PDA

View Full Version : February LightWave Newsletter

02-09-2011, 04:54 PM
Hi all,

Here's the announcement for the February LightWave Newsletter: http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1110548#post1110548

Discuss here.

Vanita

safetyman
02-10-2011, 05:12 AM
Not really a lot of info in there, just a "who's doing what with LW" newsletter. That's not bad, just would kinda like some more tips & tricks, or even an update on how CORE is coming. There was no mention of Williams FUNGOPLAY efforts, or his Roid Rabbit? Hmmm. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

lino.grandi
02-10-2011, 07:36 AM
Not really a lot of info in there, just a "who's doing what with LW" newsletter. That's not bad, just would kinda like some more tips & tricks, or even an update on how CORE is coming. There was no mention of Williams FUNGOPLAY efforts, or his Roid Rabbit? Hmmm. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

The Newsletter is not the right place for news about Core. The HardCore section of this forums has been created just for that. ;)

50one
02-10-2011, 08:52 AM
Hmmm, not trying to beat a dead horse, but there should be a dedicated person that does newsletter(cause it looks like made by someone on his knee in the very last time), yeah I know they're busy with CORE..., but I would really like to see something that makes me go "OH yeah! Now that's the reason I want to upgrade my v. 8"...Those promised videos or some nice update quarterly from the developers would be nice, let's hope they're better programmers than marketers:cat::D:D:D

speismonqui
02-10-2011, 09:52 AM
The Newsletter is not the right place for news about Core. The HardCore section of this forums has been created just for that. ;)

so... no more "free" info for non HC members?, I remember a few newsletter with CORE info

lino.grandi
02-10-2011, 10:08 AM
so... no more "free" info for non HC members?, I remember a few newsletter with CORE info

Knowing informations about LW10 and Core development should be a privilege for HC members only. After release it's a different story.

50one
02-10-2011, 10:17 AM
Knowing informations about LW10 and Core development should be a privilege for HC members only. After release it's a different story.

Yeah...but even tho I know how the Newtek works, I still don't get this veil of secrecy, after all that drama in 2009 with that website and other stuff and makin' people excited, I would really like to know what they're cookin', after all it's what build the confidence in the customer base, now it's more like the strategy of those dodgy people trying to sell you a fast car, that is there, somewhere, you just have to pay first, meh, can wait and pay additional amount if it's worth it.

ArtGoblin
02-10-2011, 12:37 PM
Well... all I know is it was one of the shortest and least exciting newsletter I've seen from Newtek in a long time. Very weird how it's so drab now, just when Lightwave 10 just came out, shouldn't there be some exciting news related to LW10's release, or training products or tips&tricks, reviews or whatever-related to what people have been waiting for aaaaall this time... ohh no, wait... that was CORE, CORE was the thing that everyone has been waiting for, since I'm not buying my way in to the Hardcoreclub, all I know is that so far LW10 isn't worth the upgrade from the 9x versions, and I think CORE was the thing everyone was waiting for, but no one knows much about it except for the info you have allready released to us general-public, so what's stopping you from releasing some more info with your newsletters now? why all of a sudden excouse yourself behind the HC club, as I don't doubt for a second that they are really missing out on any info regarding CORE, so I don't really think they'll be crying out "treason!" if you'd tell us something a little extra

MAUROCOR
02-10-2011, 12:49 PM
One thing I noticed is that Lightwave Gallery is not been updated with the picture of the month since last december when I had a work of mine chosen there. I donīt see a point choosing a picture of the month but not showing it in the galery.
I miss the Deacon doing this kind of things. Is he not working at Newtek anymore?

About the february newsletter: I loved Tanqueray Skull Splash! Congrats!

inquisitive
02-11-2011, 01:27 AM
newsletter doesnt display correctly under ie8 (for the last couple of issues including this one).

colkai
02-11-2011, 03:33 AM
Yeah...but even tho I know how the Newtek works, I still don't get this veil of secrecy, after all that drama in 2009 with that website and other stuff and makin' people excited, I would really like to know what they're cookin'
I get the feeling things are not going as planned, so they've clammed up to avoid another embarrassing "this is the future..oh wait, no left turn...hang on, take a right here.. ahh sod it let's go back home" situation. :p

No info means they can't be held accountable for things said that fail / never come to pass. Frustrating, but then, given the alternatives we've seen over the last 2 years, frankly, it's the better option.
Regardless of the impact it may have on the perceived state of the future of CORE, it's better they hold off anything public until there is something WORTHY of showing.
IMHO, that is a long, long way off.

lardbros
02-11-2011, 05:32 AM
Where has The Deacon gone?? He didn't last very long did he?? I think the newsletters were best when they were done by Ben Vost... they were very well written and quite lengthy... things have changed since he's left these parts! :(

lardbros
02-11-2011, 05:40 AM
In fact, The Deacon hasn't even logged in since the 30th of December!! Is this why Newtek's marketing has gone down the swanny in 2011?

