PDA

View Full Version : How to make a hard edge curve? help!

halley
02-10-2011, 10:39 AM
I donít do a lot of modeling in lightwave so please forgive this question:

I have two profile curves with the same points. The one on the right is made of multiple curves to get the hard edge and the one on the left is made of one curve.

Is it possible to get the same hard edge profile with one cure as the multiple cure profile in this example and if so how. Iím pretty sure you can. I have been racking my brains trying to figure it out and have no idea what terminology to use in order to look it up.

Thanks for any help

nickdigital
02-10-2011, 10:48 AM
You could try adding more points to where you want the corners. The idea is similar to adding more bandsaw cuts to tighten up an edge. It won't create perfect corners though but from afar it'll probably look right.

sandman300
02-10-2011, 10:51 AM
If you add points to the curve on both sides of the original points it will constrain the curve to closer to the other. the closer the new points are to the original the closer the curve will get.

Mind if I ask what your looking to do with this curve?

Edit: Doh, I type slow.

halley
02-10-2011, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the reply. I guess what I am asking is:
Isnít there a way to tell the points how the curve will be shaped like you can with most spline tools. I thought there was some way of doing it, like for example, when you smooth the aria where two splines join to make a softer curve using the smooth command.

nickdigital
02-10-2011, 11:04 AM
As far as I know the spline tools in Modeler are pretty limited. I don't know of any way to control the "weight" of a point on a spline.

There's this but I don't think this addresses your problem:
http://www.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/Bezier

halley
02-10-2011, 11:08 AM
Iím designing a gazebo with a metal roof and will be making some siding for it like in the photo. I was planning on making the curve then extruding the shape from it.

I can always do a work around if needed.

dwburman
02-10-2011, 11:24 AM
I think the smooth command is to smooth across two curves. In this instance I'd probably use a polygon instead of a curve though you would have some extra polygons to delete.

You could extrude the multi-curve object on the left in your first example. After the extrusion you can use "merge points" (m) and then use "Detail>Polygons>More>Unify Polys" which will eliminate polygons that share the same points (one polygon facing in and another facing out).

Also, since it's a gazebo, you could make your profile and use the lathe tool (shift-L) setting the Sides amount to 8 or however many sections you gazebo has.

halley
02-10-2011, 04:18 PM
I donít know if this is what you meant by using the Lathe tool, but it made me think. I just lathed the shape with 4 sides and then moved the point to the correct corners. It worked like a charm and the corner seems were perfect.

Not an exact answer to the question buy hey I learned something new today and that was the goal. I was trying to use Rail Extrude to get this result. Now I will look at the lathe tool differently

Like I said I donít get to do much modeling

Thanks all for the help

Aquarian
02-10-2011, 04:51 PM
You could create a poly instead of spline curves and use a fillet plugin, I use jettoFillet which is free and works pretty well...a little buggy but it works.

You could kill the polys after the fillet and create splines from the left over points, I attached some screenshots of the fillet. Also Bezier splines have control handles but once you drop the tool there is not a way to edit the curve again...it would be nice if we got some nicer spline tools with LW :)

Cheers,
Luke

dwburman
02-11-2011, 12:10 AM
Yup, that's what I meant. It's an old trick. :)

prometheus
02-11-2011, 10:28 AM
I think you should try the free pictrix_bezier curve, itīs awesome, good control handles overall, built in undo steps in the tool, and you can create curves that are sharp and/or smooth within the same curve without moving points to a double point position, the sharp edges consist of only one point.

The curves are split into multi curves if you select them, but they should
work with lathing and even lofting with cm_loft.

you also have all other goodies in pictrix bezier curve such as tube,polygon create, extend and extrude and very good constrain and snapping options.

Michael

NanoGator
02-11-2011, 10:39 AM
You could make it in multiple segments and still be able to extrude it.