "CG". A little Panasonic unit with a B&W camera mounted at one end, a plastic frame at the other end to hold the hard copy (a piece of paper with writing on it) and a little knob so I could dial up any one of the eight basic colors as a background. It worked, but ........
:D