Kuzey
02-11-2011, 05:46 AM
In fact, The Deacon hasn't even logged in since the 30th of December!! Is this why Newtek's marketing has gone down the swanny in 2011?

He has moved to bigger and better places...a little NT bird told me and they haven't replaced him yet...hence the near bare newsletter:

Not one from the list below got a mention...posted in the Dec newsletter thread...oh well.

1 JeffrySG training
2 CG-Masters.com training
3 Kevman3d training
4 free model from William & rigged by Kurt
5 my metal library (offer extended to Sunday 6th, February 2011)
6 LightKeys
7 3djunkies.net

Kuzey

lardbros
02-11-2011, 06:07 AM
He has moved to bigger and better places...a little NT bird told me and they haven't replaced him yet...hence the near bare newsletter:

Not one from the list below got a mention...posted in the Dec newsletter thread...oh well.

Kuzey

Nice plug :D

"my metal library (offer extended to Sunday 6th, February 2011)"

Shame he's moved on already... their staff turnaround must be quite high at the moment. They need a new marketing-type blokey pretty sharpish!! It's their worst area by FAR... it can't be ignored hoping it'll go away like it used to for years!! Hope they get onto this NOW!!!!

Kuzey
02-11-2011, 06:15 AM
Nice plug :D

"my metal library (offer extended to Sunday 6th, February 2011)"

Shame he's moved on already... their staff turnaround must be quite high at the moment. They need a new marketing-type blokey pretty sharpish!! It's their worst area by FAR... it can't be ignored hoping it'll go away like it used to for years!! Hope they get onto this NOW!!!!

Haha...I was just trying to help out Newtek...not to miss anything for the newsletter :D

Yes...they are looking hard for a replacement and I hope they find someone as good. It's why the 10/10/10 promo didn't work out as well...because Deacon left just after the start of that...I believe.

Kuzey

lardbros
02-11-2011, 06:24 AM
Oh bugger! He couldn't have been there even 3 months! It's a shame that people don't hang on at newtek... just hope Rob P is in it for the long haul too, otherwise they are going to be in trouble.

Jonas has left the team too hasn't he... apparently gone to UBISoft.... ah well, hope things look up in future!

Oh, and your presets look ace by the way, was having a look the other day! (I know, looking isn't good enough... i might purchase in due course, as Lightwave's presets are a good 10 years old! :) )

Kuzey
02-11-2011, 06:34 AM

That's the first time I heard of Jonas leaving.

Newtek just needs to get into a nice groove and things should change for the better.

Kuzey

wrench
02-11-2011, 05:20 PM
Where has The Deacon gone?? He didn't last very long did he?? I think the newsletters were best when they were done by Ben Vost... they were very well written and quite lengthy... things have changed since he's left these parts! :(

Dave told me he is working in Hollywood on film conversions to 3D when I spoke to him and I'm still here, no longer using the BeeVee moniker though.

B

GandB
02-11-2011, 11:10 PM
That's the kind of thing/attitude that left a bad taste in my mouth (and continues to), and kept me from upgrading. That and the way the whole thing was rolled out (insert beating of dead horse here) initially.

lardbros
02-12-2011, 02:04 AM
Dave told me he is working in Hollywood on film conversions to 3D when I spoke to him and I'm still here, no longer using the BeeVee moniker though.

B

Oh, I know you're still here, but you don't do the Lightwave newsletter anymore do you? Will you be going to Siggraph this year?

IMI
02-12-2011, 03:36 PM
Well the Skull Splash feature is really cool. Although the transitions seem a little too harsh in some places, not as smooth as I would expect.
That's what I thought the other day when I watched it. I can't even get it to load right now, it just stalls halfway through. Kinda like Core in a way. ;)

Well add me to the list of people who are surprised that there's no real mention of LW 10 features, which to me seems very strange since it's brand new and I would think the newsletters for months after a new release would be filled with new product information.

Simply highlighting the successes other people have with LW doesn't really do much these days. We all know LW is an awesome app in the right hands, but I think most people would prefer to hear what LW 10 can do for US, not what it's done for others.

OnlineRender
02-12-2011, 03:41 PM
Grr ,change the forums , make registration easier ,fix bugs grrr buy Autodesk ....grrr

OnlineRender
02-12-2011, 03:48 PM
Maybe this should read the January/February Lightwave newsletter? :)

WTF ?

but should you pay for this knowledge ? this is something I disagree on! this involves everyone who uses Lightwave / NT products , why ? because if the sh!t hits the fan , all users feel the dent , and I am not just talking about marketing .

dude think about it ? firstly you have 2 accounts one for work and one for browsing and posting ! and I reckon the Deacon / NT TEAM its 24-7 communication with general forums is somewhat "meh" ,but that's LIFE !

cagey5
02-12-2011, 06:09 PM
agreed

lino.grandi
02-13-2011, 03:30 AM
WTF ?
but should you pay for this knowledge ? this is something I disagree on! this involves everyone who uses Lightwave / NT products , why ? because if the sh!t hits the fan , all users feel the dent , and I am not just talking about marketing .

For "early" knowledge, yes. As I already said, be part of HC forums (which is something you pay for) gives you the "privilege" of knowing things before others do.

Just think about the ones who paid for it. Again, after the next release is out, everyone will know about it.

You already should be aware of what LW10 is and offers today.

Knowing more for now is something reserved to HC members.

KurtF
02-28-2011, 09:32 AM
Using and beta testing is for HardCore members. General information about the development of Core and it's features might help convince the rest of us to become HardCore members.

speismonqui
02-28-2011, 10:01 AM
Using and beta testing is for HardCore members. General information about the development of Core and it's features might help convince the rest of us to become HardCore members.

Couldnt :agree: more. In the beginning of this whole CORE thing, NT threw us non HC members a few bones, being VPR the last one (I still remember that pink dragon), every newsletter has a little CORE info, even the CORE webpage changed a few times with new images and videos. But, again, VPR was the last info about CORE.
Im pretty sure you HC members wouldnt mind if we know today what was going on with CORE, lets say in august 2010? Thow us some old news, basic stuff, maybe a new UI screenshot from Matt.

VPR is already old news, its even in LW10...

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/core/
this is becoming obsolete.

Nemoid
03-17-2011, 06:39 AM
The fact that hardcore membership gives insights about CORE development, doesn't mean some info shouldn't be in newsletters as well. Quite the opposite. users and potential CORE customers should be kept aware on developments for sure. Personally i was quite happy with the past newsletters, but since 2011 i'm not so happy.
Also, Nt has to hire a new marketing guy taking the place of the Deacon.
You cannot abandon customers like this.
My feeling is that they hired him to launch Lw 10, but they got rid of him asap, or, he left for some valid reason. if Nt doesn't want to invest in their product and its marketing, the product itself will sink more and more as time passes.

lardbros
03-17-2011, 06:52 AM
He went to work at some big effects house, is what I heard. I don't think Newtek would have wanted him to go... BUT they DO need someone who is up to the job!!! How much would you pay me Newtek? I'd do it? :D

Actually, seriously, I would!

lwaddict
03-17-2011, 08:09 AM
Wouldn't image posts in the gallery be part of the latest marketing person???
I believe we all welcomed this individual onboard not too long ago?

frantbk
03-17-2011, 10:09 AM

I thought the privilege of HC membership was beta copies of Core, access to the developers of Core, and the privilege of helping direct the development of Core. Besides the one person posting is right. NT stated over a year ago that they would release more Core videos to the general public. I haven't seen one since the statement was made by NT.

Nobody here is asking for Micro information on everything happening with Core. There asking for the Macro information, like where are you at and what have you done so far with Core. It has been two year - can you draw a circle with Core? Or is that a could of upgrades away? :D

speismonqui
03-17-2011, 03:03 PM
I think a video of creating a box with CORE will make us non HC members very happy... at least is something, or maybe a screenshot of Mattīs new UI, thatīll do it!

NT, we are hungry, very hungry!!!

lardbros
03-17-2011, 04:10 PM
I can't imagine they have got that far on Matt's interface design... maybe more mock-ups ready for us... maybe I'm wrong, but i think there's probably a lot more internal stuff going on in Core before they make a big change to the interface.

Matt
03-17-2011, 08:37 PM
Also, Nt has to hire a new marketing guy taking the place of the Deacon.
You cannot abandon customers like this.
My feeling is that they hired him to launch Lw 10, but they got rid of him asap

Sorry this is most incorrect, David decided on his own accord to move on to fulfill a long time ambition, there was nothing underhand about it whatsoever. Also, it is worth nothing Rob was very instrumental in the LW10 launch marketing.

He has moved to bigger and better places...a little NT bird told me and they haven't replaced him yet

Clearly everyone has missed the fact that Vanita posted this thread, might wanna look at her title again!

Matt
03-17-2011, 08:40 PM
Also, it is worth pointing out that the expectation the Newsletter should always have CORE information is not something NewTek have ever suggested or promised, so please try and keep things in perspective. It is still in development.

lardbros
03-18-2011, 02:39 AM
So, Vanita is the new marketing guru??

Should she be showing her face a little more, and maybe rally the troops a bit?!